Cost to switch SD box for HD Box, House has one HD-DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnwadams

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Arkansas
I am trying to help my in-laws who signed up for DirecTV through AT&T last fall. They wanted Uverse but it was not available so AT&T set them up with DirecTV.
They have 1 HD-DVR and 4 SD receivers. This did not make sense to me since 2 of the 4 boxes are hooked to HD tv's. After they were on the phone for 2 hours, DTV finally told them it would cost $186 to swap one SD box for on HD box. Are they just stuck until the contract is up?
Makes me glad I have always been with DISH.

Thanks for any replies.
John

The first issue is they signed up with Directv through AT&T. You usually don't get the best deals this way.

You can try having them call and ask for Retention to see if there's anything that can be done.

The first issue is they signed up with Directv through AT&T. You usually don't get the best deals this way.
actually both AT&T and Centurylink (formerly Qwest and Sprint) just rebill Directv so you get the same deals normally. I am billed through Centurylink and get $5 off per month. nless its billing related I call Directv for any thing else

You can try having them call and ask for Retention to see if there's anything that can be done.

yup I was just gonna suggest that

I have a CenturyLink bundle with DirecTv, but I am billed directly through DirecTv, I just get a $5 credit on my DTV bill each month.
I was a legacy CenturyTel customer, so that might be the difference.

actually both AT&T and Centurylink (formerly Qwest and Sprint) just rebill Directv so you get the same deals normally. I am billed through Centurylink and get $5 off per month. nless its billing related I call Directv for any thing else.
They did contact DirecTV

yup I was just gonna suggest that
They did contact DirecTV and spoke to several people.

you might want to just get a receiver through someone like solidsignal. They have H24's (HD receivers) for $100
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...dy-(H24)&c=DIRECTV Receivers&sku=185463000504

sounds like D* wants to charge you $99 for the HD receiver and $50 to install it +19.99 shipping + tax. If you go through SS you get the receiver, hook it up where the SD receiver is, then call Directv and say you upgraded. They'll set up the HD box and cancel the SD box (and send them a box to ship the SD receiver back)

(the $50 install they charge if the customer is newer...)

Just curious, but is this the way DirecTV normally works with a new customer? As in supplying SD receivers for HD TV's after doing an HD install and setting up one HD-DVR?

Just curious, but is this the way DirecTV normally works with a new customer? As in supplying SD receivers for HD TV's after doing an HD install and setting up one HD-DVR?

I'm researchcing Directtv for a new install. It looks like if I order from their web site I can pick the receivers I want and the price is the same (free) for any of the receivers I pick. So I will have 3 HD televisions with 3 HD directtv receivers (1 Genie and 2 clients) and my cost will be $0.00, as long as I sign a 2 year contract. If I decide to add more receivers at a later date I will have to pay "full price" for any additional receivers and agree to a new 2 year contract. I'm guessing if you get what you want up front the cost is nominal, however if you want to change/upgrade receivers after your initial install you pay the price. Did your inlaws have any input on the initial receiver decision or did they rely on a salesman or installer to pick their original receivers.

I'm researchcing Directtv for a new install. It looks like if I order from their web site I can pick the receivers I want and the price is the same (free) for any of the receivers I pick.
You can get up to three "free" Genie clients but a fourth (or subsequent) will demand a lease entry fee.
So I will have 3 HD televisions with 3 HD directtv receivers (1 Genie and 2 clients) and my cost will be $0.00, as long as I sign a 2 year contract.
It isn't a matter of choice. It is a two year programming commitment or no DIRECTV for you (for new installs of SD or HD equipment).
If I decide to add more receivers at a later date I will have to pay "full price" for any additional receivers and agree to a new 2 year contract.
"Full price" is a misnomer as you're not actually buying anything. The amount you are charged is a lease entry fee that is generally not refundable.
I'm guessing if you get what you want up front the cost is nominal, however if you want to change/upgrade receivers after your initial install you pay the price.
What it costs depends on how long you've been a customer. Virginal customers get awesome deals, subscribers out of commitment sometimes get sweet deals and those under a commitment usually don't get much in the way of breaks. It isn't much different with a competitor or a phone service provider.

It is best to get what you need up front but you need to be careful about getting too many RVU clients as they will happily offer you more than you can effectively use.

it all depends on what the customer ordered. Last fall you should have been able to get 1 HD DVR and up to 3 HD receivers for free

I am trying to help my in-laws who signed up for DirecTV through AT&T last fall. They wanted Uverse but it was not available so AT&T set them up with DirecTV.
They have 1 HD-DVR and 4 SD receivers. This did not make sense to me since 2 of the 4 boxes are hooked to HD tv's. After they were on the phone for 2 hours, DTV finally told them it would cost $186 to swap one SD box for on HD box. Are they just stuck until the contract is up?
Makes me glad I have always been with DISH.

Thanks for any replies.
John

Both dish and direct do not waiver much when someone is under contract. why should they?
once out of contract you can do more negotiating to stay.
when they signed up did they specify the equipment?
did they ask the installer when he go there what was being installed?
its up to the customer to make sure they get everything they want before signing anything.
you can always refuse an install if they dont have the equipment you ordered with them

they provide what the people ask for.

I doubt my in-laws have a clue as to what they ordered, especially now. They tend to jump into things first and ask questions later.
This may teach them a lesson.

Due diligence is a process that needs to be engaged in before the sale, not months after.

As Iceberg pointed out, DIRECTV has no idea what TV configurations a prospective customer has outside of what they tell them. That the upgrade process isn't entirely clear is unfortunate but it has been pretty consistent over the years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts