coolsat 6000 bit the dust

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The power supply is a switching unit and I really doubt you damaged it, now I may be wrong, but here is something to think about. You mention no output voltage, this type of power supply needs to have a load before they will work and they also can shut down when another component has a short causing an over voltage condition.
Looking at your pictures nothing jumps out showing damage, burn resistor,blown diode or bad caps. Normally caps go bad due to overheating and age. You might try removing other boards and see if the supply put any voltage out.

I used to work on copmuters, vcr etc in the late 90's, now-adays, there to damn hard to work on, and if its on the psu side theres some room, but if its on the mainboard... forgot it! Those little surface mount resitors and fuses are the size of... well... I cant find anything tiny enough to compare them! If a SMF (surface mount fuse) blows I just put a glob of solder over it.

something id test is every little trace on the psu. start where there main voltiacs enter the conductor where its soldered to the psu. Check al the capacitors for signs of leakage around the base, check them with a small current and see if the discharge right, check everything, you may even have oxidazation on the contacts of the main power switch, although i doubt thats the case, anything and everything can go bad. My problem was a leaky cap on the mainboard, before it went out, the front panel led would flicker, now all thats fixed. the main psu schematic cant be found on the web, but its not to hard for the novice geek to trace out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)