Correct RG-6 cable for Hopper?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dlharm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 5, 2009
So. Central Nebraska
I have heard and read conflicting reports on the RG-6 cable ratings needed for the hopper system and would appreciate any assistance.
I will be up-grading to the hopper and have purchased a HWS- a Joey and a single node. I also have a 5-2400mgz splitter available.
My question is the cable I currently have from my Dish 1000 to the 722 receiver is: Belden-T High Performance Series 6 DuoBond II 2.25ghz on a run of 75 feet.
Will new cable that is rated 3ghz need to be ran for the hopper? Just would like to know what will need to be done to make the hopper happen.
I will also need to have a tech visit, for installation, correct? Will I need anything else for the set-up?:confused:
Thanks! for any help.

Duane

Yeah, it's supposed to be 3ghz. Some techs will leave it though as it's been known to work fine on RG6 that isn't labeled 3ghz. Basically just because it isn't labeled 3ghz doesn't mean it can't handle it.

That said there are plenty of techs that will insist on running a new line to it.

Yes they require a tech visit to set it up. And they should bring everything needed for the installation.

Yes, the spectrum used to carry signal to the hopper ranges up to 2.85ghz, so 3ghz cable will be needed to the hopper. Some people say it is not, but with how many problems I have seen with it, I always replace it. Usually the hopper will say it is working fine, but the joeys will freeze or not stay linked.

I'm using 20 year old RG6 to one of my Hoppers and my system is rock solid. The Ghz marking is a tested to frequency, not a rated to frequency.

I worried about the same thing. Did a self install of two purchased Hoppers using the six year old RG6 cables and all is working just fine.
One Joey in garage connected with wifi also working great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts