Coolsat 6000 Premium

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mbarnes

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I see a whole pile of new Coolsat 6000 Premium receivers on eBay so far all are <$50. I read the reviews here, but they are almost three years old.

Are these still suitable receivers? Are they still supported for firmware updates, etc?

IOW, is it worth spending money on these days? Some are <$20 so far. That is more in my price range.

Thanks.

Are these still suitable receivers? Are they still supported for firmware updates, etc?

IOW, is it worth spending money on these days? Some are <$20 so far. That is more in my price range.

There are no new firmware updates, but you can use download the satellite / channel list and use a tool like Channel Master to update the satellites. I bought one used locally for $30 and it is a nice receiver. It blindscans better than my Coolsat 7000. The 7000 sometimes hangs on certain transponders and won't finish the scan. The Coolsat 6000 has never done that in the month or two I've had it.

I think they are easily worth $30, even used. If you can get a new one shipped for less than $50 you should be ok. Assuming you have a Windows PC with a serial port handy for Channel Master. :)

The only Windows I have are for looking into the backyard. Linux and Open Source are the only way to go here.

I thought Channel Master was a TV antenna?

I'm not aware of any channel editors for Linux, or even downloaders. You can edit the satellite list on the receiver itself, just not as nice result.

Channel Master is an antenna maker and someone "borrowed" the name for a channel editor. Look for "sharpc channel master" on google.

gillham I have used linux to load software updates to my viewsat, used windows 2000 to format the usb stick though. Not sure if it would work otherwise. You might not have any luck trying to update your software with the rs232 cable though-I think most of those loader programs that are needed are probably windows-only. I'm running SlamD64, a 64bit version of Slackware.

I've been running channel master in Wine, but haven't tried to upload the files to my 6000 yet, not sure about the serial support in wine.

I don't understand why these manufacturers have to get so fancy in their updates. I use tons of equipment that occasionally need firmware updates. The ones with serial ports have all been simple xmodem uploads and the ones with Ethernet ports are just basic tftp. You just get the .bin file and upload it and tell the device to upgrade. People always seem to needlessly complicate things. Things like channel lists, etc. should just be simple text files. If all else fails, I guess I can always use a hex editor to tweak the file as needed.

I did finally buy one of these on eBay. Supposed to be new in box. I shouldn't have been in such a hurry, though. I got mine for $45. They go every half hour. The next two were in the mid $30s, the rest so far look like they're holding in the $20s. Oh well. I got one. Now I can get started FTA'ing.

No motor yet. What is a good satellite to start with that might have something worth watching?

Last edited:
No motor yet. What is a good satellite to start with that might have something worth watching?

123° and 97° are probably best. 123° has the most US network programming on Ku band, while there are a ton of International channels on 97° as well as radio stations.

Yep, you should have tried again... I got one of those the other day for $35.01 shipped. Got this one as a Christmas gift for my dad.
I haven't tried doing anything via Linux on it.
I have one PC that dual-boots XP when I have to revert to primitive tactics.... heh, heh, heh...

Wow, I bought it on eBay Saturday and it showed up this afternoon. Now I gotta get a dish up and play with it. All together, new packaging, looks like brand new as advertised. Says 2007 Edition on the box. Finally, after all these years a real FTA receiver.

Wow, I bought it on eBay Saturday and it showed up this afternoon. Now I gotta get a dish up and play with it. All together, new packaging, looks like brand new as advertised. Says 2007 Edition on the box. Finally, after all these years a real FTA receiver.
make sure it is not a clone,there have been alot of clones for the 6000 model.As long as you stick with factory firmware you shoud be ok.

They may look good for that price, but might not work! The hackers try to put hacker files on them, and it tears them up, lol.

heh heh...yeah....heard that before. Brand new in the box and you get it with hackware on it

been there seen that....I've seen too many "claim" New in Box. I thought it was funny when I got a Pansat 5000 that "claimed" the newest factory software in it...It might have been the newest factory software but the hard drive had a bunch of "PPV" programs on it.....hmmmmm :rolleyes:

Umm, wouldn't be that statement "might not work!" is sort of overreacting ? So, it would be safe to buy it regarding its working condition and fix FW later and delete PPV too ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)