Converter Box

kickboxer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Hello,
I have an anolog cable (RCN) and it's giving me channels 2-60. I don't have any digital box just a cable coming from outside to my HD TV. If I get the analog to digital converter box, will I get a few more channels if i scan and also would the picture quality improve?
Thanks

You shouldn't be asking questions about CATV in the OTA forum.

A digital set-top box will give you more channels, but it is unlikely that the picture quality will be any better. I have yet to see a digital channel that is better than its analog counterpart.

If the box you ar ereferring to is the digital analog box that you can purchase witha govt coupon it will not tune cable at all. It only tunes OTA>

Unless you buy an HD-ATSC tuner you will get 480i signal (standard definition) out of the digital/analog converters, and the HD-ATSC tuners do not qualify for the $40 coupon so it should be $100-$150, maybe cheaper.

With the HD-ATSC tuner you will get a better picture than you are getting through your cable system.

Does your HDTV have a QAM tuner that receives unscrambled digital cable (from your channel list I assume not)?

If you don't have a QAM tuner, your picture will be tremendously better OTA for those programs that are actually broadcast in HD (about 50% on NBC, slightly lower for other national nets).

This also assumes your local stations are broadcasting digital HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)