Could someone explain technical benefits of TurboHD's compression characteristics?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FCom911

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2008
I'd like to understand better...

a.) What exactly is TurboHD?

b.) The compression applications utilized, over existing MPEG2 (on the way out for HD) and 4?

c.) Potential bandwidth characteristics and savings, if any?

Please understand, I'm not referring to the bundling of programming, in each category of TurboHD; strictly, the technical aspects...

Thank you!

There are no unique technical aspects setting it apart from Dish HD as it is. It's marketing.

There are no unique technical aspects setting it apart from Dish HD as it is. It's marketing.

I thought I'd read something to the likes of some specific compression standard... they were probably speaking of a specific MPEG4 standard Dish uses.

Thanks

from what i understand - turbo hd is all about the "1080p" format.

you need a receiver that outputs 1080p, and a TV that can display 1080p. supposed to be geared towards "super power watchers".

lets see what happens with it.

from what i understand - turbo hd is all about the "1080p" format.

you need a receiver that outputs 1080p, and a TV that can display 1080p. supposed to be geared towards "super power watchers".

lets see what happens with it.
Gonna need a source for that one. Nothing is broadcast in 1080p.

I'd like to understand better...

a.) What exactly is TurboHD?

b.) The compression applications utilized, over existing MPEG2 (on the way out for HD) and 4?

c.) Potential bandwidth characteristics and savings, if any?

Please understand, I'm not referring to the bundling of programming, in each category of TurboHD; strictly, the technical aspects...

Thank you!

Turbo HD is a new name for Dish hd pack, actualy it's just a changed of name of all dish hd pack and how to subscribe to it , and regarding the MPEG2-MPEG4, all hd channels are now being broadcasted via MPEG4 format only that's why the old legacy hd(MPEG2) is no longer available, for the savings it's just the same as adding a $10 to get all HD chan or getting the normal HD channels (depending on the basic package that you are subscribed w/) bec HD channels also depends on the basic pack and premiums(movie chan) that you have on your subscription:cool:

Gonna need a source for that one. Nothing is broadcast in 1080p.

So? The vast majority of TV and movies are film-based sources. It's quite possible to reverse telecine back to the original frames.

For native video material, you need motion adaptive deinterlacing which is also quite possible.

Cheers,

So? The vast majority of TV and movies are film-based sources. It's quite possible to reverse telecine back to the original frames.

For native video material, you need motion adaptive deinterlacing which is also quite possible.

Cheers,
So? Still not being broadcast 1080p...bandwidth! Off topic now.

To answer one of your questions, MPEG4 compression uses approximately 1/2 the bandwidth that MPEG2 uses, so by converting the final 4-5 MPEG2 HD channels to MPEG4, Dish can make room for 4-5 more HD channels with probably BETTER video quality.

It essentially doubles Dish's bandwidth capacity. Were they to move MPEG2 SD channels to MPEG4, another bandwidth doubling would take place.

Turbo HD is the name of the new marketing campaign for Dish's HD packages coming in August. There is nothing special about it except the higher prices.

Turbo HD is ALSO the name of Dish's coming HD VOD service where you will use the newest as yet unreleased version of the 722 to receive 1080p movie downloads that will maintain the highest video and audio quality with no bandwidth, bitrate, or resolution reductions since the file is being downloaded by IP to your 722, not broadcast. The new 722 will come with added drive space and come with 500GB of 1080p movies already on it and then Dish will delete and add movies on their own schedule that you will be able to view a list of as they show up on your dvr that you can rent to view. At about 25GB for a typical BD quality movie, there will be about 20 movies at a time on your drive that will be held in a separate partition from your own recordings.

So? Still not being broadcast 1080p...bandwidth! Off topic now.

1080/60i == 1080/30p
1080/60i > 1080/24p

It takes no more bandwidth. I haven't even started to discuss the better compression you get from running the inverse telecine and having all progressive frames to compress.

To answer one of your questions, MPEG4 compression uses approximately 1/2 the bandwidth that MPEG2 uses, so by converting the final 4-5 MPEG2 HD channels to MPEG4, Dish can make room for 4-5 more HD channels with probably BETTER video quality.

It essentially doubles Dish's bandwidth capacity. Were they to move MPEG2 SD channels to MPEG4, another bandwidth doubling would take place.

It might be higher -- it really depends on content and the encoders used.

The biggest issue Dish will face is if they have to take MPEG-2 content and recompress on the fly to MPEG-4. This is an inherent limitations as it has to be a real time operation.

Cheers,

It might be higher -- it really depends on content and the encoders used.

The biggest issue Dish will face is if they have to take MPEG-2 content and recompress on the fly to MPEG-4. This is an inherent limitations as it has to be a real time operation.

Cheers,

Not a big issue. DirecTV and DishNetwork are doing it now.

Not a big issue. DirecTV and DishNetwork are doing it now.

It is a limitation to how far they can compress without adding artifacts. If you are doing your encoding offline, you can get significant improvements with less than real time operation. With a real time operation you don't have the luxury of multiple passes to optimize encoding through difficult to encode stretches.

It's a very big issue, and I didn't think I had to explain the difference between real-time and offline encoding.

Turbo HD is a new name for Dish hd pack, actualy it's just a changed of name of all dish hd pack and how to subscribe to it , and regarding the MPEG2-MPEG4, all hd channels are now being broadcasted via MPEG4 format only that's why the old legacy hd(MPEG2) is no longer available, for the savings it's just the same as adding a $10 to get all HD chan or getting the normal HD channels (depending on the basic package that you are subscribed w/) bec HD channels also depends on the basic pack and premiums(movie chan) that you have on your subscription:cool:
The Turbo HD packages are HD only packages and have nothing to do with the AT packages already in place. Turbo HD packages are not add-ons.

J K, I think when people post about 1080p, they're dreaming of 1080 60p.

Nice dream. And we'll all get to dream about it for a long time before any of us see it delivered to the home.

...Turbo HD is ALSO the name of Dish's coming HD VOD service where you will use the newest as yet unreleased version of the 722 to receive 1080p movie downloads that will maintain the highest video and audio quality with no bandwidth, bitrate, or resolution reductions since the file is being downloaded by IP to your 722, not broadcast. The new 722 will come with added drive space and come with 500GB of 1080p movies already on it and then Dish will delete and add movies on their own schedule that you will be able to view a list of as they show up on your dvr that you can rent to view. At about 25GB for a typical BD quality movie, there will be about 20 movies at a time on your drive that will be held in a separate partition from your own recordings.

Link? Source? Pricing? HW upgrade available for existing cust?

J K, I think when people post about 1080p, they're dreaming of 1080 60p.

Nice dream. And we'll all get to dream about it for a long time before any of us see it delivered to the home.

Not if you move to Japan, they are already testing 4K (UHD) to the home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)