Could equipment be damaged? Cant get Dish500 going!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Chippy

Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Hi All,
I used this site for reference plenty of times, but this one I need to post. I'm lost here.
I have a PVR508 with latest 4.07 firmware. A dish500 dish with DP Twin Lnb.

I cannot for the life of me get both 110 & 119 at the same time. If I lock on to 119, I cant adjust the skew to get 110.
But if I turn the dish a few degrees to the left, 110 gets hit. So if I point to them individually, its fine, though I cant for the life of me get both going.
There's not even an option on the receiver for dish500. If I hit the dish button on the remote it comes up with a screen saying "to use this, you will need to upgrade to a dish500 dish".
Which is what I have!! Am I missing something here?
My zip 10004.
I'm using elevation of 27
and I tried rotating the dish to 127 for the skew, but nothing.

Can something be wrong with the equipment or am I not seeing something correctly?

Thanks all!

Chip

disconnect the cable from dish, do the normal installation procedure. after that, reconnect the cable and do the normal installation again.

Make sure your mast is perfectly plumb. Set your skew to 127, and tighten. There is no need to fine tune the skew setting. Set your elevation to 27. Use a compass to find 245 and roughly aim dish there. Using a meter (or the signal meter in the receiver), slowly move antenna until you get a signal. If have a plumb mast, and correct elevation, if you have 110, you will also have 119. Fine tune the antenna for each orbital location, and lock down.

Thanks for your replies.

Fanquon. Not sure what you mean by normal installation procedure? I didn't know there was a procedure. I just simply connected everything and powered up.

Al, I triple check to make sure the mast is perfectly straight again. I wont be back to the dish until Thursday so Ill reply then with my findings.

Thanks all!

Forgot to mention, does anyone know why it would say that I would need to upgrade to a dish 500 dish when I press on the dish button on the remote?

I kind of think the receiver is not thinking there is a dish 500. I remember installing a dish 500 a few years back and do recall an option for selecting it.

Why are you pushing the dish button on the remote? That has NOTHING to do with installation. Get the install completed then we can go to the dish button. But to answer your question as to WHY it says it. Is becasue the receiver is only detecting 1 sat location. ANd to corectly use the interactive screens the unit has to recognize a signal from two birds. There is a test channel that the interactve works through that is NOT present without a successful install.

Thanks Crappie, didnt think of it that way. It will probably work once its setup then wont give me that message anymore. Your not that Crappy of a guy after all!! :)
ootLink, I checked the switch about 5 times already with no luck. After its completed, it shows 119 on the left side and dont recall totally but it shows another colum on the right side with an x, meaning there is no signal.

Ill check for sure on Thursday.

Thanks all

Hi all,
Was able to check my settings on the dish and still having some issues. I set the dish to 27 on the elevation and 127 on the skew.
I still cannot get the 110. I did a check switch and Im getting 119 still though the columns changed on the install summary.
Here is what I see:
Install Device: DP Twin
Input: 1 2
Satellite: CONN 119
Polarity: X ALL
Device: TWIN TWIN

Then I have options for Superdish and to the right is says Alternate.

The input 1&2 have swapped as I had 119 on the other input before I set it to 127 and 27 elev.

Now Im more confused. lol

Thanks for your reply.
I think I'm getting somewhere. I finally got a signal on both satellites now when I was aiming for just 110. 110 has a signal of about 50 and 119 about 20 which is way to low. But, at least I'm hitting them both now.
Not sure if this makes a difference, but does it matter that the dish is installed 14 stories up on a building? May be a dumb question, but I'm getting this signal with the elevation set a little bit above 30 instead of 27.
I'm actually going to bring the tv set with me to try and get a better signal.

Chip

I think the recommended maximum length of cable from dish to receiver is 200 feet for DishPro equipment, if it's longer than that you could have some signal loss.

14 stories is not going to make a noticeable difference in elevation, but those scales are not always accurate either.

TV and receiver at the dish is probably the best way to adjust it.

Pepper,
You read my mind, my next question was regarding cable length. I'm actually on a 200ft cable.
I do have some slack I need to cut out, about 15ft or so. I knew it was going to be a long run, so I installed RG6, Quad shield with solid copper center conductor.

So far Ive been able to get a best signal of about 60 on both satellites. If I change the transponders, the signal drops off and is almost none existent on some of TPs.

I will have to see if I can fine tune it when I have more time.

Oddly, I am able to use this with my pvr508 and get this signal through 200ft of cable.
When I was by the dish and the tv and my dp301 connected, it would not see both satellites and the signal was much less. I had connected to the other port of the LNB. Maybe something wrong with that one.

Thanks all for your help!!

Chip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)