Copy contents of one EHD to another

You can do all that, or just use Ghost. Ghost has worked twice for me without any issues.

Sorry to the OP for asking a similar question in this thread, but your question got me thinking. Can I copy the recordings from a 211k's EHD to a 722k's EHD? I know I cant plug in the 211k drive to the 722k and have the recordings show up, but wondering if I can use this method to save my EHD recordings from my 211k that I no longer am using.

Copy contents of one EHD to another.

To StevenD,
I downloaded a 30 day trial of Ghost and installed it. After trying to set up Ghost to copy everything from the 750Mb drive to the 1Tb drive I realized my PC does not see the 2 drives plugged in via USB, not being very Techie I am guessing they are not recognized because they are Ubuntu and my desktop is Windows XP.
Am I correct or is there something else going on?

To StevenD,
I downloaded a 30 day trial of Ghost and installed it. After trying to set up Ghost to copy everything from the 750Mb drive to the 1Tb drive I realized my PC does not see the 2 drives plugged in via USB, not being very Techie I am guessing they are not recognized because they are Ubuntu and my desktop is Windows XP.

Ghost should absolutely see them, no matter the OS or file system. I havent done it with USB. I have a spare computer that i leave lying around and I plugged both drives into SATA ports on the motherboard and booted from a Ghost CD.

To StevenD,
I am guessing they are not recognized because they are Ubuntu and my desktop is Windows XP.

That's correct. Computer must have Ubuntu.

You can use an Ubuntu Live CD (no changes to your hard drive and no need to install Ubuntu on your machine) to run a program called PartImage. This will do the kinds of copying you need from one location to another.

There are some instructions here .

I've been running Ubuntu as my only operating system since 2005 so I haven't really gone through those instructions step by step myself, but they look pretty good to me. Don't be afraid to give this a try. The Live CD won't install anything on your computer unless you TELL it to install, and making a COPY of your EHD won't destroy the original contents of the EHD.

You WILL need to be able to write the image somewhere, so you should have a lot of spare room on your hard drive or another hard drive to hold the image(s).

To cparker:
Thanks for the info, I tried the Ubuntu Live CD yesterday to no avail, however, I blame my weakened brain for the failure. I'll try it again in a couple days using your instructions.
Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)