Contest - Win a GEOSATpro 1.2M Dish, SL2 KU and CK1 LNBF with Bracket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
oh my goodness where to begin :)

I've bolted dishes to many things. When I played with DBS dishes I use to have 61.5 & 148 attached (with duct tape) to my TV aerial mast

I did a review of the Glorystar system with the dish bolted to the bumper of the truck and a piece of wood to keep it from moving

Have had a C-Band dish on a cable spool, a table (and had it fall off 3 times) and now a round table

Have 2 Primestars bolted to the table where the C-Band was...use to have a T90 on that same table at one time

Both tables have sandbags on them to keep from falling :D

Attachments

• Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 000_0443.jpg
    000_0443.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 000_0347.jpg
    000_0347.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 000_0344.jpg
    000_0344.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IM000715.JPG
    IM000715.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IM000714.JPG
    IM000714.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IM000754.JPG
    IM000754.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IM000751.JPG
    IM000751.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 153
  • 000_0115.jpg
    000_0115.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 139
  • 000_0446.jpg
    000_0446.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 140
  • 000_0444.jpg
    000_0444.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 190
  • TOROIDAL 11.JPG
    TOROIDAL 11.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 176
I'm still new to the hobby, so most of the craziest stuff I'm seen has been in posts on this site. The best story I have is one day while looking for unwanted primestar dishes, I saw what looks like a Fixed Ku band dish setup on a garage . Now what makes this sort of bizzarre is that this was a detached rental garage at an apartment complex and the cable ran into the garage, not to the apartments.

All I can guess is someone is watching FTA in their garage. I know this story is lame. But I want to win the mini C band setup :)

This is the only way I had to get a clear view of the arc. It is a 7 1/2 foot mounted on top of a 3 1/2 inch, 17 1/2 foot pipe with 2 1/2 foot in concrete. The pole goes up flush with the storgage building wall, and out the middle, strapped to the building. A pretty good project for this 71 + year old gent, and being the only manual laborer involved, I slept good came bedtime. I added a ku lnbf beside the scaller ring ot the c-band lnbf, and get really good quality signal and picture. I'm trying to include a picture, hope it will go through.

Attachments

• dcp_0034.jpg
    dcp_0034.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
I saw this on the way to church one day and had to take a pic on the way home. It is at a rent house in town so I guess he could not mount dish on the house.

Thanks for the contest.

Attachments

• 100_2293.jpg
    100_2293.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 204
Flying Dish

Not sure why, I live in the country way out in the sticks and one day I looked up and saw the strangest site.
A helicopter flying over towing a satellite dish.
I did not have a camera but it was an amazing site.
It looked like a solid white huge dish?
No pole attached. I do not know what kind it was.
Another time I saw a helicopter flying overhead towing a farm tractor.
It was hanging by the back axle, go figure.
I did not have a camera that day either.
This was many years ago, and pretty weird.
When I tell people about it nowadays they usually think I am pulling their leg.
I have no idea why someone would move stuff with a helicopter but they do.
I just pray it does not fall on my house,or head.:)

The most bizarre way I have ever seen a satellite dish mounted would have been when I visited the Voice of America radio station in Greenville North Carolina in 2004. The Satellite Dish was mounted on the ground-pointing strait up toward the sky parallel with the tower. Up at the top of the tower was some type of passive reflector that reflected the signal from the dish below to its desired location on the horizon.

Here's a picture of the end result of my biggest weekend project I've tried so far. I had a buddy make me a 30' dish pole out of well-casing. I then attached the 10' unimesh dish to it. Had another buddy, who's dad owned a semi-sized wrecker to 'hoist' the thing in the air (at least to the point where two guys on the roof could grab hold of it and pull 'er against the side of the garage.

I then took two pieces of flat iron that I secured to the pole, ran lag-bolts through the outside wall of the garage and using very large wing nuts, seucured the bolts to the inside wall of the garage again using two pieces of flat iron.

Believe it or not, I had preset the elevation (I had installed other BUD's before) and 'eye-balled' the north/south axis so when it came time to peak the dish it only took a few minutes.

Advantage: no one would dare try and steal the dish.
Disadvantage: hard to remove snow (had to use roof rake poles)

p.s. I did this in 1991

Attachments

• sat dish adams st.jpg
    sat dish adams st.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 371
My first attempt at FTA involved securing an 80 cm dish with the provided mount to a slab of plywood on the ground. Luckily, the rules of this contest didn't say anything about the installation working--because it didn't! :D I now have a tripod mount attached to posts set 3' into the ground, which works MUCH better.

