Coolsat audible peaking

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

colbec

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I seem to have lost the on/off option in the setup for the audible assistance while peaking the dish on this new Coolsat 6000. Worked perfect on the old box, I guess this one must be switched off by default but I can't find where to turn it on. Sound from channels is good.

Any hints where it can be found in the setup, if there is an on/off option?

Looks like I have wrong software. Version 1.00 is installed, missing two items in the dish setup. Time to update.

Edit: nope, I was wrong. Just downloaded the factory software from coolsat site, rebooted, identical software details and no change. Must have been dreaming. I guess this box is not quite right. That audible tone is very important to me.

Last edited:
I don't think (probably) I have the answer you are looking for, but with mine (I think?) if you use the A/V outputs, the tone doesn't work. At least I have never heard it with mine. If you use the coaxual tv output, it should work. At least it does with mine. If it doesn't work with the coax, I'm at a loss? I don't know of a place to cut it on and off? If you find a place, please let me know!

Al

I know on the CS5000 there are 2 "factory" software versions
Version 1.00 is the original and has a max signal of 82-85 and no audible tone
Version 1.01 is the "updated" version (I know the version I've seen was really old hack software) and did have that audible tone and the meter went to 99 but had an issue with the motor. If you went to a satellite and the transponder listed wasn't active, the box would keep saying "moving to XXXX" and wouldn't disappear until it got a signal.

Iceberg, this makes a lot of sense. I tried Al's suggestion but no go. I've a feeling there is different software on my old box, it was purchased at a different location. Looks like I have no grounds to try to RMA my current box. I thought I had seen some previous posts about a 1.01 software, but could not find it. I will try again.

I just tried 2 Coolsats, one with S/W 1.00 and one with S/W 1.01. They both did the same thing. The coax gives a Static Sound and the A/V plugs give Dead Silence. So, Iceberg is right again. Go figure?
Then I tried my Pansat 3500s and it does as I said in the previous post (post #3). The A/V plugs are Silent and the coax gives a tone. So I guess I was confusing the Pansat with the Coolsat? Sorry!
I never use a tone anyway, I use a small tv and look at the picture of the Signal Meter. Works much better! Good Luck!

Al

Thanks Al, you have saved me some work. I found the audible tones very convenient since I could just use a phone in intercom mode which left both hands and eyeballs free for adjusting the dish. I shall miss it. Sufficiently that I now switch to ingenuity mode.

I learned similar problem with this Viewsat Ultra, that tone is handy to have sometimes. But awhile back it just quit working-the option is there in the menus but
won't make a sound. Discovered that if you use that 'optical' cable for AC-3 output, it
seems to cut that tone off.

Just saw a little while ago on ebay a device that would do what you need. Looks like you put it in line like a signal meter, it has what looks like a ear piece that gives the tone. Price was something like $12.95 for buy it now. Its call SF-100 Satellite Beeper Signal Finder.

it has what looks like a ear piece that gives the tone. Price was something like $12.95 for buy it now. Its call SF-100 Satellite Beeper Signal Finder.

OUCH !!!
Does it really have an ear piece ?
I would be very cautious about putting anything in my ear that is connected to a signal meter , I do like those signal meters but unless you adjust them they are extremely loud , so loud that when I shut it off my ears are still hearing that shreiking sound.

I have a drawer full of those in-line signal meters. Not much use for me, they work good with DBS, but I've had little success with regular ku.

Al

Never tried them with C-band, but then I've never had to either...

OUCH !!!
Does it really have an ear piece ?
I would be very cautious about putting anything in my ear that is connected to a signal meter , I do like those signal meters but unless you adjust them they are extremely loud , so loud that when I shut it off my ears are still hearing that shreiking sound.

You're right about the ear deal, actually it looks like something you would hang on somewhere not put in your ear,because it looks flat.

Darn, the small signal meter is exactly what I had in mind after seeing it advertised by my DMS International retailer, but seeing some of the comments here I am rather put off the idea. It comes as part of a kit with compass and battery connector so that it can be operated without the receiver voltage present. Seemed like a neat idea to me. You would think with 15V available in the line it would be able to run a tiny speaker. Anyone willing to sing its praises?

Edit: looks like there are two models from DMSI, the SF100 with earpiece, and the SF95C which looks as though it stands alone and has a meter needle to get you started. Looks like it would be a good thing to have. If it works as expected then it would be better than an audible tone from the Coolsat. Much more cat friendly.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts