convert superdish to true fta use

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bobnva

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
sw va.
i have not seen this posted before so i will describe a simple way to convert a superdish for true fta use. 1. take apart the original lnb by removing the screws holding it together..discard the lnb. 2.drill holes to match the new linear lnbs mounting holes..you must use the "square" type of lnb as the other style will not fit in the arm. i used a roc model 785a linear lnb from e-bay but other linear models you may have should work too. 3. set the tilt and elevation adjustments for your area. 4.aim and peak signal. thats it. there are other ways to use a superdish for true fta but this one works for me. just be SURE to use a linear lnb like the one in picture #3 to assure proper fit and performance. i get g-10r at 60-70% quality in sw.va. with this set-up. the square style lnb makes it easy to add another linear lnb on the side for ia7- white springs tv- if you wish. see attached files for pictures.

Attachments

• super dish modification to fta-1.jpg
    super dish modification to fta-1.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 1,761
  • super dish modification to fta-2.jpg
    super dish modification to fta-2.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 1,280
  • super dish modification to fta-3.jpg
    super dish modification to fta-3.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 1,384
tron...would love to help you out but anole already has asked for them. they are in the mail to him as of earlier today. regards- bobnva

neener, neener, neener

Anole said:
And while we are at it, send Tron a few of the FSS LNBs, too.
Or I will if I wind up with too many.
He seems to like 'em. - :up
Tron said:
Thanks for the thought, Anole :) Actually, I recently scored a box of four Superdish 121 LNB assemblies (feedhorns, LNBs, and shrouds), all brand new in their original boxes, for very little money. Since Dish should be phasing these out soon, they'll be "useless" items, and we should be able to get plenty for experimentation ;)
Trying to corner the market? - :eek:
regards - :D

Nah, not trying to corner the market, just was cringing at the word "discard" ;) The trash is no place for such a useful item...

I think we'll be seeing plenty of the Dish FSS stacked LNBs, and the great thing about them is that they are very useful on any feedhorn with a C-120 flange. This means CMs, Primestars, DirecWay dishes, etc. There's also the T-90 application, as JerryT has done.

Here's how I mounted my lnb to the end. I didn't put it in the end, I tried to line it up like the original lnb pointed at the dish. It was just my best guess looking at it.

Attachments

• HPIM0485.JPG
    HPIM0485.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,024
  • HPIM0486.JPG
    HPIM0486.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 812
  • HPIM0490.JPG
    HPIM0490.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 770
I have converter several SD's to True FTA by removing the lnb's fron the bracket and cutting and drilling a 1/4 thick piece of plastic that mounts to the SD bracket and holds a 40mm LNB bracket. I discovered today that the FSS lnb also bolts right up to Primestar feed horn, can't wait to try it out.

Attachments

• Dish array_1.jpg
    Dish array_1.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 713
Last edited:
the superdish 121 or 105 lnb works fine for true fta with out any modification, notice all the guys asking for the "discarded" lnb hehe

altering a superdish by replacing the original lnb assembly with a single linear lnb is a matter of aesthetics and is a personal choice. it no longer has the bulky eyesore look of the superdish .it makes for an attractive clean installation that also performs very well. just dont discard the original lnb assembly or you face a very real risk of being flamed . hehe

What settings do you have to have for the original lnb to work? How does the stacked LNB differ from a regular standard lnbf?

I never thought about aesthetics, but you are right - the stock Dish dish 'n LNB is pretty ugly.

But in better defense of those not using the Dish LNBs, many folks:
- don't understand 'em,
- don't trust 'em to be as sensitive as well known models,
- don't know how to use bandstacked LNBs,
- can't easily mix bandstacked with their other LNBs...

And after looking at some of 'em, I'm just glad the weather is so nice out here.
They sort of look like the shroud over 'em might be a good idea. ;)

mroodey - a lot of receivers already know how to deal with 'em.
They have a setting called, "OCS", which stands for one cable solution.
Which just means you can get both polarities at the same time on a single cable.

Not trying to hijack or anything but isn't one of the LNB's on a Dish 500 dish Ku? Or are they both circular or are they proprietary to Dish network?

The venerable "Dish 500" can be equipped with about four LNB options.
But in all cases, they are:
- two circular LNBs,
- with an LO of 11.250ghz for the high end of the Ku DBS band,
- and employ one of several switching techniques, including
.. none
.. proprietary , but found on some hack-modified FTA receivers
.. diseqc, (DishPro) just like we know and love it, but bandstacked.
.. superset of diseqc, (DishProPlus) involving proprietary capability, but still working in fall-back as diseqc...

On the other hand, SuperDishes are much more modern, and even though they do come in several flavors, all have DishPro (bandstacked) technology, and a combination of DBS (11.25 LO) circular LNBs, along with an FSS (10.75 LO) linear or circular LNB.
(well, tecnhically the FSS is linear, but on some models, it's convertable to circular) - :)

Thanks for the explanation Anole.. Coolness. My sister said to get her dish off her house so I will get it down this week and see what it has on it. I am primarily interested in using it for Nasa anyways. So either way it should work for my purposes.

haven't gone OT

Bad - yea, don't waste anything with potential for NASA.
It's so easy, any old 18" with a circular will get it fine. (on 119° bird)

Last year, we even had an extensive thread on the apparently worthless DirecTV Phase III dish.
That's pretty much of a stinker, but creative minds came up with all sorts of uses. :eek:

No wonder I love this forum so much. - :cool:

And of course, that's the point of this thread -
recycling the SuperDish, either with existing or other LNBs.
Not the best choice; not a dish I'd recommend to a newbie; but the old timers have found many uses for it , and its parts.
See above, CadSulfide sure pressed a bunch of 'em into service. - :up

Ex-Superdish121 LNB

After my DN Superdish121 was updated with the 118.7 Repoint Kit, I installed the removed 121W LNB on a DTV Slimline which happened to have the same mounting hole spacing. I had to install the LNB bracket on the bottom of the LNB arm with a double stack of washers to approximate the location of the original Slimline LNB feedhorn which resulted in a minus 1-degree elevation deviation. I was quickly able to confirm G3 95W, G25 97W, and G27 129W. Although the 121 LNB is a band-stacked DP LNB that normally requires the "OCS-DP" setting on an FTA receiver, less duplicate scans were obtained using the "Single" LNB setting.

Photo attached.

Attachments

• Copy of SD530497.JPG
    Copy of SD530497.JPG
    823.4 KB · Views: 1,251
Addendum

Sorry, I forgot to add that the DTV Slimline has the best dish aiming mechanisms as demanded by the narrow Ka(18GHz) signal beams. I love the fine adjustments the dish offers. I welcome all Slimline gifts! Thank you.

To avoid duplicate scans using a stacked LNB, you must scan only vertical. The LNB stacks the horizontal TPs in a frequency range above the vertical ones.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)