Convert Direct to Dish at Summer Cabin

KPAC

Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
Brooks, GA
I am a Dish customer with a Hopper and 3 Joeys. We have acquired a summer cabin on an island near International Falls, MN, The cabin presently has a Direct TV setup. If I take my Hopper to the cabin for the summer, what do I need to do to change the Direct TV to a Dish setup. I would like to do it myself, if possible.

I am a Dish customer with a Hopper and 3 Joeys. We have acquired a summer cabin on an island near International Falls, MN, The cabin presently has a Direct TV setup. If I take my Hopper to the cabin for the summer, what do I need to do to change the Direct TV to a Dish setup. I would like to do it myself, if possible.

No, you cannot feasibly reuse a DirecTV dish for Dish Network, as far as I know. No reason to set it up yourself as Dish will do it for you for free.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You need to change out the DirecTV dish for a Dish 1000.2 with a Western Arc (110,119,129) hybrid LNB. You will also need a hybrid hub if you intend to use Joeys in the mix. The local channels for International Falls come from Duluth and the HD channels are on 129. Now, you will not receive your Georgias locals in Minnesota so you will want to contact Dish after you are set up in your cabin and tell them that you have "moved" your service to International Falls and you want to keep your billing address in Georgia. After you return to your Georgia home you will need to contact Dish and reverse that to service and billing at your permanent address. You will not be able to have local channels at both addresses at the same time.

Great, that is just the info I needed. Are there any wiring diagrams available for the LNB to the hub to the hopper?

What type of Dish at the cabin?

Is it a slimline HD Dish or an 18 inch dish.

If it’s an 18 inch dish, simply swap the reflector leaving the existing mast.

If it’s a slimline HD dish the mast is 2 inches. You’ll either need a pipe adaptor to bring it to 1 5/8 or install a new mast.

Depending on the setup you may be able to use the existing wiring

Again, why would anybody want to do this themselves? I have 4 FTA dishes I've installed myself, but the liability for those is on me. If Dish does your install, the liability is on them if something goes wrong. My Dish Network dish is the ONLY dish I haven't installed myself. Not because I can't, but why waste my time and money for something they do at no charge? Including fixing it if it breaks?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have no problem with Dish setting it up but it may be a hassle getting them across the lake to the island. I will contact them but I doubt it will be no charge.

It depends on the installer.

We did plenty on an island taking a ferry.

It’s a 50/50 shot. Some installers will ask the customer to pay the fare, others will just flat out say no because they want to blow off the job.

The only thing you need to be concerned with is how often the ferries cross and when the ferry shuts down so your not stranded on the island.

It depends on the installer.

We did plenty on an island taking a ferry.

It’s a 50/50 shot. Some installers will ask the customer to pay the fare, others will just flat out say no because they want to blow off the job.

The only thing you need to be concerned with is how often the ferries cross and when the ferry shuts down so your not stranded on the island.
Claude:. I lived in that part on MN for 25 years. When he says get across the lake, he means either a canoe, houseboat or more likely a 23 ft outboard.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: NYDutch and HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)