Cooling off period?

Wired

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
Is there a cooling off period (say 30 days) in which you can cancel dish and get your money back (the 199 upgrade)?

No. That is the lease fee to upgrade to a dual tuner HDDVR. Upgrade fee includes any upgrades that are necessary to receive all of the HD channels (additional/new dish. Purchase price can be had for $499 and does not include any dish upgrades need (i.e. D1000 or wing dish at 61.5).

Don't forget to mention the 18 month programming commitment, at a minimum of $50/month.

Only way to buy your way out of that is to pay about $13/mon for every month left on your commitment.

So if you back out now, you not only lose the $199, but you also owe them around $240.

That is, unless you waived the commitment by not taking the $50 credit on your first months bill for DHA.

Last edited:
Tom Bombadil said:
Don't forget to mention the 18 month programming commitment, at a minimum of $50/month.

Only way to buy your way out of that is to pay about $13/mon for every month left on your commitment.

So if you back out now, you not only lose the $199, but you also owe them around $240.

That is, unless you waived the commitment by not taking the $50 credit on your first months bill for DHA.
If you are a new DISH Network subscriber turn to the last page of your contract and read "Money Back Guarantee" it explains the 30 day time period and fees that are refundable.:)

boba said:
If you are a new DISH Network subscriber turn to the last page of your contract and read "Money Back Guarantee" it explains the 30 day time period and fees that are refundable.:)

Hmm, I don't have that agreement in front of me but I was told by the sales CSR that the 30 day money back guarantee would refund EVERYTHING including programming charges (in full, not prorated), the $199 fee, and the $49 install fee. I also specifically asked if the 18 month committment would be negated and he said it would be. Is this not correct? I am a new customer as of 4 days ago and am still evaluating the service.

Also, if you do cancel within 30 days, do they come and take the dish back or just leave it for potential future usage?

Is that the same as this?

https://www.dishtv.com/terms_dha04.jsp

It looks like the $240 obligation & 18 month programming commitment don't lock in until day 31.

It states that if you terminated within the 30-day Money Back Guarantee period that:

"DISH Network will waive the applicable pro-rated $240 cancellation fee and credit your account for the monthly programming fees, equipment rental fees, DISH Network DVR service fees, additional outlet programming access fees, HD enabling fees, activation fees, and corresponding taxes and/or reimbursement charges for gross earnings taxes (in all cases, if any) that were charged to your account"

Last edited:
hperry said:
Hmm, I don't have that agreement in front of me but I was told by the sales CSR that the 30 day money back guarantee would refund EVERYTHING including programming charges (in full, not prorated), the $199 fee, and the $49 install fee. I also specifically asked if the 18 month committment would be negated and he said it would be. Is this not correct? I am a new customer as of 4 days ago and am still evaluating the service.

Also, if you do cancel within 30 days, do they come and take the dish back or just leave it for potential future usage?

i would say cancle it, see what they try and pull, if they charge you contact your state attorney general, as their 30 day money back guarantee states outherwse, and they coudent say well it changed since you signed it. because its only been 4 days.

RIRWIN1983 said:
i would say cancle it, see what they try and pull, if they charge you contact your state attorney general, as their 30 day money back guarantee states outherwse, and they coudent say well it changed since you signed it. because its only been 4 days.

You need to read the top of the contract. The upgrade fee is non-refundable. All other fees are.

3) programming and other payments applicable to the purchase of pay-per-view or video-on-demand programming, the lease upgrade fee (if applicable) of up to $199.99 for the model ViP622 DVR receiver, the lease upgrade fee (if applicable) of up to $99.00 for the second model 522, 625 or HomeZone 1022 receiver and corresponding taxes and/or reimbursement charges are non-refundable, including without limitation in the event of a Money Back Guarantee Fulfillment (as defined below);

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts