convert 6x8 multiswitch to swm

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ruxpin810

Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
i currently have a slimline 5lnb dish that's set up with a multiswitch. i got an hr24 dvr and an h24 receiver and i tried setting it up with my current multiswitch setup and can only get sd channels. i have all the equipment to set up a swm system but i need to know if my current dish can be set up for swm and how i go about doing this. i jst need to know which of the single wires from the dish i need to connect to the swm splitter. thanks.

i didn't realize til i read about it that you can replace the lnb. is there a disadvantage to doing this? thanks.

There is no disadvantage to replacing the LNB with a SWM LNB that I can think of. And you are right, if you don't go with a SWM system and just use B-Band converters, you will have no whole home.

The only disadvantage I can think of is not being able to use non swm capable receivers/dvrs. That's if you are using a swm lnb. If you have a swm8 or swm16 switch, you can.

First, just to make sure its not a case of simple oversight;

In the MENU under "PREFERENCES," make sure you don't have the receivers set on "Hide HD channels."

If you take off the lnb, how many outputs does it have?
If it has one its swm.

You would have to replace the lnb for a swm one, get a power inserter and a swm 8/16 as mentioned.
Then as mentioned make sure all your receivers are swm compatible.

If you have any d12s or R15/16s you will need band stop filters

If you take off the lnb, how many outputs does it have?
If it has one its swm.

You would have to replace the lnb for a swm one, get a power inserter and a swm 8/16 as mentioned. ...

I think you mean replace a conventional 4 output LNB for a SWiM type one and a PI. Or keep the conventional one and get a SWiM 8/16 as mentioned with a PI as well
... Then as mentioned make sure all your receivers are swm compatible.

If you have any d12s or R15/16s you will need band stop filters

True if using WHDVR service, however the R15s are not SWiM compatible nor WH capable and can only be used off the legacy ports of an external SWiM module install.

No BSF is necessary for the legacy ports.

Iceberg said:
why? I know my mom has a D12 on a TV and its just hooked up to the SWM splitter (no whole home on the account)

Because if she has a deca on the receivers or she has HR24/34 with the internal deca's they could possibly interfere with the D12's or R16's. They send the MRV frequency regardless so they could cause the above receivers to pix/freeze frame

thanks for all the suggestions everyone. i think i will go with the easiest/safest/cheapest way in getting b-band converters. i can live w/o whole home dvr for now. thanks again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts