Could Dish create a non-premium movie package?

Yespage

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Ohio
Here's something that would be nice. TCM, AMC, Fox Movie Channel, Hallmark Movie Channel (not that I'd watch that, but it follows the theme), in other words all the non-premium movie channels, available in a stand alone package that $5 to $7 a month.

This is more of a wish list thing than something that I expect to happen.

For $5 a month, you could get Encore Movies a la carte. This includes the SD channels of Encore Action, Encore Drama, Encore Love, Encore Mystery, Encore West, Encore Westerns, and MoviePlex. However, Encore East (HD or/and SD) and Encore WAM are not included. This would be channels 341-346 and channel 377.

Although some will most likely disagree with me, I think it would be interesting if Dish tried adding some SD versions of channels that are in Dish Platinum that are HD only right now that have an SD simulcast available. I think it would be nice if they added the SD versions of IndiePlex and RetroPlex to Dish Platinum and Encore Movies a la carte. If not, the HD versions of them would be nice of IndiePlex and RetroPlex, but then, at the same time, I do not want an increase again either. So, I suppose leaving things the way they are may be good if it means prices staying where they are. However, there are only a few others that are not HD only. I really do not know if it would be a good idea to make the HD only channels in SD like they did that one time when Palladia took the place of Fuse. However, SD subs may also disagree in other to see the content while paying $10/month.

I do not get why Hallmark Movie Channel is in such a high tier.

Last edited:
I completely disagree with this. I like those Channels & do NOT want to have to pay even more for them. My bill already an extra $5 this month, another $5-7 to get those channels would NOT be nice at all.

I do agree with no more increases. However, they probably could add a channel like Hallmark Movie Channel to America's Top 250 and the Platinum package. Maybe they would even get more subs to the Platinum package that way...who knows? DirecTV has Hallmark Movie Channel in their HD Extra package for $4.99/mo. with a few other channels.

I completely disagree with this. I like those Channels & do NOT want to have to pay even more for them. My bill already an extra $5 this month, another $5-7 to get those channels would NOT be nice at all.
That's not what he is saying. Take the Encore pack for instance. It is part of America's Top 250. But if you only want Top120, you can pay $5 and get that Encore package. Not only am I not paying once cent more, I might actually be getting it as part of the package because it is being partly subsidized by those who pay the $5......
Same for what the OP is saying. If you just want Top120, or Welcome pack, etc... which may not include TCM, or AMC etc.. he is asking could Dish bundle those channels just like Encore for $5 to $7 or so....... It has nothing to do with you paying more for them, in fact, it could mean you pay less to get them, as you now get a lower package.

I think the OP has a great idea if it is possible. The question is, would Dish think they might lose too much money by people not opting for the higher packages to get them.....Because there are other things you lose by not going to a higher package, not just those channels, it might work.

Last edited:
Here's something that would be nice. TCM, AMC, Fox Movie Channel, Hallmark Movie Channel (not that I'd watch that, but it follows the theme), in other words all the non-premium movie channels, available in a stand alone package that $5 to $7 a month.

This is more of a wish list thing than something that I expect to happen.

I think you are mis-interpreting what Yespage is asking for. He would like a stand alone movie package, something you can get without subscribing to any other programming. Those of us with existing packages would see not a difference in programming or cost.

HD Platinum?.;):D

Maybe we are not getting what the OP is saying after I read it again. The OP is saying non-premium movie channels.
However, at that price, the OP want to consider Encore Movies a la carte for $5/month if the OP is not in America's Top 250 (which is my guess from what I have read).

Platinum for $10/month [22 channels] may not be a bad idea either if the OP has HD. FMI, HD Platinum - Dish Network

I think it is also safe to say that the OP is making the assumption that the base package prices would drop, which they wouldn't. Just more money in the long run. Not to mention the channels themselves would not likely play ball because of potentially less penetration.

I think it is also safe to say that the OP is making the assumption that the base package prices would drop, which they wouldn't. Just more money in the long run. Not to mention the channels themselves would not likely play ball because of potentially less penetration.

