Cost to replace a leased 622 out of warranty?

RobbinM

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
As the one year warranty on my 622 ends, I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting the $5.99 service plan.

What does Dish charge to replace a failed 622 that is leased but out of warranty?

I've had the HD fail to spin up serveral times so I tend to think I'm going to see a failure at some point.

When my 721 drive died they offered to add the Dish Protection Plan then so I could get it replaced for free. They told me it would've been 45$ otherwise for a one time fee.

My 721 was way over 1 year old.. :)

Yeah, you can just add the plan when you need it. And then cancel it again.
You gotta wonder who long they'll allow that though.... I wouldn't be surprised that they turn the DHPP into a 6- or 12-month minimum commitment.

On the other hand, I have REAL issues with paying much of anything to repair or replace someone else's property. I'll give the cable companies credit here, if a set-top fails, you don't even have to call them to "troubleshoot" to get it replaced. Or, if a newer and better box comes out, just take your old one in and say you want to exchange it for "model x". My local TWC was no-questions-asked on this.

I've always thought that leased equipment should be covered from warranty type failures, such as 'randomly stops working' 'drive fails' etc. If some moron spills water on the thing, throws it across the room, then they do get whats coming to them though.

I guess they view it more like car rental where you buy the extra insurance if you want it, otherwise you're responsible (one way or another) for repairing the damage.

In DN's defense, their still a fair deal less expensive here than Time Warner.

Lease a car, and generally you are responsible for maintenance and repair.

Everything I found on this forum, and the "other site," suggests that I have to pay for non-warranty leased 622 repair.

Adding the service agreement only when needed is a good tip.

But getting back to my original question, does anyone know what the repair cost would be without the protection plan?

But getting back to my original question, does anyone know what the repair cost would be without the protection plan?

Why sweat it... Add the service plan at 6 bucks, get the unit fixed, then cancel the service plan.... Total cost.... 6 bucks..

A leased car is generally under warranty for the term of the lease.

I routinely lease vehicles where I work. We can pay for a full maintenance package if we wish. Even then, there are limits on # of tires and certain other items. Body work is generally not covered at all.

I wouldn't count on full coverage on a leased ViP622.

Both leased and purchased 622 have 1 year warranty. After that you either pay for the repairs yourself or use Home Owners Advantage for $5.98/mo. Most add it when needed then opt out again. Never heard of anyone paying for repair of 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)