Please reply by conversation.

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
NOTE: Will not correctly convert a 4.2.2 recording

The program is available from offeryn: tools for digital video

THe program is PVAStrumento, v2.1.0.22 (as of today.)
On the page is "PVAStrumento is freeware. It may be freely distributed and used."

It is not an installed program, just download, unzip the folder to a convenient location.

Start PVAStrumento.exe and navigate to your dvr files
Click on "Make PS" button
Select a different profile if you want.
Browse to where you want the mpg file
click "Start"
That's it!

FaT,

Thank you for posting this utility. I've been wanting to play with the files on my OpenBox hard drive for a while now. But on my first try not much success. I have a file created by OpenBox called 000.dvr Ran it thru your PVAStrumento.exe program outputed it as 000.mpg. Only plays for a few seconds then pauses. ?

Jim

Attached here is a log file.

Attachments

• 000.mpg.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
I haven't run into that. How long was your recording. Could it be the Player? As the log states "This is not "DVD-compliant" ++ It _may_ cause problems in DVD-authoring or ++ with some DVD players" Might also cause some players to hiccup. I use nothing but VLC and like I said,"no problems" I've had VLC even playing other broken files, that other players will lock up on.
( info file, I think that's for the SSO to show the preview when in the Recording Manager. The 000.dvr file is your recording.) [ SSO = SatHawk/Solomend/Openbox ]

Ok, I have run into a dvr file that failed to convert. O bytes written, original file 35.8Mb. It's an HD stream. (FTV)
I know I've recorded that channel before and converted successfully. Don't know what's up. Anyone have an idea?
Are there any other free utilities that play with these dvr files successfully? Oh, well, some more ?'s to be answered.

I haven't run into that. How long was your recording. Could it be the Player?

Yup, that was it. The converted file from PVAStrumento is good. Had to try a few different players. COOL!

The file was 14 minutes long recorded from an SD channel.

Jim

Glad you have it working.
The same file I couldn't convert to mpeg with PVAStrumento converted to a ts with Ariva_TS_Tool. BUT VLC wouldn't play it. So that particular file must be bad.
NEXT UP - record something worth saving and try make a DVD.

more thoughts on the subject

There's another free utility I use called SUPER, to convert file formats.
Not to mention ConvertXtoDVD, which makes (authors) DVDs from most anything, but costs money.
You may want to hand your source file to the free MediaInfo, to determine exactly what format it is in.

Biggest problem with SUPER, is too many output formats to choose from.
And it doesn't really author DVDs, either.

The fact that VLC plays pretty much anything will mask your bad choice of output format. - :rolleyes:
I use SUPER to make XviD format files, which -my- Philips DVP 5990 player will handle and upconvert to HD.

Ok I downloaded PVAStrumento and I have AVC-Any Video Converter. I've got a hour of Hogan's Heroes from ME TV that is on my 1TB Iomega drive. Recorded and played fine on the SSO. I hooked the Iomega to my computer and used the PVAStrumento program and then burned the dvd with A.V.C
I think i had the format on everything set on Mpeg2 if i remember right. The picture appears to have a wavy kind of a halo around anyone that moves in the video. If they are standing still its fine...once they move around it looks weird. The picture kind of looks like what used to happen to a picture in the old days if you waved a magnet in front of the CRT...Any ideas? I just want to be able to burn to a dvd and be able to watch it...Thanks Blind

Blind, did the converted file, mpg, show this defect when played on your computer?
I do notice that PVAS- log file quite often says:
++ INFO:
++ 57 GOP(s) with more than 15 frames were found
++ This is not "DVD-compliant"
++ It _may_ cause problems in DVD-authoring or
++ with some DVD players
I wonder if this is the case, maybe running the mpg through another conversion,( to avi?) would cure???
I've recorded some that will not convert to mpg, and tried multiple programs. All error out. The question I have is< these files that won't convert, were recorded on the same channel where other recordings converted just fine. >

Fat Air,
I tried it again last night using Kuwait Tv 2. Yes it gives the error you showed. I used PVAStrumental...found my file then went to Any Video Converter, and then to ConvertXdvd, to burn the dvd. It still looked the same on the computer and my new Dvd player-Magnavox Blu Ray etc..
I'd be willing to buy a program that would go from .dvr to a dvd I could watch....a reasonably priced program that is...Anyone else having better luck? Also I tried to record Huskervision on the SSO and it won't record it at all. Doesn't even show the file...not a big deal I thought I'd add that issue to the mix as well....Blind

Last edited:
I like to use Ariva_TS_Tool to convert the .dvr file to a .ts file. TSSniper will edit files with AVC video. Avidemux will edit and convert MPEG-2 files to other formats.

Also, for those good at crafting command lines, you can download the latest Windows autobuild of ffmpeg and WinFF. WinFF is a front end that passes command lines to FFMPEG. You can edit and add presets with the proper command line switches to do what you want.

If anyone gets around to making a Dvd and it works let me know with what program. I tried again tonight,all the programs I mentioned above..no luck
It looks great as an mpeg2...it will play on WMPlayer looks good....if you burn it to disc, it looks terrible....something gets messed up in the burning process.
Any other format coming out of the SSO receiver would be great but the .dvr is not friendly at all when you want to convert it and burn it so someone else can watch it.
Computers and video aren't my specialty lol...I'm kinda getting older and technically challanged.....Blind

Run the file through MediaInfo (I posted link above) , set it to text mode, and post that info here.
Knowing what you are dealing with will help figure out why you are seeing bad-looking video.

non-free solutions:

ConvertXtoDVD should make the entire file into a DVD (or several files, and regardless of their resolution).

VideoReDo will probably let you edit your file, trim the ends, take out commercials, and their Quickstream Fix feature will clean up most dirty video.
It can author DVDs, too, plus they have a good support forum.
They have a free (you need to register it) test mode with full capability, so you can try before you buy.
If you are technophobic (and don't want to learn the editor), ya might be better off with ConvertXtoDVD or some other solution.

I converted one file to TS, then looked at it with TSReader lite. 6 PIDS and associated streams, 5 A/V and one radio. TSR Lite will only record (Convert to mpg) 1 minute. The recording I made was around 10 minutes, and the converted minute, of one stream, wasn't perfect. Don't know if this is because of it being the Lite version or not(?) Haven't had the time I'd like to spend on this.(!)

dvd flick might do what u wish (if it can read the original) imgburn will do the burning both r freeware... a good help site for video conversion is videohelp (dot) com

Think I got it figured out sort of....I used PVAstrumental then went and found the .mpg file in the computer and used convertXto dvd.
It appears two things things happen here. If there's more than one video file they all showed as 000.dvr, so I had changed the 000 to some other name for each show. Also SSO receiver records HD fine, computer of course doesn't burn a dvd of it though. I'm happy with it so far. I did three shows from ME TV with no issues....Blind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)