Convince me to stay with Dish / Tell me where I am wrong

I'm one of the few apparently that do not get swayed by cost. Being able to record 4 shows at once with the 722K will keep me at Dish, as well as more non-sports HD.

For the $6 extra to have a 2nd receiver is worth it. That way you get 4 HD satellite recordings, and not limited to the OTA for 2 of them. Though it comes down to personal preference. They are not that dis-similar overall. So if the cost isn't swaying someone, the functionality is what would likely determine the outcome.

For the $6 extra to have a 2nd receiver is worth it. That way you get 4 HD satellite recordings, and not limited to the OTA for 2 of them. Though it comes down to personal preference. They are not that dis-similar overall. So if the cost isn't swaying someone, the functionality is what would likely determine the outcome.

I've not run into a situation that really needed a 3rd or 4th SAT channel recorded. Most of the 'cable' channels replay their original stuff almost as much as they replay the replays of old shows.

And 2 receivers in one spot is just a real PITA to have to mess with, not to mention taking up one HDMI slot that could be used with something else. It would be better than just having one HR, but not nearly enough to make it better than just one 722k.

And in this instance, should I switch, my lease cost would be 2x$6=$12/month vice the $10/month I pay now with no real benefit attached.

Sometimes its like the "Bat Signal" when you see a thread like this. If you would like, I can save you the call and see what there is to be seen and do what there is to be done. Honestly, DISH Network does care about losing customers regardless of the reason. If you wouldn't mind PMing me a phone number I can get you information on getting the bill lower. Sounds to me like there is something I can do, but again I would need to look.

I've not run into a situation that really needed a 3rd or 4th SAT channel recorded. Most of the 'cable' channels replay their original stuff almost as much as they replay the replays of old shows.
and most people probably havent run into an issue all the time where you would always need a 3rd or 4th tuner for OTA. I guess some people must watch a sh**load of OTA. I can think of one day that I would think "oh damn that would be so needed" and with 2 1/2 men on hiatus right now the point is moot. I can still get my 2 sat shows and if they do come back, one can be pushed back to the midnight replay. See it works both ways :)
Plus I've read enough threads where the OTA tuner has issues so I'd rather record them via satellite.

And 2 receivers in one spot is just a real PITA to have to mess with, not to mention taking up one HDMI slot that could be used with something else. It would be better than just having one HR, but not nearly enough to make it better than just one 722k.
actually its pretty easy to work with. The 2nd can be a backup :)
And in this instance, should I switch, my lease cost would be 2x$6=$12/month vice the $10/month I pay now with no real benefit attached.
why would it be $12? The 1st unit is included in price

Sometimes its like the "Bat Signal" when you see a thread like this. If you would like, I can save you the call and see what there is to be seen and do what there is to be done. Honestly, DISH Network does care about losing customers regardless of the reason. If you wouldn't mind PMing me a phone number I can get you information on getting the bill lower. Sounds to me like there is something I can do, but again I would need to look.

Good response from the dish support team. As a D* sub, I wish directv would follow the lead here and join with the sat boards.

and most people probably havent run into an issue all the time where you would always need a 3rd or 4th tuner for OTA. I guess some people must watch a sh**load of OTA. I can think of one day that I would think "oh damn that would be so needed" and with 2 1/2 men on hiatus right now the point is moot. I can still get my 2 sat shows and if they do come back, one can be pushed back to the midnight replay. See it works both ways :)
Plus I've read enough threads where the OTA tuner has issues so I'd rather record them via satellite.

actually its pretty easy to work with. The 2nd can be a backup :)

why would it be $12? The 1st unit is included in price

Because I would need a total of 3. 2 for my use, 1 for my son's use.

I've never had a problem with my OTA unless I decide to chance one of the 2 channels that are a bit flakey. Fortunately, that's caused by a pesky tree and is only a problem in the summer when it isn't such a big deal for OTA.

On many weeknights, I am recording on 3 local channels. I like cop shows!

Bottom line is an apples-to-apples programming package comparison shows the costs are pretty much identical (OP added HD platinum to Dish costs, but not D*???). Per room fees are nearly identical (OP could use 211's with external drives to bring costs down). National HD content is vastly superior with Dish (30+ channels). New customer discounts amount to $30/month for 12 months ($360) plus $100 for referral if you're lucky (this is much harder to get right with D* than with Dish - out of about half a dozen referrals I've attempted with D*, I only got one). Extra equipment costs make the 1st year savings almost a wash. In year 2, you're back where you started with the addition of MRV but a heck of a lot less HD content. I ran the numbers many times before dumping D* a few months ago and it was basically a wash after year 1.

If you're really concerned about saving money, drop the protection plan, drop showtime and get DVDs from redbox or netflix, and get 211's for rooms 2 and 3. Think very carefully about the channel lineup because right now D* is way behind. Unless you're a huge sports fan, the grass is definitely not greener on the D* side of the fence.

And you also know that people rarely come here to say good things. Why cause unless you have a problem that don't think about it. Thur nights are always slam night. Seems like all the nets want to put all the best shows on then.

Or 1 for that matter.

A satellite customer would benifit from 4 satellite tuners more so then 4 OTA.

Well it would be cheaper overall to have 4 sat tuners, and assuming all the locals are in HD, would perform the same functionality. In my case, 4 SAT tuners would be just as good as 2 SAT + 2 OTA. The problem is, no one has a SAT box with more than 2 SAT tuners. And of the two SAT providers, only one allows more than 2 recordings at once on some boxes.

When I switched from E* to D* a number of years ago, it was because D* had the HD I wanted and E* didn't at the time. I did a cursory look at the D* equipment and used a local dealer to ensure that I would get an HR20 because at the time our locals weren't in HD on SAT with either provider. I wanted the HR20 'cause I saw 4 tuners and thought WOW! 4 recordings at once! But alas, that wasn't so and still isn't to this day. For me, going back to only 2 tuners would be a step in the wrong direction. Managing 2 units at one viewing location would be at least irritating.

I switched back to E* when I just could not tolerate the dog slow operation of the HR21 that I had, operation that got slower with each succeeding update. That made me switch when I did. I would have ended up switching anyway when E* started adding more HD that I wanted, but it would have been a bit later.

Because of what I want to watch, E* has the best equipment and channels. For others that wouldn't be the case.

why would the 2 sat tuners need to be in the same place? with mrv you can view recordings from anyplace.
it can be used on a diff tv. that you may not have service too right now.
that $12 a month give you 3 rooms of hd vs 1 room of hd and 1 room of sd, you may not use it, but its there

why would the 2 sat tuners need to be in the same place? with mrv you can view recordings from anyplace.
it can be used on a diff tv. that you may not have service too right now.
that $12 a month give you 3 rooms of hd vs 1 room of hd and 1 room of sd, you may not use it, but its there

In my case, there are 2 tvs. One in the front room that is mine and has the 722k, and the other in my adult son's (sigh...) room and has the 612. We have totally different ideas about what needs to be viewed and he uses his recording all his stuff. There would be very few times when he isn't recording something that would preclude me from recording on it.

So I'd need 2 in the front room to get 4 recordings. MRV would not be a big benefit to me.

In my case, there are 2 tvs. One in the front room that is mine and has the 722k, and the other in my adult son's (sigh...) room and has the 612. We have totally different ideas about what needs to be viewed and he uses his recording all his stuff. There would be very few times when he isn't recording something that would preclude me from recording on it.

So I'd need 2 in the front room to get 4 recordings. MRV would not be a big benefit to me.

sure it could, but the other tuner in a closet, put it in your bedroom for a future tv
it does not have to go with the other one if its only for recording.
im not saying its an optimal solution, but it would work.
but if your happy with what you have now, then by all means keep it.
i loved my dish, but direct had my locals, dish didnt

sure it could, but the other tuner in a closet, put it in your bedroom for a future tv
it does not have to go with the other one if its only for recording.
im not saying its an optimal solution, but it would work.
but if your happy with what you have now, then by all means keep it.
i loved my dish, but direct had my locals, dish didnt

In my area, both services provide the locals in HD. The best part is they put them on the EA. So I get better SD for those few SD channels I still watch, and I have a clearer LOS to the EA. 129 was beginning to be a problem for me because of a neighbor's pesky tree.

At this point in time, D* is not a good solution for me. The HRs are too limiting in a way that I need, and they don't have the national HD that I watch. Sports for me is golf and boxing, and neither service is better than the other for that. In the future, who knows?

Wow, overall I get alot of use from my OTA tuner.

1. I can get three networks from a different DMA, so when mine are breaking in for news bulletins or constantly scrolling at the bottom, I record from the other DMA.

2. There are three or so channels only available over the air, including THIS TV and ANT TV that I can record a few shows from.

3. Provided a nice back-up this winter. Because the EA makes the sat dish more angled towards the sky, it sometimes collects snow. (Never happened in all the years I only had the 119/110 dish) Add to that the literally record amount of snow we have had and it saved me from having to go out at night during a storm and clean off the dish. That won't be an ongoing problem, but having the OTA available to record/rewind etc.. was nice.

4. If you only have one receiver, there can be three shows on networks at once especially when the kids want a show and you want different ones. (I agree about the cable shows, generally they can be recorded at a later time)

Remember, not all only work during the day. When I am working nights, being able to record is a must. Just getting OTA on the antenna might be ok if I am home, otherwise going through the receiver really makes a difference.

My media center PCs all have 4 OTA tuners which is why I don't have locals on my account (at least until I change something and lose the grandfathering). Having 4 sat tuners would require some additional fancy bandstacking to reduce cable runs or at least one extra cable to the receiver, I would think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)