CONUS & spotbeam questions

Foil also pertained to Pittsburgh locals when they were on both 77 and 61.5. Dish maybe arranged it so that those of us on EA got the Pittsburgh locals off 61.5, which prevented them from coming off 77. This was important for the Pittsburgh "movers". You could put foil over the 61.5 LNB and restore your Pittsburgh locals, until Dish took them down off 77.
Not sure which DMA you are referring to, but the Pittsburgh locals never were on CONUS and spotbeam at the same time. At one point, they were on 77CONUS, then they were moved to 61.5CONUS for a few months, and then when the spotbeam was activated, they were moved from the 61.5CONUS to 61.5 spotbeam. I do know that Jacksonville FL is currently on 61.5 spotbeam and 77CONUS concurrently.

Foil also pertained to Pittsburgh locals when they were on both 77 and 61.5. Dish maybe arranged it so that those of us on EA got the Pittsburgh locals off 61.5, which prevented them from coming off 77. This was important for the Pittsburgh "movers". You could put foil over the 61.5 LNB and restore your Pittsburgh locals, until Dish took them down off 77.

Incidentally, there are still a few HD locals on CONUS, if you care for their DMAs.
I believe I understand a bit better. The foil was used before the 77 tweak was revoked; now there is no need to foil in my DMA.

Speaking of HD locals, I don't seem to find local sub-stations in my DMA, such as RTV ("Retro TV" found on WTOV's OTA digital channel 9.2). I don't believe there is a local MeTV or CW network, except in the Pittsburgh DMA.

Speaking of HD locals, I don't seem to find local sub-stations in my DMA, such as RTV ("Retro TV" found on WTOV's OTA digital channel 9.2). I don't believe there is a local MeTV or CW network, except in the Pittsburgh DMA.
5291 WTRF (7) Wheeling, WV - CBS, 7
5292 WTOV (9) Steubenville, OH - NBC, 9
5294 WOUC (44) Cambridge, WV - PBS, 44
6790 WTRF3 (10) Wheeling, WV - CBS, 10
6793 WTRF2 (32) Wheeling, WV - CBS, 32

Nope, that's about all you get in Wheeling, unless something is being imported in from another DMA, like an ABC or FOX affiliate. 10 and 32 look to maybe be subchannels.

Nope, that's about all you get in Wheeling, unless something is being imported in from another DMA, like an ABC or FOX affiliate. 10 and 32 look to maybe be subchannels.
The three WTRF channels are confusing to many people. As I mentioned earlier, WTRF runs 3 of the big 4 networks: CBS, ABC, & Fox. They use the same news staff for all three networks; for the longest time, this area did not have ABC or Fox -- until about 6 years ago.

Not sure which DMA you are referring to, but the Pittsburgh locals never were on CONUS and spotbeam at the same time. At one point, they were on 77CONUS, then they were moved to 61.5CONUS for a few months, and then when the spotbeam was activated, they were moved from the 61.5CONUS to 61.5 spotbeam.

I thought Pittsburgh locals were on both sats at one time. Sorry about that. I stand corrected.

I checked on my Dish channel guide, and, basing on the channel's programming content, the WTRF descriptions should read as follows:
6790 WTRF3 (10) Wheeling, WV - ABC, 10
6793 WTRF2 (32) Wheeling, WV - FOX, 32

Last edited:
Yeah, there's a thread about reporting anomalies like this...I'll find it.

EDIT: ...and I posted your info in that thread.

This type of reply is what I was expecting at the onset. Although I am now wondering where to put the foil, lol.

In all seriousness, it sounds like there is nothing the customer can do to tweak the Dish; only Dish can change/"move" a customer on their system. Is this an accurate conclusion?
I thought I made this abundantly clear in post #6.

I believe all my questions have been answered on this topic. Thanks for all the interactive help from the majority of the group. I have learned much more than I anticipated!

We'll decide when you have enough information. :D:D:D
That's acceptable, as long as it doesn't implement the stern lecture formula aforementioned, i.e. abundantly clear.

P.S. I recall that Gordon Shumway is the alias that the popular hairy alien ALF used, but I haven't heard of Vandelay Industries.

ohpfan said:
P.S. I recall that Gordon Shumway is the alias that the popular hairy alien ALF used, but I haven't heard of Vandelay Industries.
I did some research and it is the name of the latex manufacturer from the sitcom Seinfeld. Oddly enough, another portmanteau ["sitcom"] appears in this thread, what are the odds?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)