Coolsat On-Screen-Display

Status
Please reply by conversation.
GaryPen said:
At the very least, one should be able to save a firmware bin in case a re-flash is necessary. In fact, I don't believe you can re-install a previous sw version. So, if you buy a box off ebay that has been flashed with pirate firmware, you're stuck. There is apparently no way to revert to factory fresh condition! (That's the consensus on the less-than-100%-legitimate fta sites, anyway.)

actually you can go back (these ain't Dish Notwork boxes) :D

Just download the old over the existing. I did that with a Pansat 6000 all the time

1st software was good
2nd was decent
3rd sucked...went back to 2nd
4th worked better so I overrode 2nd

when I sold it, I went back to the original software :)

GaryPen said:
Are you saying that some of the 3rd party bin files out there offer improvements in scanning, sensitivity, etc in addition to the bad stuff?

not necessarily scanning & sensativity. Most of the 3rd party bins don't touch anything on the legit FTA and only help them steal

It has added some features in older boxes. I took some old N1 software (long after N2 was out) and put it in a KUSat (Digiwave) reciever. It gave me AC-3 output and USALS (default software had 1.2 only and no AC-3)

I didnt gain any extra channels but I had USALS function and AC-3 for PBS :)

Iceberg said:
actually you can go back (these ain't Dish Notwork boxes) :D

Just download the old over the existing. I did that with a Pansat 6000 all the time

1st software was good
2nd was decent
3rd sucked...went back to 2nd
4th worked better so I overrode 2nd

when I sold it, I went back to the original software :)
According to the most popular site for the CS boxes, it doesn't work that way with the CS. It sounded crazy to me, because any piece of upgradable hw I've ever had, I was able to upgrade and downgrade the firmware, bios, etc. But, they say no, when it comes to the CS.

I'm not about to try it out. I don't wanna get stuck with hacked sw on my box, and no way to go back. Plus, I can't even find the 1.01 bin anywhere, which is what I have now. So, I'd have to go back to 1.00, if it's even possible.

I'll pm you the thread I'm talking about.

GaryPen said:
Are you saying that some of the 3rd party bin files out there offer improvements in scanning, sensitivity, etc in addition to the bad stuff?
Not necessarily functions such as that but one feature I do remember on my Coolsat was the ability to sound a tone that varied in pitch with signal strength. My old Bell ExpressVu receiver used to do that (when I subbed six-odd years ago).

It made life a lot easier for FTA dish aiming: 1) set up a baby monitor transmitter at the tv, 2) bring the baby monitor receiver with you to the roof and 3) adjust dish for highest frequency tone! :)

Too bad the factory firmware lacks that feature.

Last edited:
GaryPen said:
I'm not about to try it out. I don't wanna get stuck with hacked sw on my box, and no way to go back. Plus, I can't even find the 1.01 bin anywhere, which is what I have now. So, I'd have to go back to 1.00, if it's even possible.
I understand there is a way to flash a hacked CS back to real original (1.01) by cloning it from a virgin CS box.

GaryPen said:

The use of 3rd party firmware voids the Coolsat Factory Warranty. Satellite AV in no way endorses the use of any 3rd party firmware. Our experience in the Warranty Repair of various brands of satellite equipment has allowed our techs to bench receivers that had been damaged by 3rd party firmware and channel lists that corrupted the firmware. (Yes, the loading of an improperly built channel list can disable a receiver!)

There are many features that are unsupported in the factory firmware that are added or fixed in 3rd party firmware. For example: the CS4000 factory firmware Blind Search was bare bone and yielded average to poor results. The 3rd party releases added parameter scanning and supported various LNBFs, switches and sorting. Similar releases for the 5000 and 6000 fixed firmware errors and added features. Unfortunately, Coolsat does not provide firmware updates for enhancing the features of your unit and these extra features are only available through 3rd party firmware, which is often used for the theft of satellite services.

Unfortunately, there is no legit way to update many brands of receivers that were not primarily developed for the reception of free to air programming. Certain manufacturers are known for the outstanding support that they give to the hobbyist interested in the legal reception of unencrypted programming...... Fortec is certainly the leader in continuing support for their customers!

GaryPen said:
Ice - Maybe the newer ones are using a different FW? Mine is 1.01(2/17/06). I think a lot of 5000's were 1.00.

In fact, 1.00(10/7/05) is still the only FW on their website for the 5K. Pretty lame, considering the newest FW is 1.01.

A serious drawback to the CS Loader sw, is that you cannot DL the FW to a PC to use as a backup, or to xfer to another reciver. Otherwise, I'd email you a copy of 1.01.

I just checked the "System Information" on mine. It stated S/W version of 1.01 Feb 27 2006 H/W version 1.10

Interesting question Tony, I usually don't pay it no mind unless it's being discussed on here somewhere. Right now on TAN TV with an 80cm dish, I'm getting a solid 69%., on GNF Movies it's a solid 73%, and Russia Today is pulling in 70%.

Al

well I found out something interesting....

I found a real old copy of version 1.01 for the Coolsat and downloaded it into the box (made sure to save a channel list first). Downloaded the software and reloaded the channels.

Now the test...what happens

turned on CBS Newsfeed.....90 :) (70 on old version)
Went to Doc Scott....90 (71 on old)
Went to CCTV...90 (72 on old)
went to KUIL...98 :D (82 on old)
3ABN...98 :D (82 on old)

so now it looks like there might be a truer meter on the Coolsat. Montana PBS is at 90 (use to be at 72)...GBN did max at 99

no biggie. I have it on my computer that can be easily zipped.

I havent found anything wrong with it so far (although the beep when you aim the dish is really loud) :)

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
well I found out something interesting....

I found a real old copy of version 1.01 for the Coolsat and downloaded it into the box (made sure to save a channel list first). Downloaded the software and reloaded the channels.

Now the test...what happens

turned on CBS Newsfeed.....90 :) (70 on old version)
Went to Doc Scott....90 (71 on old)
Went to CCTV...90 (72 on old)
went to KUIL...98 :D (82 on old)
3ABN...98 :D (82 on old)

so now it looks like there might be a truer meter on the Coolsat. Montana PBS is at 90 (use to be at 72)...GBN did max at 99
Do you think it only calibrated the meter? Or, is it possible it increased sensitivity somehow?

You should try on a marginal channel, one that barely came in before. See if it comes in good now.

well I played with this a little more and I'm going back to the original tomorrow

found out some issues with it
-no the picture wasn't more stable. I picked BYU TV on Satmex5 which is barely on the threshold here in MN and it was the same
-the signal is more spazmatic now than my Pansat. Montana PBS was jumping
87 to 69 to 87 to 68 to 90 to 68 etc
-the receiver gets confused when I want it to go to AMC2. I don't have any channels programmed in for AMC2 and the TP I have logged isnt active so it keeps saying "moving to AMC2" and doesnt disappear
-it gets hung on a data channel. I scanned AMC9 which has data channels and after 3 minutes I had to power the unit down. It won't go past it :(

The pros
-meter shows higher
-fine tune motor movement
-beep option for the meter (although it is pretty high pitch)
-screen says "moving to XXXXX" and stays on the screen until it stops at satellite (except for AMC2)

I could deal with the meter and everything else but having it hang on a data TP isn't worth it and the not being able to hit AMC2 isnt worth it either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)