Coolsat 8000 question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

yoyogoo

Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Hi all,
I just wonder what does it take for people like me that doesn't have any cable and dish service setup in my house but want to get into the OTA market.
What kind of equipments do I need to get this 8000HD up and running. I understand I need a receiver, LNBF, and a dish. But, can anyone guide me of what kind of a dish and model of LNBF do I need to get this receiver to work.
Also, is it any different between the dish network dish compare to the other OTA dish. Because the previous owner left his dish when he move out and is it possible to reuse that dish.
Do I need any other accessories like dish network motor and satellite finder for the setup.
Thank you for helping the newbie :)

Ok, first welcome to satguys.
To start
OTA is Over The Air; you use an antenna to receive these broadcasts
You mean you want to do FTA or Free To Air and you use a sat dish, lnb to receiver these
As for differences between FTA and dishnetwork dishes, yes, there is a size difference. FTA requires the use of a larger dish to adequately pull in the signal.

As for adding a motor, you mention a dish network motor, I don't believe there is such an animal, but adding a motor to an FTA setup does make it much easier to get multiple satelites.

What programming are you looking to get?

Ok, first welcome to satguys.
To start
OTA is Over The Air; you use an antenna to receive these broadcasts
You mean you want to do FTA or Free To Air and you use a sat dish, lnb to receiver these
As for differences between FTA and dishnetwork dishes, yes, there is a size difference. FTA requires the use of a larger dish to adequately pull in the signal.
Thanks for the reply.
Can you tell this is how bad I am when I involve with TV.
You right, I mean I want to do the FTA but I don't know what is the minimum size requirement for the dish to receive the signal. Also, do I need to purchase a LNB or is it come with it along with the dish

What programming are you looking to get?
I just move in to this house about 3 weeks ago. So basically I just use an indoor antenna to receive whatever I could get from that antenna.

Again, thanks for the help. :hatsoff:

It might help you to pay a visit to one of the site sponsors - sadoun.com or satelliteav.com have both been good to me. You'll find that they sell packages containing everything you need. Depending on who you buy from/what you buy, you may get everything you need, or you may need to buy lnb, dish, receiver, wiring, etc all separately.

To answer your questions further requires more information - i.e. what type of programming you're looking to receive, and where you are located. Dish size varies depending on where you're located and what satellites you want to receive from (fringe areas require larger dishes). There are different types of lnb's and dish sizes depending on whether you are looking to get KU-Band signals or C-Band signals. You may also find a need for different receivers depending on whether you want to receive digital or analog signals.

The most popular items you'll see discussed here, are probably a KU-Band digital setup. This normally consists of the lnbf, a 36" or better dish (can be smaller, but not much), and a digital satellite receiver (and maybe a motor if you're adventurous and want to receive channels from more than one satellite).

Check out the sponsor, and if you have questions, come back with details on what you're looking for. You also might check out lyngsat.com and see what free channels are available on each satellite in your region, so that you know what you'll be looking to receive.

If you are looking for OTA stuff with an antenna, then the 8000 is overkill. I would just look around for a nice ATSC OTA tuner.
There are many out there Samsung, LG make some. Take a look at local best buy or Circuit city if you have one nearby or online
here's a link to get you started on some of them
http://tv.about.com/od/accesspries/tp/topATSCreceiver.htm
here's a link at Amazon for more products. It's got antenna's and everything kind of mixed in
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...rl=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=HDTV+tuner

There are lots of places to look around for the stuff, I am just getting you started in the general direction. I swear in the past I thought sadoun and other sponsers had some ATSC set top box tuners but I can't find them now.

Also, you will want to go to http://www.antennaweb.org and enter your street info to give you insight as to what is actually available near you OTA wise and what type of antenna you'll need.

Back to your other question on FTA dish, LNB. you might want to check out site sponsors Sadoun, satelliteav or gosatellite for package deals on everything you'd need for FTA.

Hi:

To get the channels that could normally be received over the Dish Network dish you would need to suscribe to the 'Dish Network' services. There is a monthly fee involved.

An indoor UHF/VHF TV antenna such as 'rabbit ears' would pick up a few local TV stations if they are close to you. I live a long way (30 miles or more) from any stations and use a 40 meter tower with a fairly decent outdoor antenna....... and still don't get many stations. (this is the OTA method)

With FTA you are using a bigger sat dish (30" or more), a universal LNB and a FTA receiver. Many people use a motor on the dish so that they can point to many different satellites. Most of the channels up there are encrypted but there are still many that are broadcast in the 'clear'. You can pick up some network channes but if you want to watch specilized stuff like 'The Discovery Channel' or 'Bravo' this is not the way to go.

Hope I have been of some help.

cheers
Bryce

Thank for the help. I will check out those site once I get off work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)