Could the 3rd generation Hopper have this???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
As I saw the announcement of the new Hopper with Sling, I could only wonder what the folks at DISH could add for the 3rd generation unit. Sure we want more tuners but its not going to happen... the current turner count works and its easy for people to add more tuners if they want them.

I really couldn't think of anything groundbreaking that could be added to the new Hopper until I saw this... H.265. Its a new video codec that replaces H.264 (MPEG4) and can deliver the same high quality HD signals using half the bandwidth.

http://gizmo.do/YRV7WHV

Of course a cutover to H.265 would probably be YEARS away... look at how long the MPEG4 upgrade took. But its gains would be great for all of us.

Being that MPEG4 is in all Dish receivers, yet, it would be a long time before another standard gets rolled in, IMHO

Sure we want more tuners but its not going to happen... the current turner count works and its easy for people to add more tuners if they want them.

Have to disagree on this statement. Current tuner count doesn't work for me. I suspect it doesn't work for many Dish customers. They need to at least match the Genie's 5 tuners.
H.265 does look very interesting, but agree. Many yrs away.

Have to disagree on this statement. Current tuner count doesn't work for me. I suspect it doesn't work for many Dish customers. They need to at least match the Genie's 5 tuners.
H.265 does look very interesting, but agree. Many yrs away.

DISH not only matched it they beat it,add another Hopper for $7. a month,gives you 6 tuners,add a OTA module to each one,gives you 8 tuners.Then with PTAT it can give you 4 more tuners,for a total of 12 tuners.:)

1)How about creating a dual ota usb tuner? I would like to see the ability to split it into two tuners.

2)How about allowing the hopper to use PSIP data- free in the air - for the sub channels for ota channels that DISH doesn't carry on the satellite? That way DISH can use just the main network channels for guide information up on the satellite and not take up more bandwith for sub channels. The customer gets a full fleshed out guide for ALL ota channels.

3) How about expanding the PTAT to include ALL LOCAL channels in the application? The locals are already on one transponder, why not include CW and PBS and Mynetwork tv too?

4) How about allowing the other two tuners to be used for other PTAT like recording? Say DISH picks the most popular variety channels and puts them on the same transponder like the locals are. THen if you select that pack of channels , you can enable tuner 2 for this pack to be recorded during Primetime . Say you pick the most popular hd channels like AMC, USA, TNT, SYFY, etc and put them on the same transponder and turn on the PTAT feature for that tuner , you have now enabled the hopper to record up to 8 shows on two tuners at the same time. IF you include the other locals in the pack like CW ,PBS, Mynetwork tv , you could increase that by three more or 11 shows on two tuners. Increase the amount of variety channels to three more and you can record up to 14 shows at the same time on two tuners.

You accomplish this and you now have three tuners and a dual ota usb tuner and you could have :

Tuner 1 PTAT for locals : 8 tv shows at a time would be recorded during prime time.
Tuner 2 PTAT for national variety channels: 8 tv shows at a timer recorded during prime time.
Tuner 3 PTAT for other selected national variety channels or news channels or yet to be determined pack of channels: 8 tv shows at a time during prime time.
Dual tuner ota usb tuner: 2 ota channels recorded at a time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Possible 26 shows at a time could be recorded .

Now you do all of that and you wouldn't even need a second hopper or a new hopper with more tuners. Imagine the bragging that DISH could do with this technology?

Unfortunately I don't see any of those happening although they are good ideas.

The last idea above wouldn't work as all your shows would need to be coming off the same transponder for it to work. And as we know the transponder loading changes often.

As far as more tuners goes its not going to happen. If you need more the 3 the get a second hopper and you beat the Genie hands down.

Not only do you get 6 tuners but you also get 4 terabytes of storage (compared to the Genies tiny little 1 Tb drive.))

You get two separate devices which each support 2 pairs of Bluetooth headphones each. (That's 4 pairs total).

The ability to add more external storage to Each Hopper which adds to the 2 Tb of storage on each. On the Genie you can add up to a two TB drive but you lose access to the internal 1 tb drive when you hook up an external drive.

The Hopper with Sling let's you transfer shows to your iPad to do this with a Genie you need to purchase an external Nomad device.

About the only thing the Genie does better then the Hopper in my opinion is the Directv vod system blows the Hopper away! Finding vod content you want to watch on a directv DVR is a pleasure, while finding what you want to watch from vod on the hopper is next to impossible. Vod on DISH sucks, there is no other way for me to describe it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Most of us in that situation are getting 2 or 3 hoppers and end up being very satisfied.

My local cable company's dvr can do 6 shows at a time all in hd. It's 25.00 fee for the hd dvr and boxes for other rooms. I'd like to see more tuners as well. I'd like to see a better system as far as keeping the unit cooler. I think having it run cooler will make it run better.

Unfortunately I don't see any of those happening although they are good ideas.

The last idea above wouldn't work as all your shows would need to be coming off the same transponder for it to work. And as we know the transponder loading changes often.

As far as more tuners goes its not going to happen. If you need more the 3 the get a second hopper and you beat the Genie hands down.

Not only do you get 6 tuners but you also get 4 terabytes of storage (compared to the Genies tiny little 1 Tb drive.))

You get two separate devices which each support 2 pairs of Bluetooth headphones each. (That's 4 pairs total).

The ability to add more external storage to Each Hopper which adds to the 2 Tb of storage on each. On the Genie you can add up to a two TB drive but you lose access to the internal 1 tb drive when you hook up an external drive.

The Hopper with Sling let's you transfer shows to your iPad to do this with a Genie you need to purchase an external Nomad device.

About the only thing the Genie does better then the Hopper in my opinion is the Directv vod system blows the Hopper away! Finding vod content you want to watch on a directv DVR is a pleasure, while finding what you want to watch from vod on the hopper is next to impossible. Vod on DISH sucks, there is no other way for me to describe it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Scott, I think the vod set up is pretty good, much better then the set up with the 722 and 612 set up.

While I never want technology to slow down, since Hopper and Hopper with sling are about a year apart I would think that the next Hopper would have to have something "big" to want to change on a yearly basis, but look at the Apple model for most that works :)

So does this .265 get assigned an MPEG name? How does that relationship work?

I suppose if anyone has the heart, they could start the process to revise OTA ATSC to include both .264 & .265. Start selling sets in 5 years, mandatory in ten. I just don't see it happening, unless the gov decides they can force it thru and cut OTA bandwidth again. I just don't see OTA getting much in the way of any more investment.

But this might be great for satcos and cablecos and even Blu-ray.

I don't know if the Hopper will be an issue with me or not. Will find out when I get her installed in a couple of weeks. I am use to recording four channels at the same time on the 722k. It is really helpful during the car racing season on Sundays. Sometimes the races will go in to Prime time. I would be much happier if the Hopper had a total of four tuners, one for Prime time and three for me. Does the OTA tuner give you another channel to record? That would be a help if it does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)