Could Dish Network Continue Voom's Programming?

dufoenet

Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
I just got the usual call from the a**holes at Satellite County with their automated message informing me that Dish Network has not only bought their satellite but has aquired their programming and if I want to continue receiving my Voom HD Channels I have one week to avoid service interruption.

I read in this forum about how others were receiving this call and the first thought that entered my head was to file complaints with the Do Not Call Registry and the Texas Attorney General. I was especially irritated by this call because for some reason their automated system was malfunctioning and I have been called consistantly for two days. Everytime I would answer I would get no reply and the recording would not play. It finally played today which was the second day of receiving their calls.

Just to check out the facts before I filed against them I decided to call Dish Network. Believe me, I sincerely hoped this was not true because I have had a nightmarish experience with Dish Network which I have posted in the Dish Network forum to be found here. However I would have considered going back to Dish ONLY for the purpose of keeping the Voom 21. It would not have been the first time I've had to sleep with the devil and getting back in bed with Dish would be better than not having the Voom 21 channels at all.

When I called Dish, I got the usual numbskull operator who stated she didn't know what Voom was and attempted to try and sign me up for Dish anyway. I demanded to talk to a manager after I called back because this bimbo refused to let me talk to a manager stating that she knew she could solve my problem for me. I finally got a manager and he told me that as of right now all they've been told is that Dish Network is TRYING to buy the Voom Satellite but it is pending FCC approval (We knew this.). When asked if they were just trying to buy the satellite or if they were trying to continue on with the Voom 21 programming, he said they were buying the satellite FOR the programming and would be wanting to continue on with the Voom HD Channels and the service, but both deals are pending FCC approval and that's all they know.

I am very aware that others have reported that Charlie of the infamous Charlie Chat has stated that he wouldn't even consider it until their MPEG4 compression & compatible receivers are available. This is probably true but I thought I would convey this information because this is the first time anyone has suggested that their might be hope that Dish (if they purchased their line up) may be using the Rainbow One Satellite which means they may continue on using the Voom receiver. This of course would be far better for all 40,000+ customers than to have to switch over to Dish Network equipment. I would only hope that they could continue with the Voom quality that I have enjoyed and not with the Dish Network Service and equipment that I was finally rid of.

I am not stating that I believe a word of what I have heard considering Charlie has said it wouldn't be until the end of the year if he did aquire Voom's programming. I am only relaying what this Dish Network manager told me minutes ago. If Dish Network had any brains, considering the fact that they are buying the satellite, they could very easily increase their numbers by 40,000+ by continuing on the service as we know it, without switching to Dish service and their equipment. It would be Dish in fact but it would be an alternative to their equipment and current program line up. This is why we became Voomers in the first place and it would be great to keep things the way it is and with equipment we now have that unlike some of the Dish Network receivers actually works.

I'm sorry, but E* customer service managers are every bit as clueless as the CSRs. :no

IMO any E* continuance of V* programming is unlikely to involve using V* customer hardware (different encoding between the two). 30K or 40K customers is just not that much for E* to get excited about, they average that many new subscribers every 10 days.

NightRyder

I received a call today (right after getting E* installed, by the way) from the guy who originally installed my Voom. He was very polite and said he remembered doing the Voom installation and was authorized to offer some "great deals" from D* for ex-Voomers. Anyway, he gave me his cell phone number and I haven't called back yet. Just wanted post and say that I didn't find his call offensive or unwanted. Heck, if he would have called a week ago I might have taken him up on his offer. He was a good installer, and I remember chatting with him about the future of Voom when he originally installed me.

NightRyder said:
I'm sorry, but E* customer service managers are every bit as clueless as the CSRs. :no

Judging from experience, I totally agree with you! No argument there! :no

mdonnelly said:
Sounds like you guys need a drink. See you at the Pub.

I agree, the pub is the place to be. Seems like a lot of folks have been hanging out in the pub drinking, talking and speculating about the future. Yes I believe the pub is the place to be now.

Excude me while I go have a drink. :D

I am very aware that others have reported that Charlie of the infamous Charlie Chat has stated that he wouldn't even consider it until their MPEG4 compression & compatible receivers are available.
Of course this is the same Charlie who said that he had no interest in Discovery HD and that it would not be on Dish anytime soon.... Then Disovery HD launched on Dish Network just a few days later.

Wow Really? Didn't know that about Discovery HD

So the voices you're hearing are saying that the voom channels could appear in may (like right when voom goes dark) and not in 2006 when dish goes MPEG4?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Voices? What voices? :D

To the pub I crawl. :)

You're all driving me crazy! :yikes Quit giving me hope. (glad I signed up for cable with no commitment)

BFG said:
Wow Really? Didn't know that about Discovery HD

So the voices you're hearing are saying that the voom channels could appear in may (like right when voom goes dark) and not in 2006 when dish goes MPEG4?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Voices? What voices?

To the pub I crawl.

Scotty, i will kiss your feet and give you my first born if this becomes true!!!!

Hell, he can have both my kids and the wife....That leaves me with HD and quiet!;lol

If E* does continue Voom's programming does this mean that we need to have service purchased through E* to avoid the screen going dark? Maybe we should be taking these marketing phone calls seriously and have ourselves signed up with E* so that we can continue with more than the handful of HD channels provided by D* and cable. :confused:

Come on . . . . someone please give us some strategery to avoid HD withdrawal. :)

mkottman said:
If E* does continue Voom's programming does this mean that we need to have service purchased through E* to avoid the screen going dark? Maybe we should be taking these marketing phone calls seriously and have ourselves signed up with E* so that we can continue with more than the handful of HD channels provided by D* and cable. :confused:
1) DO NOT take the marketing call seriously. Treat them like the scum of the earth and you won't be far off. Even if you decide to go with E* or D* those spam marketers DO NOT deserve your business (unless it is your local, reputable dealer that you knew before the call).

2) Logistically - unless some company has really been sandbagging - don't expect magic on Sunday morning at 3:01 am EDT. Wherever whatever happens the screen will go "dark" at that magic moment.

(Although complete shutdown plans have still not been announced. If I were in control "dark" would be a slate telling people to turn off their recievers and await further instructions for return or buyback. Or whatever other option might be available.)

JL

My insider (face to face contact) tells me that VOOM programming appears to be happening for E*.
How about it (or some of it) being offered almost immediately for those who have 61.5 dishes (you know, those getting CBS-HD and extra other programming)?
Then, being offered on the main bird when MPEG-4 four rolls out.

Would that satisfy yall?

But, can't really tell if this is exactly what's happening. We'll have to see.

justalurker said:
1) DO NOT take the marketing call seriously. Treat them like the scum of the earth and you won't be far off. Even if you decide to go with E* or D* those spam marketers DO NOT deserve your business (unless it is your local, reputable dealer that you knew before the call).

JL

I could not agree more, don't support some unknown Company who is out for the quick buck. Keep your money locally or purchase through the sponsors of this Forum. Any authenic deal through E* or D* will be available through your local dealer. When it's time for service, your local dealer will take care of you a hell of a lot better than those idiots in Texas at the so called Voom Conversion Center who will be out of business in 3 months or less. Support your Community. :D

I am taking a wait and see attitude - see what happens in May.
If I don't have TV for a couple of days, that is no a problem.

roland

ptech said:
I could not agree more, don't support some unknown Company who is out for the quick buck. Keep your money locally or purchase through the sponsors of this Forum. Any authenic deal through E* or D* will be available through your local dealer. When it's time for service, your local dealer will take care of you a hell of a lot better than those idiots in Texas at the so called Voom Conversion Center who will be out of business in 3 months or less. Support your Community. :D

I wish I could deal with the local retailer for E*, but I tried that yesterday and what a nightmare! He was livid when I said I had VOOM and started trashing it, ranting and raving--almost possessed with the Devil (Dish). He said you WILL have to sign a one-year committment and that's it! I said I had called E* direct and they did have leasing agreements where I would not have to sign a one-year contract. He said "Not here" and you will NEVER get your locals in HD--no way!"
Well, by this time, I was scared to death of him and of Dishnetwork. He's not a happy camper--why would he be having to sell crap?

So, I will NOT be seeing my local retailer anymore ever--a horrible experience. I was watching the demo of the SD/HD on a Toshiba 46" DLP Projector and the HD was NOTHING like VOOM and SD much worse, also.

I have yet to see a comparable demo of DIrect-TV--can't find one in my part of the state at all!!! I can't subscribe to something I have never seen and it requires a 1 year contract! Best Buy did not have their Samsung HD receiver set to see the SD channels in their normal 4:3 format, so both the HD and the SD were almost as bad as E*.

If this is the quality of HD that the VOOM 21 wil have to come to us via, then I wonder how we will tolerate the PQ--over and above the new quantity of HD, rather than the quality???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)