Controlling TV1 from Another Room

agredon

Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I have a ViP 722 Dish Network DVR. The Receiver is in the entertainment center in the living room. I have a High-Definition LCD in my bedroom connected through the wall with a 6' HDMI Cable. I have another TV (CRT) in my bedroom connected through a DVD-Recorder by Coax (TV1 = Ch. 60, TV2 = Ch. 62). The component doesn't work on the receiver (the installer blamed it on the TV, but my DVD Player plays just fine through component, so the problem is clearly with the receiver), so the TV in the living room is connected by TV1 Composite for the time being.

Since, HDTV is only available on TV1 (HDMI), I currently cannot control the channel, etc...for my LCD without walking out to the living room and using the remote out there. I need to be able to control TV1 by UHF from my room. Its not possible to move the receiver at the present time.

I should be possible with the right uhf remote, and some programming steps. We did that with a 622 a while ago, but sadly don't recall the steps. They are on here somewhere, even has pics I think.

I have a ViP 722 Dish Network DVR. The Receiver is in the entertainment center in the living room. I have a High-Definition LCD in my bedroom connected through the wall with a 6' HDMI Cable. I have another TV (CRT) in my bedroom connected through a DVD-Recorder by Coax (TV1 = Ch. 60, TV2 = Ch. 62). The component doesn't work on the receiver (the installer blamed it on the TV, but my DVD Player plays just fine through component, so the problem is clearly with the receiver), so the TV in the living room is connected by TV1 Composite for the time being.

Since, HDTV is only available on TV1 (HDMI), I currently cannot control the channel, etc...for my LCD without walking out to the living room and using the remote out there. I need to be able to control TV1 by UHF from my room. Its not possible to move the receiver at the present time.

You have to be in "Single Mode not "Dual Mode" for this to work. Remote2 operates on a UHF radio frequency not IR.

Remote2
Press and Hold SAT Mode button till it lights flash
Press (any number 1 to 16)
Press #
Press record

Their might be a way to get the a UHF remote to work on TV1 in "Dual Mode" that I'm not aware of, I don't know.

I would suspect the component issue is a setup probem with the TV not the 722, I would try again. I have never heard anybody having the component out going bad on VIP 622/722.

i had my 622 in my basement for a spell and controlled tuner 1 and 2 from 2 different UHF remotes
but the installer set them up so i don't know how he did it,but it can be done. But I don't know if u can control tuner one with both a UHF remote and a IR remote at he some time.

But I don't know if u can control tuner one with both a UHF remote and a IR remote at the same time.(so much for spell check)

If you want use it in dual mode you will need to get a 6.3 ir/uhf remote with the green tab labled TV1 uhf with the #1 in black. If you want to use it in single mode you can use the TV2 remote to control via uhf.

I have a 622 and use a 6.3 remote for tv1 and tv2. If you buy a 6.3 remote and put the black UHF tab in the remote you can use it to control TV1 the same way you do TV2. just program the address to match tv1.

On some TV's the input won't work until you go into the TV menu and label that input, this has been a real head scratcher on some installs.

You said that the DVD componet input works fine, did you unplug the DVD from that input and try the receiver there?

I got the IR to UHF upgrade kit, which will do just this.

I got it b/c I have a built in with vented sides but a wooden front door so this remote lets me keep the font door closed (which pleases my wife and protects my equipment from the kids.)

That said, the exact same solution should help solve your problem too!

There is already a uhf remote and antenna on his 722. If you run dual mode, you can convert the tv1 remote to uhf also.

So you can purchase just the black UHF chip? I didn't realize this was available this way...

Or are you just suggesting he use the TV2 remote for TV1?
You can do either. I have seen the chips for sale but if you pull off the existing chip and flip the switch manually, you can do the same thing as the chip - it's just plastic.

I got the 6.3 remote to control TV1, but I have not been able to get the 5.3 to control TV2. The 5.3 [Green] chip seems to be non-removable, unlike the 6.3.

I got the 6.3 remote to control TV1, but I have not been able to get the 5.3 to control TV2. The 5.3 [Green] chip seems to be non-removable, unlike the 6.3.

I think the 5.3 is an IR only, so there is no way to make it UHF, even with a green or black chip. The remote has to have the RF hardware inside. I don't know which ones do, but I think it's the 6.x's

I think the 5.3 is an IR only, so there is no way to make it UHF, even with a green or black chip. The remote has to have the RF hardware inside. I don't know which ones do, but I think it's the 6.x's

I'm sure somone here can point you to where to get a good deal on a 6.3...otherwise I know dish will sell you the whole upgrade kit...that's what I ended up getting, and it will indeed work.

That's weird - when I got my 622 18 months ago, both remotes were the same kind. I bought a set of chips off ebay for a few dollars but then I found out how to just flip the switch on the remote without needing a special chip.

You can get the uhf capable remotes fairly cheap. If you already pay the dhpp you can call Dish and tell them you need one.

Heres what interesting.... the thing that Scott posted.... references menu selections that are no longer available.... according to the interactive menus on tech.dishnetwork.com

I am thinking about adding a 622 or 722 But I need to be able to run Dual Mode with both TV1 and TV2 to be controlled with a 6.3 IR/UHF remote

anyone care to comment if I will be able to configure the remotes to make them work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts