Converting from Dish to Skyangel?

slappy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Hi all,
My parents are interested in switching from Dish Network channels purely over to SkyAngel. They asked me to look into it, so I thought I'd drop a couple questions on here.

They have a Superdish that is currently hitting 119, 110, and 105 (for Columbus, OH locals). However, they aren't concerned with retaining ANY Dish stations.
I'm assuming it would be possible to just re-aim the Superdish for the 61.5 position then?

SkyAngel.com gives me the following settings for a Dish 500 system... would these figures be different on a Superdish system?
Zip Azimuth Elevation City State
45612 152 39 BAINBRIDGE OH

Also, if my parents want to keep their 510 DVR, I'm assuming that they'd get a $5 montly bill from Dish in addition to their seperate SkyAngel bill?

Thanks so much for any input!
-Ryan

Since you are only aiming at one slot (61.5) on the back of the dish, make sure the skew is 90 (so all 3 LNB's are in a straight line and not angled)

I would use the 110 LNB (the one in the middle) to aim for 61.5

Thanks for the quick response. I've read through some other threads here, regarding keeping a Dish DVR on a SkyAngel account, and I'm still a little unsure about something...

With a leased 510 from Dish, would the mothly Dish bill just be the lease fee... or the lease fee + the DVR fee?

Thanks again!

That I honestly don't know....but if you are leasing your equipment from Dish, when you cancel they may not let you keep it.

Sky Angel is a totally independent company from Dish (other than the fact that SA uses Dish receivers)

One more question, and I promise I'll leave you alone! :)

IF... I'm not able to keep the leased box... I do have an old 301 unit stashed away in storage. However, I never received an updated card for that box like I did the 510 and old 501 I had. My question is, in that case, would one of the new cards from the DVR boxes work in that? Or is a particular card linked with a particular box?

Thanks so much for the help.

no..each card works with that same box...they really arent interchangable.

the old box would work. What would happen is when you sign up, Sky Angel will send you a new card. Since it can take up to 5 business days for SA to be activated, you may get the card in the same amount of time so there would be no down time :)

Since they are on a lease, make sure that they are still not under a contract. The contract could have a heavy $$ termination fee. Also, the contract requires a minimum level of Dish programming.

Thankfully, they've been out from under their contract for awhile now. Thanks for the thought though.

if you are going to use a DVR you still want something pointed at 110 to get the extended guide download.

In that case, you could pull the 119LNBF from the superdish and mount that on a dish 500/300, then point one of them at 61.5 and the other at 110, whichever gets you the best reception at 61.5. Make sure everything's still attached to the DP34 and you're good to go.

You know I would get a old single look dish 300, point it at 61.5, add skyangel to dish sub and try sky angel for a few weeks to confirm its what you want. before cancelling dish lease and messing around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)