Continuing problems with Dish receivers

No, just call a good electrician to test out your house.
I hope he's good at solving software problems :) To repeat... static or whatever is not going to always cause exactly the same software problem, events marked as incorrect when they are not. Maybe I'll just drive the stake through the heart of the box as there are no problems with several computers and misc other electronic devices in the house.

I hope he's good at solving software problems :) To repeat... static or whatever is not going to always cause exactly the same software problem, events marked as incorrect when they are not. Maybe I'll just drive the stake through the heart of the box.
Think what you want. Just remember, you seem to be an island unto yourself here.

Just curious but what is the event that this keeps happening on? Also have you deleted that timer and created a new one? Are all tuners in use when this happens.

If that doesn't work have you moved the receiver to another location to see if the problem follows?

Just curious but what is the event that this keeps happening on? Also have you deleted that timer and created a new one? Are all tuners in use when this happens.

If that doesn't work have you moved the receiver to another location to see if the problem follows?
No particular event. It only happens occasionally, generally many days between problems. Usually its the only program to be recorded at that time. However, the most recent event was two programs at the same time. If there was a tuner conflict the system wouldn't have let me schedule both programs in the first place.

I haven't tried deleting the timer and creating a new one. That sounds like a good idea if, and only if, I catch the problem before it happens. Of course it doesn't actually fix the problem except for that one time. Unfortunately after the program has been missed its too late. That's why I check the scheduled program list often but I don't always catch it in time.

There is nowhere to move the receiver to, cables from the dish aren't exactly movable when routed through the walls from the attic and the TV doesn't move easily either. All other electronics in the same area have no problems, Roku, DVD player, TV.

Is your Hopper on an open shelf or enclosed in a bookcase. My HWS was rebooting every other night and I added a fan underneath and it solved the problem. Plus overheating can cause other problems to pop up once the temperature rises. Add a fan and as other have suggested, get a UPS backup to plug it into. The APC backup seperates the other compnents, so they do not cause interference.

I hope he's good at solving software problems :) To repeat... static or whatever is not going to always cause exactly the same software problem, events marked as incorrect when they are not. Maybe I'll just drive the stake through the heart of the box as there are no problems with several computers and misc other electronic devices in the house.
You have a good point that static or whatever is not going to cause exactly the same software issue. But, it wouldn't hurt to ground your disk and coax cables, static can cause issues. Also, jerryez has a good point about Hopper heat causing problems. When I first started out with Dish 722s I had a heat issue within 4 days on one of the 722s. Installed fans and reboot issue went away. I installed fans on all four of my HWSs and one of my Joeys from day one of installation. Have you checked your heat readings for your Hoppers?

You have a good point that static or whatever is not going to cause exactly the same software issue. But, it wouldn't hurt to ground your disk and coax cables, static can cause issues. Also, jerryez has a good point about Hopper heat causing problems. When I first started out with Dish 722s I had a heat issue within 4 days on one of the 722s. Installed fans and reboot issue went away. I installed fans on all four of my HWSs and one of my Joeys from day one of installation. Have you checked your heat readings for your Hoppers?
So you are saying that heat can cause exactly the same software problem multiple times, interesting... It is sitting on a shelf with considerable clearance back and above, modest clearance on the sides. If a fan is really needed in that situation it is really a very terrible design. However, that is unlikely as it is very easy to design for ventilation and temperature considerations, not so easy to find a very intermittent software bug.

So you are saying that heat can cause exactly the same software problem multiple times, interesting... It is sitting on a shelf with considerable clearance back and above, modest clearance on the sides. If a fan is really needed in that situation it is really a very terrible design. However, that is unlikely as it is very easy to design for ventilation and temperature considerations, not so easy to find a very intermittent software bug.
Not saying yours is, but you never want to sent it on top of another component, particularly an AV receiver.

You never know. So what are your temps in the Common Counters menu? (Yellow - Blue - 3 - View Counters - Page down about thirteen times)

I don't see any screen where that sequence does anything relating to counters.
OK, try the following with your remote control with your Hopper in live TV mode: Press Menu, select Settings, select Network Setup, select Test, select View Counters, and then press your Page down arrow approximately thirteen times. (Yellow - Blue - 3 - View Counters - Page down about thirteen times) On the right hand side under Common Counters you should see HDD High Temp, HDD Low Temp, and HDD Average Temp. What are those Fahrenheit degree readings?

I don't think you really want help resolving this - you just want to bitch.
I did say it was a rant :) I thought someone might of had the same experience with missed recordings. I guess not. All the "good practice" suggestions are very nice but don't seem to relate to the problem at hand, a very specific software problem.

OK, try the following with your remote control with your Hopper in live TV mode: Press Menu, select Settings, select Network Setup, select Test, select View Counters, and then press your Page down arrow approximately thirteen times. (Yellow - Blue - 3 - View Counters - Page down about thirteen times) On the right hand side under Common Counters you should see HDD High Temp, HDD Low Temp, and HDD Average Temp. What are those Fahrenheit degree readings?
I can get to View Counters but the cursor won't move over to the slider area and there are no colored button selections.

I can get to View Counters but the cursor won't move over to the slider area and there are no colored button selections.

The arrow doesn't move over to the slider area. Just start pressing the Page down arrow on your remote control. The slider menu will start to scroll.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts