Convert a Primestar dish into a Dish 1000?

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Has anyone tried to convert a Primestar dish into a Dish 1000? What I want to do is use a spare Primestar dish that I have and find a way to mount the 3 lnbs on it so that I can use that for 110, 119 and 129. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Spend 99.00 and get a dish1000.2 from either the dishstore.net or dishdepot.com. It is much easier than trying to retrofit a Primestar dish. I looked at my old primestar dish and there is no way to adjust the skew at all , to what it needs to be to get all 3 sats. It only adjusts by elevation.

Well I don't need a1000.2 as I have a 1000 for my Dish setup, but was looking for something to tinker with. I could not figure out a way to make it work either. Oh well, will have to figure a different use for the spare Primestar :)

Has anyone tried to convert a Primestar dish into a Dish 1000? What I want to do is use a spare Primestar dish that I have and find a way to mount the 3 lnbs on it so that I can use that for 110, 119 and 129. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

You could mount a single LNBF and point it at the 129 satellite for probably pretty good gain. Might help give a little more time before rain fade is a factor.

I have never used a dish 1000. The 129 satellite is way too weak for me when setting up 2 dishes would all but eliminate reception loss. Just use the 61.5 satellite for your High Def

You could mount a single LNBF and point it at the 129 satellite for probably pretty good gain. Might help give a little more time before rain fade is a factor.

That is true it would make one hell of a gain for the 129 sat if you could find a way to hook up an lnb to the mast. :up

The LNB should be easy to mount - just take off the outer shell, and I bet it would fit into the existing Primestar mount - Then, I could just run a cable over to the 110/119 lnb from the "new" 129 Primestar. Hmmm..... Might have to give it a shot!

The LNB should be easy to mount - just take off the outer shell, and I bet it would fit into the existing Primestar mount - Then, I could just run a cable over to the 110/119 lnb from the "new" 129 Primestar. Hmmm..... Might have to give it a shot!

The surface area of that dish is good for 105 and 121 also.

Spend 99.00 and get a dish1000.2 from either the dishstore.net or dishdepot.com. It is much easier than trying to retrofit a Primestar dish. I looked at my old primestar dish and there is no way to adjust the skew at all , to what it needs to be to get all 3 sats. It only adjusts by elevation.

Ok, I know this is an older posting, but, YES, you absolutely can easily modify a older Primestar dish to skew. All you have to do, is buy a BOAT SEAT SWIVEL MOUNTING BASE, and mount it between the dish, and the rear plate. The seat needs the mounting holes drilled out slightly, but doesn't take much work at all to mate it up to the dish bolts. You then need to drill and tap a hole between the 2 plates that make up the swivel, and insert a screw to tighten down and keep the dish where you want the skew to stay.

Cabela's -- Swivel Seat Mounting Base

Last edited:
OKay I stand corrected. If you want to do all that to use a Primestar dish then go right ahead. I would rather save my time and just install a ready made dish 1000.2 .

OKay I stand corrected. If you want to do all that to use a Primestar dish then go right ahead. I would rather save my time and just install a ready made dish 1000.2 .

Yes you can, but where's the fun in doing that? It's a great learning experience to modify Primestar dishes, and I've always been given them just for the asking. I carry a couple tools with me, and if I see one in somebodies yard, I just drive up, and ask them if I can have it. I've only had 1 person ever refuse me. They were made by ChannelMaster, and are a fantastic dish to play with! The old FSS lnb is even still usable for FTA, with the addition of a D* switch to combine the 2 separate outputs coming from it. Makes a great hobby, like the old days of playing with large antenna's and high-gain low noise amps to get analog tv channels from long distances. Much easier than climbing or dropping a 70 foot tower also.

Why not just spend a hun and get the SG2100 Dish Motor and the QPH-031 LNB the will get everything you could ever want on TV. Don't need to skew with one LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts