converter for OTA

catkoko

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
Is dish going to redeem the OTA coupons? I just received mine. also how do I hook rabbit ears into the dish box? How would I switch from dish to OTA channels? I can't get local from dish :(

The coupon eligible Echostar TR-40 is not designed for use with DISH Network receivers. It can be made to work indirectly with older RF-connected SD receivers, but it won't give you seamless LIL service. For that, you would need an HD receiver with a built-in digital OTA tuner.

Coupon program terms and conditions prohibit the devices from being a slave to a satellite or cable receiver.

ok, then how can I watch local stations AND dish on the same tv? will I need a 2nd tv so I can use a converter box? I only get 2 station with rabbit ears as it is :(

The Dish TR-40 is a lot better than the other boxes. VCR timer, very long electronic program guide, etc. My coupons will expire May 23. Damn, I want the Echostar TR-40 but they have no system in place to pre-order! Get on the ball! I don't want the other ones! Dish hardware is first rate (happy customer since 1997)...

ok, then how can I watch local stations AND dish on the same tv? will I need a 2nd tv so I can use a converter box? I only get 2 station with rabbit ears as it is :(
Seems like you could combine the Sat output with the output from the converter box with a splitter, since the output of the converter box would be analog as well.

Geoff

Is dish going to redeem the OTA coupons?
Of course! They built the TR-40 specifically to get new customers via the coupons, and possibly upsell them on Dish Network programming, or a TR-50, or both.

how do I hook rabbit ears into the dish box?
From the looks of the back of the thing, you'll need a cable-style adapter. Rabbit ears typically have 300 Ohm twinlead coming out, and you'll need an adapter for 75 Ohm coax. These are extremely cheap, and often come with TVs for no extra cost. You probably have 5-10 lying about from a lifetime of TV purchases. ;)

How would I switch from dish to OTA channels?
Two ways are possible. If your TV has AV inputs, then hook your satellite receiver to one AV input, and the TR-40 to another and use the built-in switch. If you don't mind the loss of quality using the RF inputs/outputs, then hook the antenna to your TR-40, and use it's RF output going to your satellite receiver's RF input. (Yes, most Dish receivers, particularly older ones, have this for passthrough.) So, if the satellite receiver is on, your TV sees it. If the satellite receiver is off, then your TV sees the TR-40. VCRs used to be hooked up this way before DVRs made them obsolete.

Dish's converter will not be available until June, your coupon may run out before then. The Dish box will not be any different than what Walmart currently has. You may want to check their box out.

The 90 days starts when they mail the coupon and it looks like the coupons ordered today probably won't be mailed until late May - early June.

How would I switch from dish to OTA channels? I can't get local from dish :(

Ok assuming you have limited inputs on your TV there is a switch box for RCA inputs you could buy for like $15 - $20. I saw one at Big Lots for like $9.

So you just have one RCA connection going to the TV and in my case 4 devices that can be switched. Not a seamless solution but it sure beats swapping cables. :)

Thank you Geronimo. If one Googles "define: upsell", you discover that 2 of the 3 definitions imply an additional sale, not an "insead-of" sale. My favorite from the Glossary of Business Terms, is "upsell: to sell customers a higher-priced version of a product they have bought previously"

Of course if the OP is confused on this topic, garys is most certainly right. The TR-50, being an OTA version of the hghly-acclaimed 622, is way too fancy to qualify for the government subsidy. You can't even use the coupon to reduce the price of ineligible products. Wish we could!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)