Copps: FCC Mulling DTV Test Markets

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I agree - there should be a test run, preferably in 3 markets. One small, one medium, and one large. Also, let's pick markets that give us a variety of high, medium, and low numbers of OTA (antenna) television viewers.

The obvious answer (to me, anyway) is to not shutdown the analog transmitters on the cutoff date. Instead, put a "whoops, you don't have a digital TV" loop on every analog channel for a month or two beginning on the cutoff date. This could be the equivalent of an infomercial explaining that you need either a tv with integrated or separate ATSC tuner, cable or satellite box to continue to view that channel. Once the dust has settled, and all the torch- and pitchfork-wielding villagers are calmed, the analog transmitters can be shut down.

This would obviously not apply to a station that is planning to just "flip the switch" because they don't have a separate frequency for their digital station. But my understanding is that a large number are already broadcasting both analog and digital at this point.

I've yet to see a low cost converter in a store, they have some coupon complaint models online for around $80 but locally I've only seen the Samsung HD box.

they shopuld just drop the cutoff date, it was all a budget number anyway, much less disruptive to let it continue for say 10 years...

with our other budget busters like iraq war the income from reselling the spectrum is like peeing in the ocean making you worry it was raise ocean levels......

Also, there isn't much of a benefit for analog SDTV viewers to go digital. Yes, they'll get "DVD quality" widescreen versions of their existing channels, but only in a few areas will viewers get much in the way of multicasting.

The UK's Freeview system offers a lot more (although, granted, many channels are part time - but you can get an OTA DVR to record them for convenience).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts