Conus locals

Fredde87

Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
Hi Guys,

Sorry yet another thread about distant programming. I was just curious, I know Dish has discontinued their distant packaging as of February this year. But I was just curious, if I ordered a dish receiver with either SF or NY address, will I be able to pick up the locals from the Conus beams or just from spot beams?
I see on Lyngsat that the SF and NY feeds appear to still be live on the Conus beam, so I was just curious if new yorkers and san franciscans could take their receivers with them on their RVs etc to other areas and still pick up locals from the conus beams on 119W/129W?

Thanks!

Just not worth going into the explanation again, so NO is the correct answer.

and for the record, Dish didn't discontinue it, the company that was offering them ceased to exist.

Everyone likes to notice the CONUS Locals on the satellites but if you check the list, New York, NY is on spot beams.

Only Dish knows why there are CONUS Locals but they are not for us.

Just not worth going into the explanation again, so NO is the correct answer.

This response could be used on nearly every issue that comes up on this forum, yet you continue to post (almost 8500 times).

Everyone likes to notice the CONUS Locals on the satellites but if you check the list, New York, NY is on spot beams.

Only Dish knows why there are CONUS Locals but they are not for us.

Is this the list you're referring to?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall&sub=true&market=New York, NY

Thanks for clarifying guys. Can someone then clarify, I have read a lot about people saying that until there is a solution to this they have been calling Dish and getting them to change their locals to the region they are now in. Can someone advise exactly how you do this? Have they got a normal dish subscription or do you still have to send proof that its on a RV etc?

As they drive their RV from state to state, the fall under different spot beams and must call dish with their current location to receive the locals for that site.

If you are within a spot beam, your receiver can decode the locals that paint that area if you notify Dish.

I don't know if you have to be known as an RV account but stating that when you chat (I prefer) simplifies things a lot, like why are you moving.

Check in with your account number and pin, state that you want to change your Service Address to <new location> and you want the Locals set. I usually ask for one of the new Local channels so I can identify when the change happens, which is usually is a few minutes. It takes about a day for the EPG to fill out.

This response could be used on nearly every issue that comes up on this forum, yet you continue to post (almost 8500 times).
This issue is different from almost all other issues that come up on this forum (ie, the non-negative answer is frowned upon). So, yes, his NO post has merit.

Folks, let's not get nasty. If you don't want to answer, don't. If the thread is repetitive to you, don't read it. Let's keep it friendly, shall we?

As the to question about CONUS locals, San Francisco and New York are both on spot beams. This means that the signal that carries NYC and SF locals only reaches a very narrow area around their respective cities. Dish does have some local markets on ConUS (Continental US) beams that reach everywhere in the country, but only allow people who live within that local channel group's service area to subscribe to them. One could "move" to a particular city with ConUS locals. It would affect the time shown on the receiver if it's in a different time zone, and would also affect the eligibility for sports events, regional sports networks, and even availability of adult channels depending on your new "home" state and local laws. Dish Network does not encourage or openly allow "moving". An individual subscriber may only subscribe to ONE set of local channels. NO ONE can subscribe to more than one set through Dish.

Keeping all that in mind, the current local markets on Dish carried on ConUS at 77° ONLY include:
Bowling Green, KY
Bluefield, WV
Cincinnati, OH
Columbus, GA
Davenport, IA*
Evansville, IN*

Ft. Wayne, IN
Jacksonville, FL
Lexington, KY
Lima, OH
Little Rock, AR*
Louisville, KY
Paducah, KY
Springfield, MO*

[EDIT]
New York SD Only locals are on ConUS available ONLY to NYC area subscribers from 119°
[/edit]

*Either already moved or are moving to spot beams.
Some of these may also be on other sat locations, but are on Spot beam at those other locations.

NO OTHER LOCAL MARKETS ARE CONUS and available to subscribers even if your name begins with a Charlie and ends with an Ergan!

Last edited:
The LA and NY locals seem to be what most people want who did not live in those cites. The LA car chases and local news were extremely popular :).

I'm told by a very knowledgeable poster here those are only available in very rare circumstances, but again the general answer is for most every subscriber NO, you can't get those. The questions will keep coming, but the answer sadly for some is still always no.

What he said. NYC and LA locals (SD Only) are on ConUS but not available to mere mortals. Period. Full stop. This is not likely to change EVER. IOW, even NYC subscribers don't get those particular channels IIRC. The NYC/LA locals are on spot beam.

Folks, let's not get nasty. If you don't want to answer, don't. If the thread is repetitive to you, don't read it. Let's keep it friendly, shall we?

As the to question about CONUS locals, San Francisco and New York are both on spot beams. This means that the signal that carries NYC and SF locals only reaches a very narrow area around their respective cities. Dish does have some local markets on ConUS (Continental US) beams that reach everywhere in the country, but only allow people who live within that local channel group's service area to subscribe to them. One could "move" to a particular city with ConUS locals. It would affect the time shown on the receiver if it's in a different time zone, and would also affect the eligibility for sports events, regional sports networks, and even availability of adult channels depending on your new "home" state and local laws. Dish Network does not encourage or openly allow "moving". An individual subscriber may only subscribe to ONE set of local channels. NO ONE can subscribe to more than one set through Dish.

Keeping all that in mind, the current local markets on Dish carried on ConUS at 77° ONLY include:
Bowling Green, KY
Bluefield, WV
Cincinnati, OH
Columbus, GA
Davenport, IA*
Evansville, IN*

Ft. Wayne, IN
Jacksonville, FL
Lexington, KY
Lima, OH
Little Rock, AR*
Louisville, KY
Paducah, KY
Springfield, MO*

*Either already moved or are moving to spot beams.
Some of these may also be on other sat locations, but are on Spot beam at those other locations.

NO OTHER LOCAL MARKETS ARE CONUS and available to subscribers even if your name begins with a Charlie and ends with an Ergan!
Channel 11 and channel9 are conus out of NY..they are superstationd

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)