Convert video to Ipod

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
I am looking for a free tool to convert home video and/or DVD-video to my Ipod 5th gen. I currently have these tools for other dvd uses, DVD Fab HD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, and DVD Decrypter. I am hoping I could add a program to my collection that will convert the dvd iso file to view on my Ipod.

Thanks for your advice!

Super from eRight software will do it.

It is a pain in the butt to find the download link, but here is their site.

eRightSoft

It will convert to just about any format.

Just select ipod or ipod 5.5g as the output type. Then drag and drop the video and click encode.

On eRight's page, it is under Freeware.

Just spend the $30 bucks for cucusoft's ipod converter; it works perfectly everytime. And has setting for the size screen you want to convert for, including the touch. I have converted 4 seasons of Stargate SG1.

You get what you pay for.

Super from eRight software will do it.

It is a pain in the butt to find the download link, but here is their site.

eRightSoft

It will convert to just about any format.

Just select ipod or ipod 5.5g as the output type. Then drag and drop the video and click encode.

On eRight's page, it is under Freeware.

Agreed, I found it to be pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.:)

Use VLC. Very easy. Free. Very versatile. What gets better than that?

Instructions:

1. Download VLC (VideoLAN - Free Software and Open Source video streaming solution for every OS!)

2. Put in the DVD.

3. Open VLC.

4. Go to File?Open Disc.

5. Under "Disc Type," choose "DVD (menus)".

6. Next to "title", type in which title on the disc the movie is. Windows Media Player or a standalone DVD player will tell you this when you play the disc. Make sure "0" is set next to chapter, and do not change the subtitles or audio track unless you want the rip to be in a different language or with subtitles.

7. Under "advanced options", check "Stream/Save".

8. Next to "Stream/Save", click "Settings".

9. Under "Outputs", check "File".

10. Click "Browse", and navigate to the directory you want the video to be saved to.

11. Type in the filename, followed by".mp4" (no quotes).

12. Click "Save".

13. Under "Encapsulation Method", choose "MP4".

14. Under "Transcoding Options", check "Video Codec", and choose "mp4v" (although I *think* iPod's might take h264 too, but I'm not sure). Choose a bitrate also...768 kbps should be fine for the biggest iPod screens. You could go less with a smaller screen.

15. Also check "Audio Codec" and choose "mp4a". Make the bitrate 128 or 192 kbps.

16. Click "OK."

17. Click "OK" again.

18. Wait a little while. Eventually the slider bar will start moving. Don't use the computer until it finishes, as it will be very slow. Also, don't get tempted to move the slider bar, it'll screw it up.

19. When it's finished, you're ready to put the new MP4 file onto the iPod. :D

It's not that hard though. I separated the steps quite a bit...it could probably be consolidated into 8 or 9.

Come to think of it, VLC has a wizard that can walk you right through those steps, I just never use it.

I have a Mac and several pc's. I burn the movie to a DVD +r using anydvd/clonedvd then use Popcorn2 to put it into itunes in the ipod format. Takes a bit but plays beautifully. but popcorn is a Mac only program as far as i know.

It's not that hard though. I separated the steps quite a bit...it could probably be consolidated into 8 or 9.

Come to think of it, VLC has a wizard that can walk you right through those steps, I just never use it.

I was just razzing you. :D ;)

What I like about Cucusoft is that you load it, hit OPEN DVD, it starts playing, you click convert and it starts (using whatever setting you used the last time), so it is really easy. (And even the first time it is easy -- you just decide what format you want, i.e., ipod touch, nano, video, and whether you want to change the aspect ratio. And the program has a box that surrounds the video that shows you what it is actually recording.

Ok, I understand all of this except step 6 and the title name. Is the file name of the actual movie or what? I am confused.

Use VLC. Very easy. Free. Very versatile. What gets better than that?

Instructions:

1. Download VLC (VideoLAN - Free Software and Open Source video streaming solution for every OS!)

2. Put in the DVD.

3. Open VLC.

4. Go to File?Open Disc.

5. Under "Disc Type," choose "DVD (menus)".

6. Next to "title", type in which title on the disc the movie is. Windows Media Player or a standalone DVD player will tell you this when you play the disc. Make sure "0" is set next to chapter, and do not change the subtitles or audio track unless you want the rip to be in a different language or with subtitles.

