Conus locals

I have been reading the posts here, and I'm a bit confused about the spot beam experiences being discussed.
For years, I have been receiving NYC locals on my Dish account. I am located in Galveston Texas.
I use my LI New York address, and with the exception of the inconvenience of having replacement receivers shipped to my NY address, I've never had an issue.
The only exception would be that when Dish did go to spot beams years ago, I lost my WNET PBS.
But locals like 2,4,5,7,9,11 (11 is being arbitrated rt now).
There were mirror channels of these locals w/four digit numbers, but I never paid much attention to them. Think they're gone now.
Additionally, I'm sure NY has a lot of other non-network, local channels that I apparently am not getting.
I have had this setup for many years. At least before 9-11-2001. I remember watching it unfold live on WNBC 4.
I have since tried to get Detroit locals on another receiver acct. and locals did not work. I was able to see the channel info, but not the content. There was just a screen telling me that this local channel is not working, no need to call us...
Reading the discussion here I thought you all might find this interesting.

Reactions: Tampa8
Yes I do find that interesting. Don't make any changes to your account! :)

You had the Conus version on the 119 Satellite (likely) and somehow that never got changed to the Spotbeams on 110.

I have been reading the posts here, and I'm a bit confused about the spot beam experiences being discussed.
For years, I have been receiving NYC locals on my Dish account. I am located in Galveston Texas.
I use my LI New York address, and with the exception of the inconvenience of having replacement receivers shipped to my NY address, I've never had an issue.
The only exception would be that when Dish did go to spot beams years ago, I lost my WNET PBS.
But locals like 2,4,5,7,9,11 (11 is being arbitrated rt now).
There were mirror channels of these locals w/four digit numbers, but I never paid much attention to them. Think they're gone now.
Additionally, I'm sure NY has a lot of other non-network, local channels that I apparently am not getting.
I have had this setup for many years. At least before 9-11-2001. I remember watching it unfold live on WNBC 4.
I have since tried to get Detroit locals on another receiver acct. and locals did not work. I was able to see the channel info, but not the content. There was just a screen telling me that this local channel is not working, no need to call us...
Reading the discussion here I thought you all might find this interesting.
I assume you are getting New York channels in SD, not HD. If you have a hopper, you will not be able to get Prime Time Anytime.

Detroit was switch to spot beams many years ago. Their was a time it was on a continuous beam at 110 but those days are gone

The NYC locals at 119° are still ConUS. I've always wondered why they've kept them there.

Locals on ConUS beams as of right now are:
77°
Bluefield (No New Subscribers? On Spot Beam @61.5)
Cincinnati (On Spotbeam at 110+119, but only ConUS @77 for HD and Eastern Arc)
Columbus, GA (No New Subscribers? On Spot Beam @61.5)
Davenport (No New Subscribers? On Spot Beam @61.5/110)
Evansville (No New Subscribers? On Spot Beam @61.5/110)
Fort Wayne (No New Subscribers? On Spot Beam @61.5/110+119)
Jacksonville (No New Subscribers? On Spot Beam @61.5)
Lexington (No New Subscribers? On Spot Beam @61.5/110)
Lima (No New Subscribers? On Spot Beam @61.5/129)
Little Rock (No New Subscribers? On Spot Beam @61.5/110)
Louisville (No New Subscribers? On Spot Beam @61.5)
Paducah (No New Subscribers? On Spot Beam @61.5/119)
Springfield, MO (No New Subscribers? On Spot Beam @61.5/110)

119°
Boston (WSBK Only)
Denver (KWGN* Only)
Los Angeles (KTLA* Only)
New York (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, WWOR, WPIX*)
San Diego (XETV ONLY)
*Not available now due to Tribune dispute

PBSx national feed Only (61.5°, 77°, 119°)
Abilene
Bakersfield
Bristol (Tri Cities)
Beaumont
Dothan
Glendive
Harlingen/Brownsville
Hattiesburg
Lafayette, IN
Laredo
Mankato
Ottumwa
Palm Springs
Parkersburg
Rockford
San Angelo
Santa Barbara
Sherman
St. Joseph, MO
Utica
Victoria, TX
Wichita Falls
Yuma
Zanesville

I assume you are getting New York channels in SD, not HD. If you have a hopper, you will not be able to get Prime Time Anytime.

I think you nailed it. I'm using a simple 311 rcvr so I'd never notice HD from SD anyway.
I just called and switched my service address to my actual Texas location. Funny, this will be the first time I've had locals since before 2000.
I know my receiver is not HD but my TVs are, and it seems like my new Texas locals look and sound better than the NY locals did...Maybe it's just the power of suggestion.
My technology is definitely behind. But then, I just amble around between a few channels (APL,NTGEO,HGTV,TRV, etc) evenings...Cable news on in the background during the day. So I don't expect much from my TVs to begin with...
Lots of good info here. I was getting nowhere with my own searches on the subject. Thanks guys!

Your locals could be MPEG4 SD which generally look better than the MPEG2 NYC SD channels. If you are getting locals from 61.5 instead of 110, that could make the difference.

Your locals could be MPEG4 SD which generally look better than the MPEG2 NYC SD channels. If you are getting locals from 61.5 instead of 110, that could make the difference.

None of the main NYC locals are in SD EA....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)