Contract Changes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcavaiani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
WI
Does anyone know what is going on with the ATT/Directv contract changes (new policy/charges/crackdown?) regarding the moving of a home receiver to a secondary/summer location?

(f) Phone Connections. For optimal performance of your Receiving Equipment, including ordering with your remote control or receiving certain Services, your equipment must be directly connected to the same land-based telephone line or internet connection. If you add Service on additional TVs, you may purchase a separate subscription for each additional TV, or, if all your equipment is continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line, we can charge you only the fee amount listed in the Equipment Lease Agreement. You agree to provide true and accurate information about the location of your equipment. If it is determined that the equipment is not at the service address identified on your account, we may disconnect the equipment or charge you the full programming subscription price for the equipment.

(g) Mobile Units. We provide Service to Receiving Equipment installed in mobile units such as campers, boats and other recreational vehicles. However, this Receiving Equipment is not eligible for the additional TV authorization discount described in Section 1(f).

(f) Phone Connections. For optimal performance of your Receiving Equipment, including ordering with your remote control or receiving certain Services, your equipment must be directly connected to the same land-based telephone line or internet connection. If you add Service on additional TVs, you may purchase a separate subscription for each additional TV, or, if all your equipment is continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line, we can charge you only the fee amount listed in the Equipment Lease Agreement. You agree to provide true and accurate information about the location of your equipment. If it is determined that the equipment is not at the service address identified on your account, we may disconnect the equipment or charge you the full programming subscription price for the equipment.

(g) Mobile Units. We provide Service to Receiving Equipment installed in mobile units such as campers, boats and other recreational vehicles. However, this Receiving Equipment is not eligible for the additional TV authorization discount described in Section 1(f).

I'm not clear, are you saying that is different or substantially different than it has been? It's similar to what DISH has always been.

Reactions: dcavaiani
I never read contract b/4. Just got email which said changes to customer agreement were about to be initiated, so I did read it thru this time ....

Like I said before, people do it all the time, D* knows about alot of them, some not.

Do you really need the internet features at both locations ?
Simple solution is to call them and say, hey, I am gonna put a D* box at my cottage.

Or don't call and just do it.

I would never hook a cottage/rv/vacation home up to the internet ... thats just me.

The . must be hooked to the land line is really old terminology.
Internet works fine for these features.

Nothing has changed and if you don't hook up phone or Internet to the box they have no way of knowing where it is.

Nothing has changed and if you don't hook up phone or Internet to the box they have no way of knowing where it is.
That is what I was wondering - their tracking of a box. I do NOT use an Internet connection ever to any box - no matter where it is located. Thank you ALL! Also, IF I order PPV movies from a laptop (at Home or at Camper), does that ever actually indicate where ANY of the boxes are located ?? However, I DO use a VOIP MagicJack phone connection to the boxes while at my home??

Last edited:
That is what I was wondering - their tracking of a box. I do NOT use an Internet connection ever to any box - no matter where it is located. Thank you ALL! Also, IF I order PPV movies from a laptop (at Home or at Camper), does that ever actually indicate where ANY of the boxes are located ?? However, I DO use a VOIP MagicJack phone connection to the boxes while at my home??
I suppose they could see the one at home, but I don't know if its anything to worry about ...

Whats the chances of them looking at YOUR box at a particular time when they have 100,000,000,000 boxes out there.

I suppose they could see the one at home, but I don't know if its anything to worry about ...

Whats the chances of them looking at YOUR box at a particular time when they have 100,000,000,000 boxes out there.

I suppose that depends not manually see it. Easy enough to have a program that reports when boxes from the same account are in different locations based on IP. I don't think there is any real effort by either Sat provider to do anything different than over the years now. And it also seems the "tailgating" or camper use has become more allowed by them even if not by contract. With DISH and recent Hopper - VIP211 policy seems to allow a camper without needing to move other receivers as in the past.

I suppose that depends not manually see it. Easy enough to have a program that reports when boxes from the same account are in different locations based on IP. I don't think there is any real effort by either Sat provider to do anything different than over the years now. And it also seems the "tailgating" or camper use has become more allowed by them even if not by contract. With DISH and recent Hopper - VIP211 policy seems to allow a camper without needing to move other receivers as in the past.
The Camping/ RV/Tailgating has always been odd.
I see no reason why any company should make you get a separate account just to use it when traveling.

As for they seeing your recvr via IP address, yes that would be very easy if they decided to go that route ... seeing the recommend you setting your recvr up to the internet.
Easy solution if you don't want them to see a recvr, just don't hook up to the internet or phone line.
I have 1 recvr at the house that is connected, the rest are not. Not really needed to be.

Reactions: Tampa8
This whole thing might become more of an issue as the HS17 rolls out. No other boxes allowed on the account. So no receiver in the RV or at the camp, unless on a separate account.

7 clients is the limit. And these would all have DVR capability. And no other equipment on the account (see the "first look")
Maybe they will produce a business account version....

This whole thing might become more of an issue as the HS17 rolls out. No other boxes allowed on the account. So no receiver in the RV or at the camp, unless on a separate account.
Wait a minute, who said no other boxes allowed on the account ?
What happens when you don't want to rely on 1 box for recordings ?

I can see I will never be upgrading to that new system.

So, do you think they are going to just contact thier million people and say, ok everyone has to move to this new system and return thier existing set ups ?

They haven't been able to get everyone on the Genie system let alone a new system.

read the first look.
This seems to be intended mainly as a system for new customers who need more clients and recordings.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)