Could A Dish Go Bad And Cause Bad PQ

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Robel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
The picture quality on my 60" HD rear projection big screen is terrible.

I upgraded to the H-20 a couple of months ago so the receiver is new. I don't think it is the tv itself because DVD's look great played on it.

Could it be the LNB's on dish itself have gone bad?

A dish or LNB will not affect your PQ. What will are:

A) D* overcompressing channels (my sci fi pq is bad)
B) Bad Jumper cables/splitters between the Reciever and Display
C) wrong format on TV OR on Reciever

By this I mean, 'zooming' the picture in to get rid of the black and or grey bars on the top/bottom or sides. Most HDTVs (and even my 20th century 36" sony wega) allow you to zoom the picture in. I don't know about D*, but E* HD remotes will allow you to change the picture format. I have had service calls where folks had complained of a bad PQ, and it was caused by them using the E* format buttons and the Display's zoom in/format buttons, which combine to make an uber crappy picture.

A jumper cable or splitter is not going to be between the H20 and the TV because it does not have a TV coax out.

How do you have the receiver hooked up?

If you are not watching the handful of HDTV channels, then PQ is not that great and HDTV big screens just make it look worse -IMHO.

PPV and premiums should look better than average.

Are there any local retailers with DirecTV on display - hooked up to a HDTV? How does your picture compare?

Do you have the H20 set to 720p output and your set has to scale it to 1080i or something like that?

My receiver is set at 1080i and I'm using monster component cables. Some stations, maybe a handful come ok but at least 90% of them come in like crap.

Some are so fuzzy and blurry, I can't stand to watch them.

GeorgeLV said:
Robel, let me guess, did you get the 60" HDTV at the same time as the H20?

No, I've had the tv for two and a half years and the receiver for two months. I had a Samsung t160 HD receiver before the current H20.

see thats a problem then ..but you knew that....if you had the SD channels in 'fine' with the old receiver, they should be at least the same as the new receiver.

with my setup, SD at 1080 definitely is better than 480 so that's what i keep it at.

did you check your signals? if they are all ok, then i dont think it can be the dish or lnbs.

I simply don't believe that D* SD on a 60" TV can be "fine" regardless of which receiver you are using. D* picture is way too compressed and washed, looking very close to a bad VHS tape. Get close to a 60" or higher TV and even HBO-HD will lookgrainny with a lot of artifacts. I have standard cable for free on my building and the analog SD picture is better than the "digital" D* for the same channel on the same TV (Mitsubishi 73927). I am missing Dish but unfortunately I can't see SE to install a dish pointed to 61.5 to get some of the HD from Dishnet. I live in Miami and the Dish1000 doesn't work here either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.