Contract vs. no contract

joeyjojojnr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I see a lot of discussions that involve the issue of either having a contract or not.

It sounds like if one decided to go under contract right now, they commit to a 2 year contract in exchange for a) free installation (save $99) and b) 3 months of free premium channels.

If I don't want a contract, is it just a matter of saying 'no' and paying the $99 installation fee?

Any strong arguments FOR going under contract?

I'm hoping (perhaps naively) that new options will be coming down the pipe (FIOS, IPTV, etc.) so would be reluctant to a 2 year deal.

I see a lot of discussions that involve the issue of either having a contract or not.

It sounds like if one decided to go under contract right now, they commit to a 2 year contract in exchange for a) free installation (save $99) and b) 3 months of free premium channels.

If I don't want a contract, is it just a matter of saying 'no' and paying the $99 installation fee?

Any strong arguments FOR going under contract?

I'm hoping (perhaps naively) that new options will be coming down the pipe (FIOS, IPTV, etc.) so would be reluctant to a 2 year deal.

MONEY that you'll have to pay upfront, if you go without a contract. See below.

If you don't want a contract you also MUST buy and pay for the receiver and dishes, which you have to install by yourself, or pay a 3rd party to install for you. Otherwise, you will be under contract for the leased equipment.

MONEY that you'll have to pay upfront, if you go without a contract. See below.

If you don't want a contract you also MUST buy and pay for the receiver and dishes, which you have to install by yourself, or pay a 3rd party to install for you. Otherwise, you will be under contract for the leased equipment.
Not true

You can go no contract through the E* website and have them install it for you, I am fairly certian you dont have to "buy" the equipment either. You simply have to pay a higher initial fee for not having the contract

Huh...intereting. OK, so I guess I need to figure out the buy/lease issue with the equipment.

I suppose one drawback to the no-contract is that they could raise rates any time, right?

People are talking about rate hikes come February in these forums. If under contract, would they NOT raise them for me? Or is there no guarantee of rate increases regardless of the contract issue?

Rate increases will happen for everyone contract or not (unless you are in a package not offered anymore and dont change anything)

If I am not mistaken, Feb is around the time for dish to do this

I didn't go with the contract. I had to pay for the installation ($49 at the time) but the receivers are leased, I didn't have to buy anything.

Rate increases will happen for everyone contract or not (unless you are in a package not offered anymore and dont change anything)

If I am not mistaken, Feb is around the time for dish to do this

Interesting. So this seems to be a pretty lop-sided contract. It benefits Dish and doesn't really do much for the consumer. Not that I'm surprised. ;o)

Interesting. So this seems to be a pretty lop-sided contract. It benefits Dish and doesn't really do much for the consumer. Not that I'm surprised. ;o)
I am actually suprised that they still offer the option to not have a contract considering you dont have to flat out buy the equipment.

I like not having a contract. It allows me to call them every so often to cancel my service for an offer from one of their competitors. They send me to retentions and I get a nice little discount on my bill to stay with DISH. This helps to offset all their stupid fees they nickel and dime me for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)