Coolsat 6000 RF in?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

colbec

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Eastern Ontario, Canada
The coolsat manual tells me to plug my RF antenna into the RF in spot on the back of the box and I can activate it by pressing the TV/SAT button on the remote. When I do this I get 'E0' or something like that in the box LED and the satellite picture remains in place on the RCA output. I guess there is no TV tuner in the box so just how is this supposed to work? I imagine that it outputs through the RF out and then you use the RF tuner in the TV or something? In which case why not just connect the RF direct to the TV?

I did check Shawn's review but did not find a reference to the RF in.

Not that I desperately need it, just curious to find out why Coolsat would bother making the input part of the box since it does not seem to do anything. Anybody using this aspect of the box?

PS Using factory basic software.

If you were using the 6000's RF modulator to feed your TV, then I think pressing the button described, and having an outside antenna would be more fulfilling.
The outdoor antenna would then be simply passed through to your TV set... instead of the modulated output of the Coolsat

Yes, it's like Anole says. It would be like an A/B switch between the OTA antenna and your satellite dish. It would only apply as Anole says through the RF modulator (or coax connections), and while on the OTA or TV part of the remote/button it would supply the Tuner in your TV with the signals from your OTA antenna.

Al

colbec, you could run a coax from the Coolsat to your VCR (OTA) antenna input, and have the OTA antenna going into the Coolsat, and then use the Remote to switch between Satellite and Antenna and be able to Record from the Satellite, as well as Antenna. But, you're probably already set-up with AV jacks to do that?

Al

Hi Al, one of the problems is that the OTA signal I am after is very weak even with an inline amp (public broadcaster that does not care if I get a signal or not), and any break in the coax such as diversion through the coolsat just attenuates the signal and wipes me out completely. As you say I have an alternate route that ensures that if there is a signal it is the best I can get.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)