The craziest dish install I ever saw was a 1.8m dish with 5 LNBs on it, and Motorized. I always wondered how they are able to (calculate) move East & west of the arc without getting confused of their next or previous positions on the arc?:confused:

Here's my setup. My installer did a pretty good job. Aw heck! I don't know how to post pics. :( Anyhow mine is installed on my privacy fence. I think it's neat.

Thanks for another great contest!!! :up

I need to post some pics of the original temporary mount that I used to attach a primestar dish to a motor three years ago. It was part of the mount off an old directv dish and some old piece of scrap metal I can't identify that is wedged in there to create enough tension to keep the thing from flopping around.

I'll have to go take the pictures first, because the temporary mount is still in use. :)

I'll just say anytime I see somebody attach a dish to a drain vent pipe, I feel to urge to slap somebody around a little bit.

I mean, nearly every day I drive by this one apartment where someone has bolted what I hope is just a 75 cm dish onto a drain pipe vent, and every day I just shake my head. :confused:

Back when those of us with C-band dishes would always take them with us when we moved, I used to take two 2x4's and fasten them to the stake pockets on my pickup so they crossed the bed. Then I laid an old rear tire from a farm tractor on top of the lumber and strapped it to the 2x4's. On top of this went the satellite dish with the mount pointing down, and a few sand bags on top of the dish to hold in place. We never damaged any dishes, but in tight places one had to be aware of the extra width on back of vehicle.

No pics, but I temporarily propped a 6' C-band dish to my patio chairs in the back yard. Worked pretty good for a while - was able to pick up some Spanish language programming on Intelsat 805.

Damn wind put an end to that experiment when the dish blew down the embankment and into a tree....

Hello - New FTA-er here. I thought this would be as good as any time to sign up and post. My first setup- just got it a few days ago from a re-roofing job. Old 1M Muzak dish with linear lnb. It is pointed at G18 (123W). Thats about all I can hit right now because of line of sight probs. Being that close to the fence actually works! I am getting all TPs from that sat. Q is kind of low sometimes - may need a few more pallets:) I guess the best of all would be the leveling job with the sticks - look close for a good laugh.

Attachments

• DSCN4506.JPG
    DSCN4506.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN4507.JPG
    DSCN4507.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCN4505.JPG
    DSCN4505.JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN4504.JPG
    DSCN4504.JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 148
I found my 8' unimesh about 2 miles from my house. I didn't think it would work, but i used my 4x6 utility trailer and hooked it up to my 4x4. With the height of the truck, the little trailer was almost dragging bottom. We got the dish down, centered it on the trailer, and i had my brother-in-law ride on the tail gate and hold the dish while we idled home. Where theirs a will, theirs a way :up
Sorry, no photos

It will be nearly impossible to top most of these responses, but attached is a photo from Romania I've been wanting to share with the group for a long time. I didn't take the photo, nor did I see the scene. Some of the group may have seen this before, but I think it ranks among the bizaare......:rolleyes:

Thanks millions for the great contest.........Bill

Attachments

• AROMANIA.jpg
    AROMANIA.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 178
Friends of mine have a small mobile home as a summer house in Mtn View, AR.
Years ago they moved it onto a different lot about 2 miles from it's original location.
I was helping them move the front and back porches with a drop-bed car-hauler.
The back porch corner post shared concrete with a 8' mesh BUD.
(Friend wanted to keep all the poured concrete on the supports... and didn't want to touch anything on the dish because he was afraid we'd never get it tuned back correctly... trying to make this 'simple'... errr... yeah, right)
We used handyman jacks & hydraulic floor jacks to uproot all the concrete and winched the porch, concrete, BUD, and all onto the truck bed.
So, a back porch deck + 8' mesh BUD, fully assembled, on the bed of a truck, going down the highway...
I sure wish I had pics...
And, just so you know, I ended up disassembling the BUD and we moved it further away from the porch. Spent the next weekend getting it re-tuned.
(They've since gotten D* and the BUD now sits idle...)

I wish I had taken a picture....Last summer a neighbor asked if I wanted the old 10' mesh dish in his yard, I said "Oh yea". The following Saturday my daughter said a tractor was comming down the lane.....with the dish lashed to the loader bucket. The original post now has a pizza dish, so sad. That tractor delivered dish is now sitting in my array pointed at 99W.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)