7. Under "advanced options", check "Stream/Save".

8. Next to "Stream/Save", click "Settings".

9. Under "Outputs", check "File".

10. Click "Browse", and navigate to the directory you want the video to be saved to.

11. Type in the filename, followed by".mp4" (no quotes).

12. Click "Save".

13. Under "Encapsulation Method", choose "MP4".

14. Under "Transcoding Options", check "Video Codec", and choose "mp4v" (although I *think* iPod's might take h264 too, but I'm not sure). Choose a bitrate also...768 kbps should be fine for the biggest iPod screens. You could go less with a smaller screen.

15. Also check "Audio Codec" and choose "mp4a". Make the bitrate 128 or 192 kbps.

16. Click "OK."

17. Click "OK" again.

18. Wait a little while. Eventually the slider bar will start moving. Don't use the computer until it finishes, as it will be very slow. Also, don't get tempted to move the slider bar, it'll screw it up.

19. When it's finished, you're ready to put the new MP4 file onto the iPod. :D

The title is a number. Every DVD has titles and chapters. If you play the DVD in Windows Media Player, the bar on the right shows the titles you're on.

Or if you play it in a regular DVD player, the front display will usually show the title. Or tap "info" or "display" while playing the movie.

I was just razzing you. :D ;)

What I like about Cucusoft is that you load it, hit OPEN DVD, it starts playing, you click convert and it starts (using whatever setting you used the last time), so it is really easy. (And even the first time it is easy -- you just decide what format you want, i.e., ipod touch, nano, video, and whether you want to change the aspect ratio. And the program has a box that surrounds the video that shows you what it is actually recording.

In VLC, you can change resolution, aspect ratio, and all that, but you need to do it through command lines. This is not extremely user friendly, but VLC is probably the most powerful video program out there, free or pay, once you get the hang of them.

You can also see what is recording if you check "Play locally" in step 9.

Ok, I have done exactly what this says, and the file it makes plays in Quicktime, but without any sound. Also, when I transfer the file into Itunes, when i attempt to play it in Itunes, I just get a green screen with just microsecond flashes of the actual video before returning to green screen. No sound in Itunes either.

Seems like no matter what conversion process I use, I get this green screen in Itunes. I thought before that i wasn't doing something right in the conversion process somewhere along the way, but now after getting the same result when doing a conversion several different ways, I am confident that I I possibly don't have a setting correct in Itunes maybe? This can't be that hard!

Ok, I have done exactly what this says, and the file it makes plays in Quicktime, but without any sound. Also, when I transfer the file into Itunes, when i attempt to play it in Itunes, I just get a green screen with just microsecond flashes of the actual video before returning to green screen. No sound in Itunes either.

Seems like no matter what conversion process I use, I get this green screen in Itunes. I thought before that i wasn't doing something right in the conversion process somewhere along the way, but now after getting the same result when doing a conversion several different ways, I am confident that I I possibly don't have a setting correct in Itunes maybe? This can't be that hard!

Get a trial of cucusoft... it will work like a charm. :)

Seriously, it sounds like your problem is a codec issue. Yet, never had any issues with itunes. The green screen issue really smacks of a codec issue. Could you try the file you converted on another machine? Will it work on an ipod?

Ok, just converted about 3 minutes of superman 3. The converted file played great in Quicktime. However, when I transferred it into Itunes I had the green screen AGAIN. Did have sound though. I attempted to transfer it to my ipod anyway and it stated I couldn't because of the video format not being supported by my ipod.

I would buy that program except for the simple fact that this should work!!! If it works in quicktime and its a .mp4 file....it should play in itunes and my ipod, correct!?

Ok, just converted about 3 minutes of superman 3. The converted file played great in Quicktime. However, when I transferred it into Itunes I had the green screen AGAIN. Did have sound though. I attempted to transfer it to my ipod anyway and it stated I couldn't because of the video format not being supported by my ipod.

I would buy that program except for the simple fact that this should work!!! If it works in quicktime and its a .mp4 file....it should play in itunes and my ipod, correct!?

Yes, it should work. But obviously something isn't quite right; and I have no idea what it is.

Do you have the most recent version of itunes? Maybe you should reinstall it, and see if it works.

I have also attempted to use the h264 codec also, same problem. All of these versions worked in quicktime, and although I know quicktime will play more formats than Itunes, I would think at least one video I have every made or tryed would work in Itunes. I think a uninstall/reinstall is in order....

Ok i have had enough, can someone send (email) me a video that they know works on their Itunes. I have yet to find a single video that works, but I dont' know if its my Itunes or the videos. Let me know if you can and I will pm you my email address. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)