Coolsat 8000 broken???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sorry. I didn't see Anole's reply before sending previous. FYI I also have "Squeezed" (square) pick on most of the channels I do get, although both CS and TV say 16:9 at 1080i.

Anole: I just checked again...coax on right connector.
There are 2 issues that I'm having problems with in this thread.
1) I did get ota when I scanned them in 2 weeks ago but get nothing now after factory reset.
2) Cannot open loader file from Iceberg in message #8 so that I can load new firmware.
I have no experience with loading firmware. Do I have to hook up rs232 cable before loader file will open??
Thank You.

Don't know since I don't have that receiver. Are you viewing this on a SDTV or a 4:3 HDTV? (Yes there are some 4:3 HDTVs, I have one from Philips)... Is there a 1080i/4:3 option? In theory that would letterbox the 16:9 signal and give you a 4:3 output, like watching a widescreen DVD on a SDTV...

Thanks Tron, don't have that option. Trying now to update receiver. That might do the job. No mscomm.ocx. Fixed. Now the famous runtime error 8018. Working on that. If update, if i can do it, doesn't do the trick, I'll try to find something .

Ah, ok, so this is where the Runtime error thread came from. Again Jim what were you doing/running when it happened.

Just an update and thanks to Iceberg and others...got my ota channels back by upgrading firmware on my cs8000. Had some issues with .ocx files on computer so could not execute loader file but OK now.

I'm stubborn. but stumped. Spent all day on this. Finally reinstalled XP pro. That fixed error messages. Here's where I'm at. Can get loader screen with no problem. However. although bottom tab says "port open". Com port 1 (correct) is greyed out. CMOS says it's open. as does Device Manager. The loader will accept the 9A Coolsat upgrade. I followed Ice's download instructions to the letter. Upon "Start" the dumb screen just sits there and looks at me. No error messages. No activity whatsoever. It will not download. That's why I'm stumped. If it would come out and fight like a man, I could do something about it. Do know I appreciate your help.

Ok, CMOS says it's open? Is this the same CMOS I am thinking of?

Anyways so you followed Ice's download instructions? What were those? I can't find them in a quick search.

I would assume they were something like
Connect the power to the box
Connect the NULL cable (8000 uses a null cable, you do have that correct?)
With the 8000 I have heard that you need to start the upload to the box then turn on the box with the switch in the back. It's kind of like my 5000 was when I was changing channel lists etc. I had to start the transfer then turn on the box.

But again, I am not really sure what the instructions were that you are following. You have at least 2 threads going and it's hard to follow what exactly is going on.

The CMOS (copper metal oxide) chip is for computer setup, at boot, that establishes what things (COM1 e.g.) are connected. Com1 is working there and in further system check.

Iceman's instructions to Jayt224320: "attached is the loader. You'll need that.1. hook up the cable from box to receiver. 2. Open up loader. 3. power on receiver. Make sure it is on. 4. Open up firmware you got from Coolsat site ( make sure to unzip it). You'll scroll to "all files" to see the file. 5. press start on computer. 6. power off box with switch on back and turn right back on,

Box will download newest software. DO NOT turn off box again until it is completely done and cycled through. The computer will say done about 30 seconds before the software is done in the box."

Downloaded Ice's loader and update 9A update for CS8000 from Coolsat. I followed instructions to the letter, and, later, every variation thereof I could think of, including your suggestion.

What I get is this, (and I have a licensed copy of mscomm32.ocx): Ice's loader v3.01 gives screen which has "Download" and "Firmware" checked. However, COM1 is checked BUT GREYED OUT. The loader accepts the Coolsat update fine. At the bottom of the screen are three tabs (Port Open, Start, and Stop). When Start is pushed (receiver is fully on) then off/on, absolutely nothing happens except the whole screen goes grey, and the receiver goes "Ld" then "---" then "Standby". It will not take the update no matter what tricks I try.

Tried this on a new 128bit computer I just built and thoroughly checked. Exact same result.

I do have some some computer/sat knowledge, and have uploaded and downloaded various components hundreds of times. Tried all my "back doors" to get this to work.

Exact failure in two computers, tells me that this is a software problem. Receiver does pick up and broadcast 3 locals. C0M1. box should be black, not grey. Interestingly enough, if you press the bottom left loader screen button it changes to "Port Closed" and everything changes to proper black. On "Start", though, you get the 8018 error message.

Incidentally, Coolsat is Worthless!!. The same guy answers both the Support and the Repair telephone. He admittedly has no tech knowledge at all. He just repairs receivers. Can't get to anyone else, "Send it back and we will repair it - in 4 weeks"

Finally: I'm sorry about the 2 threads. Was new, and 8018 error was a computer error, not FTA. Thought some hacker out there might know, Fixed it myself. Present error message is legit. (can't download from a closed port). Will stick to this thread from now on. Equally very sorry to be so long winded. Hate it, but necessary. After about 15 hours, I'm at a loss.

Do you know where I can get another loader? Can't do anything about Coolsat's update.

Again, my sincere thanks for your time and interest.

Jim, I know what CMOS is( which btw stands for Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconductor, not Copper Metal Oxide), but CMOS has never told me if com1 was open or closed, just present or not present so that is why I was asking.

Jim it seems to me:
1. you have a defective 8000 (maybe just the port)
2. not using a null cable or that cable is bad
When you say the whole screen goes grey, is this on the computer or is the 8000 still connected to the tv and the tv goes grey? on the led on the front you say it says LD (which in some research is where the 8000 is loading the internal software) and not taking the update, but in the LD process is where the receiver should take the new software you are trying to send to it so that is why the usual process is to power the receiver off, connect everything, start the transfer, then power on the receiver.

Possibly do you have your port settings in windows setup funky? Like 7n1 instead of 8n1? I don't know how smart the loader is, so maybe it is not overriding windows settings.

On the loader, I downloaded it. It appears to start automatically with last com port selected in the open state. Pressing stop, change the port press start again to open the new port. I don't think it's a loader problem itself, but possibly a conflict with something on your PC's. The only version of the loader I have seen is the one you have.

Yes, btw I agree coolsat support is worthless.

Last edited:
When you open the loader, the COM box is greyed out

The receiver needs to be powered on and on a channel when you start

open up the file from coolsat site (make sure to unzip it first)

press start on computer and flip the switch on the back of the reciever off then back on (wait a 1/2 second or so in between). The reciever will do the "LD" thing on screen of receiver and then shuld download. I've downloaded the software in the box numerous times (since there has been about 4 or 5 factory upgrades) and they all worked fine.

A question. How do I get pages 4 to last page on this thread? Can't seem to do it. Can get 3 and last page.

To keep it short. After 20 hours I'm pretty sure we've narrowed the problem to one of three sources; bad receiver, bad RS232 or conflict (if you say the loader software is clean). The update is simply not getting through. I have run all of your instructions innumerable times, and a few variations of my own. The clue is when the update loads. The grey-out of the Com1 block says that that the port is not operating properly. While my RS232 is brand new and came with the CS, it's a good thought. I have 6 cables. Naturally, all 6 are M/F where I need F/F. COM1 is OK (8n1). Use it on another programmer with M/F connections.

SatinKzo. You are right. The CMOS only sets the COM1 parameters and Device Manager confirms it's working. There are instances where Device Manager is wrong. That's why I tested on another programmer. Btw you have dated me. Back in my days of the original IBM PC, the CMOS was copper. It deteriorated and was replaced. I haven't a clue what they're using now. I never had a reason to keep up on that particular subject, but I am now updated to "Complimentary" Thank you. I mean it.

Unless you have any further ideas, I'll keep at it, and let you know if I have any luck. I would hate to send it to Coolsat. To Iceberg, SatinKzo and all others who have tried to help, my sincere thanks.

just checking
your sure the cable is a null cable , i read somewhere where the wrong cable got shipped. and a standard cable would give this type of response cause the receiver can't understand it correct ?? just thinking , I hate for you to send it back, but i know after a week of fooling around with it you want it to work.

Thank you my friend. You're right! Tried to get one null F/F cable today on limited time. No luck. Have to get to CompUSA. I should not have assumed CS cable was OK. Will post when I get this thing straightened out - if ever. Thanks again.

Problem solved. Receiver updated and running locals. It was the supposedly null F/F serial cable includud in the Coolsat 8000 shipment. That cable was either not null or defective. Drove 25 miles and got a new one. Had I had another cable at hand, this would have been resolved a whole lot sooner.

Let me repeat my appreciation to all those who offered their help and suggeations, especially SatinKzo and Iceberg who hung in there from the beginning. Couldn't have done it without them.

Iceberg, if you read this, Your instructions were right on. Might I make a suggestion, though? When scanning for locals (DTV) the 460,000kh scan starting point may be too high. I complained that I could not get my most powerful OTA channels. Finally, on a hunch, I started to scan at 100,000Kh in increments of 1,000 and went to lunch. My missing channels came right up in the 190,000Kh range, far below factory default settings. You might consider warning about a null serial cable, too, although I'm somewhat prejudiced on that subject.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)