Cord Cutters

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Aw, come on....hasn't this gone to MICRO-defining a cord cutter?

I live at my business which has to have 'net. IT pays for the connection. I DO have netflix, and I pay for a guide at $5 a month for my TabloTV box. I do NOT however pay for any personal subs to "cable" or "satellite" video services. If it doesn't come in via the web or FTA/OTA, I can wait til it does.
$13/mo for an OTA guide on the TabloTV box and netflix vs. the minimal fee for any reasonable "entertainment package provided by cable or satellite sure seems like I made SOME cut and am eligible to be in the club of "cord cutters."

Seems to me that ANY decision to not subscribe to the (former, older, traditional) video services served up by a traditional 'cord" is a decision to be a "cutter."
And, NO technology with a reasonable quality integrated guide will come to you without a fee (even my $5 "less than Tivo") so....are you a "cutter" if you pay for an OTA guide? Gee, hmm.....the thread here would say, "no"....because it's a subscription. I'd say, "yes"....

You see? Too much thought for a simple definition. I Agree with those posting that a move to 'net is still "cutting."
My 2cents worth. Or, is that my $13 worth and time to "cut" back to other threads...hmmm...

With a cable modem you are still giving money to a cable company, so that make sense IMO. I have DSL for the specific reason that I'm not dealing with a cable TV company.

they would probably still argue with you since Uverse provides television via that medium....

and a phone cord is still a "cord" you may be using to watch television.....

was dumb enough to get stuck in a few of those exchanges.... LOL

You can put whatever name on it you want, but consumers have more choices now and the days of paying $100 a month for a few TV channels are over. Buh bye.....

Reactions: barleyguy
And, NO technology with a reasonable quality integrated guide will come to you without a fee (even my $5 "less than Tivo") so....are you a "cutter" if you pay for an OTA guide? Gee, hmm.....the thread here would say, "no"....because it's a subscription. I'd say, "yes"....

What if you have Tivo Lifetime? ;)

You can put whatever name on it you want, but consumers have more choices now and the days of paying $100 a month for a few TV channels are over. Buh bye.....
depends on location
My location the options for TV are satellite or OTA
internet is either satellite or wireless (cell phone or hot spot)
Streaming is out of the question due to the bandwidth limits.

Of course it does. In some remote parts of the country there is nothing but satellite. No surprise there. My point was to be taken in general terms for the average consumer in America.
I wouldn't call my location "remote". What stinks is when Sprint was the provider, where I am could get DSL. Sure it was only 1.5MB but it was possible
Now that its Centurylink, magically I can't get DSL there.

What if you have Tivo Lifetime? ;)

yep- have 4.

have always preferred owing equipment- even as a dish customer. there were benefits to that, back in the day, but over the years they disappeared on dish.

twc gets $4/mo out of us for the cable cards and $8/mo for the modem. that is considerably less than we paid dish for equipment fees- and we have HD TV on every tv in the house!

maybe they need to stop saying "cord-cutters" and go back to the traditional "pay tv subscribers" terminology. that would make a lot more sense since internet is key.

Reactions: . Raine and Mr Tony
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)