Your premise I would agree with, package price would not drop. But unless the OP comes back and tells us, I believe he did not have that in mind. Rather that you could subscribe to a lower package that did not have those non premium movies channels, then just pay something like $5 to $7 to add them.

The intent was that people could subscribe to a lower tier, and then bundle additional channels. There is the sports pack, then there could be a non-premium movie pack, and of course the premiums. The idea wasn't to decrease the price of base packages, but rather give the customer a little more control over the channels they are subscribing to.

The intent was that people could subscribe to a lower tier, and then bundle additional channels. There is the sports pack, then there could be a non-premium movie pack, and of course the premiums. The idea wasn't to decrease the price of base packages, but rather give the customer a little more control over the channels they are subscribing to.

I thought that was where you were going with it, and the more I think about it the more it makes sense.

With Dish Latino Dos ($44.99/mo.), we get AMC HD and IFC (although in SD along with commercials now :( ).
Dish Latino Max ($57.99/mo.) subs get Fox Movie Channel, The Movie Channel West, and The Movie Channel Xtra West.
From the information that I know, Turner Classic Movies and Hallmark Movie Channel are not in the Dish Latino packages.
However, Dish Latino and America's Top packages do vary a lot. Therefore, one has to really compare the packages and the channels that he or she wants.

If you do not have HD or do not care about HD, AMC is also in Dish Latino Plus for $37.99/mo. I am not sure if this package gets any of the other channels you listed. My guess would be no, but the channel lists can sometimes be messed up.

Do not quote me on this (LOL), but I believe that some members have said that AMC is included in The Welcome Pack. I am not sure if this is the English Welcome Pack or/and the Spanish Welcome Pack. Maybe someone with knowledge on The Welcome Packs can help us out. I am also not sure if there are any requirements of any sort to sub to the Welcome Pack.

Such a packaged would erode the value of the current, standard, packages in which they are included. Those non-premium movie channels are sometimes the ONLY reason some people would trade-up. Also, the owners of those channels do not want to be ala carte or in a very small package as they would lose a lot of money by no longer getting paid per subscriber to the far more popular packages in which they are currently available.

Keep in mind that EVERY channel really wants to be included in the least expensive, lowest priced, bottom tier package for that has the greatest number of potential viewers for they would get a payment on almost 100% of the subscribers and the highest potential ratings meaning they can charge more for the advertising.

Also, the owners of those channels do not want to be ala carte or in a very small package as they would lose a lot of money by no longer getting paid per subscriber to the far more popular packages in which they are currently available.
You are probably right but this drives me CRAZY! Why in *&^% are advertisers so stupid that they mindlessly keep paying for maximum potential eyeballs rather than actual eyeballs? If I were paying the bill, I would demand to pay only for actual/confirmed eyeballs. If the channel owners can't give me a valid number, then I would go to somebody who could.

I wish they could let us save $5.00 on our top programming packs and let us opt out of our regional sports packs like they do on the top 120 vs the top 120 plus pack. I would love to save $5.00 on something I don't watch anyway. I want more programming that is available like in top 200 pack ,but I could care less about sports. If they can do it on the top 120 ,why not top 200 and top 250?

I wish they could let us save $5.00 on our top programming packs and let us opt out of our regional sports packs like they do on the top 120 vs the top 120 plus pack. I would love to save $5.00 on something I don't watch anyway. I want more programming that is available like in top 200 pack ,but I could care less about sports. If they can do it on the top 120 ,why not top 200 and top 250?

We decided to drop from America's Top 250 to Dish Latino Dos because of all the increases over the past two years. We were paying $7 for receivers due to the phone line credits; then, it went up $7 to $14. Then, America's Top 250 got that $2 increase; then, it just got that $5 increase. Just counting this is $14 in increases. I miss those phone line credits.

We decided to drop from America's Top 250 to Dish Latino Dos because of all the increases over the past two years. We were paying $7 for receivers due to the phone line credits; then, it went up $7 to $14. Then, America's Top 250 got that $2 increase; then, it just got that $5 increase. Just counting this is $14 in increases. I miss those phone line credits.

Yes the phone credits were nice , but alas no more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)