CoolSat, PanSat, 922 or ??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cspiteri

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
I`m tired of paying $150 to have my Tracker 8+ power supply repaired (for the 3d time). I`ve decided to upgrade but don`t know which receiver to purchase. I have a 10` Weingard dish and C band only. I want the new receiver to be able to position the dish. I`m also concerned that when the mpeg4 comes on line that my "new" receiver will be obsolete.
Am I better off waiting until mpeg4 is up and running then buying a compatible receiver or????
Thanks for sharing you knowledge...........

cspiteri said:
I`m tired of paying $150 to have my Tracker 8+ power supply repaired (for the 3d time). I`ve decided to upgrade but don`t know which receiver to purchase. I have a 10` Weingard dish and C band only. I want the new receiver to be able to position the dish. I`m also concerned that when the mpeg4 comes on line that my "new" receiver will be obsolete.
Am I better off waiting until mpeg4 is up and running then buying a compatible receiver or????

Start out with a cheap analog receiver off of ebay to move the dish & then slave what ever digital receiver you want .

You are never going to beat the obsolete issue .

Wyr

Does your reply mean that none of these receivers have dish positioning capability??

cspiteri said:

The 4dtv will be the best to get, it will position the dish, give you all the channels you have now plus a ton of digital some free and many subsciption, I would not worry about mpeg4 much I do not see the broadcasters jumping on that anytime soon, the Pansat/Coolsat are just free to air units, you will not get any subsciption programming, these are great to ad on to the 4dtv later on Ku-band is also a great addition to the system you have.

glad i read this post i was looking at recivers on ebay so the pansat coolsat dont have a plase to stick your board in if u do want to get something besides free to bair channels? can you put your board in 4dtv reciver or do they have somthing besides a board in them if u want to subscribe?will 4dtv reciver pick up all the free to air channels that pansat coolsat will? also is my question here apropreate or should i have posted a new question im trying to learn about this new stuff so ive just been kinda jumping in there if i see somthing i want to know about and have vbeen busy reading old posts trying to learn and going to links off them thanks

rover54 said:
glad i read this post i was looking at recivers on ebay so the pansat coolsat dont have a plase to stick your board in if u do want to get something besides free to bair channels? can you put your board in 4dtv reciver or do they have somthing besides a board in them if u want to subscribe?will 4dtv reciver pick up all the free to air channels that pansat coolsat will? also is my question here apropreate or should i have posted a new question im trying to learn about this new stuff so ive just been kinda jumping in there if i see somthing i want to know about and have vbeen busy reading old posts trying to learn and going to links off them thanks

No , the Pansat or the Coolsat do not have a place to use a VC II Plus board . No , they will not operate a C band dish motor ( unless you use a V-Box ) .

The Pansat can operate the Polorotor .

Wyr

Happy with my 922, but wondering about adding FTA

I would recomend the DSR922. They are available from several sources quite a bit cheaper than they used to be (see NPS site for instance). They should be coming down in price on the ebay used aftermarket. The DSR922 supports analog C and Ku as well as 4DTV digital on these bands. You can put your VCxx decoder inside, and it has built-in DigiCipher decoding in the main circuit board.

You will want to add a new feedhorn and LNB to add KU, which in turn is likely to require more careful alignment of your dish, but my 12' mesh dish is giving me beautiful signals on X4.

I would like to learn more about adding an FTA receiver; how to connect it, recomended signal splitters, etc. I run my 922 with a TIVO box (programming both the 922 and the TIVO works fine), so I guess I would need some additional video switching to insert the FTA receiver and record from it. The TIVO doesn't have an extra input source selection.

rover54 said:
lol - I think the VC module is bigger than a CoolSat / Pansat!

4DTV won't see what the DVB receivers will. It's a whole different animal. Many people slave a DVB receiver to their 4DTV so that they can see it all.

adding FTA to an exsisting 4dtv is simple

trscott said:
I would recomend the DSR922. They are available from several sources quite a bit cheaper than they used to be (see NPS site for instance). They should be coming down in price on the ebay used aftermarket. The DSR922 supports analog C and Ku as well as 4DTV digital on these bands. You can put your VCxx decoder inside, and it has built-in DigiCipher decoding in the main circuit board.

You will want to add a new feedhorn and LNB to add KU, which in turn is likely to require more careful alignment of your dish, but my 12' mesh dish is giving me beautiful signals on X4.

I would like to learn more about adding an FTA receiver; how to connect it, recomended signal splitters, etc. I run my 922 with a TIVO box (programming both the 922 and the TIVO works fine), so I guess I would need some additional video switching to insert the FTA receiver and record from it. The TIVO doesn't have an extra input source selection.

I think most of the FTA stuff is on KU band so your BUD should have a C and KU band LNB.
Then you just add High Freq splitters to "siphon" off the KU signal and go to www.lyngstat.com to cross reference the satellite names (FTA are different named birds but many are in the same position in the sky as the 4dtv ones).

The only fly in the ointment is that I have to move the dish using the 4dtv and then switch odd or even channel to use FTA with ...then wswitch on the FTA. It is still very neat, and I have the stuff to put up a dedicated FTA dish this spring.

If you don't already have a KU capable feedhorn, you might want to consider a separate motorized dish for KU. Then you could control the motor with a Coolsat or Pansat for KU fta, and use the high-freq splitter Jeff mentioned for cband fta. Incidentally, most of the HD FTA stuff is on cband, and there's also a lot of wildfeeds.

Mike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts