Could a Joey act as a standalone receiver?

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I understand how why the hopper has the 3 tuners (with the solo node), and why the dual hopper system uses the duo node for the 6 tuners. What prevents a joey from working independenlty from the hopper if connected through a duo node? It has been said the joey has a sat tuner which I presume comes through the hopper, but could it come from duo node directly?

It would go a long way towards satisfying me as to why I have to pay $7 for each joey. Even if it doesn't have a DVR it solves a shortage of tuner problem for the 1 hopper / 3 joey system dish likes to advertise.

As I understand the D* boxes work that way. I know they utilize the SWM technology, but can see the duo node (or some similar device) working the same way.

Miner

the joey is just a slave that access the tuners on the hopper
without a hopper its a paper weight

The Joey does not have a satellite tuner in it so the answer would be no.

Then I was mistaken. My follow on would then ask could there be a joey+ w/ that capability? My big beef with hopper and joey is the cost vs reward. If joey is purely a thin client, I want to be able to use my computer to watch shows as well. And not with my sling adapter.

Miner

But then I lose the whole house DVR integration. Perhaps I'm wanting my cake and be able to eat it too. Or perhaps a 2 hopper / 0 or 1 joey setup, once they are integrated.

Miner

That's the answer as the mirror fee is only $7. for another Hopper plus whatever the upgrade fee would be.I know if I wanted a Hopper it would have to be 2 Hoppers for sure then add your Joeys.

At this point I'll stick w/ my 722 and look for a cheap 211.
As I say, an improved Joey adding a 4th tuner for independent viewing would be nice.

But you would likely lose the ability to record from that tuner, and be essentially the same as D*. There is no real advantage in a "Joey+." If there was a Joey+ they would likely charge an additional up front fee, and even if it was $49 vs $99, it's a no-brainer at that point to go with a second Hopper.

But you would likely lose the ability to record from that tuner, and be essentially the same as D*. There is no real advantage in a "Joey+." If there was a Joey+ they would likely charge an additional up front fee, and even if it was $49 vs $99, it's a no-brainer at that point to go with a second Hopper.

I thought a second hopper is more like $199. I agree with you a joey+ would have to be free or very low price. I look at the currently 'free' joey that costs me $7 a month that if I'm recording 2 shows and the wife watching a 3rd show and I can't watch what I want as a bit of a letdown.

Which defeats the whole purpose of Hopper/Joey. Centralized (rather than decentralized) model.

Does a second hopper defeat it as well?

I thought a second hopper is more like $199. I agree with you a joey+ would have to be free or very low price. I look at the currently 'free' joey that costs me $7 a month that if I'm recording 2 shows and the wife watching a 3rd show and I can't watch what I want as a bit of a letdown.
I thought we were talking upgrades. Most common price for upgrades is $100. Second Hopper for new business is $199 currently. I don't see them doing Joey+ and not charging for it, and once you charge for it, a second Hopper is the better choice even at $199.

A Joey+ would make a lot of folks unhappy as well, they have an extra tuner, until they want to record what they are watching, then it is useless.

Does a second hopper defeat it as well?
To a point. Certainly for now. We need to see where the first round of integration puts us. Redundancy is the biggest asset to dual Hoppers. You'd get redundancy to a point with a Joey+, but TV without DVR and full trick play is almost unwatchable to me now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)