Could the "letters" = more HD bandwidth?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Umbra_Vipera

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
Missouri
With the recent reception of the "letters" by some subscribers, is it possible that D* could free up bandwidth for lil HD or more national HD content on their existing fleet?

While I know that many subscribers are miffed (understandable) could this actually be a good thing? With the delays of the SpaceWay sats, could they use this extra bandwidth to help keep things "on schedule" (if one truly exists).

For the technical people: Is this possible?

For the those that got the "letters": Would you be less miffed if you knew you were getting your lil HD or more national HD content?

Just curious. :)

The only way to create bandwidth is to drop those channels from the satellite, not just from one or two timezones.

mdonnelly said:
The only way to create bandwidth is to drop those channels from the satellite, not just from one or two timezones.

Exactly, they will still be transmitting the channels. D* is just complying with the law.

If you've know of site or thread that explains this, please point me in the right direction. I obviously don't know the technical stuff behind the CONUS beams, but I thought that there were multiple beams from multiple sats. Like one beam for the east coast and one for the west coast originating on different sats. If that were the case, each sat wouldn't have to carry the signal anymore freeing up bandwidth for other uses.

Again...educate me... :D

P.S. I know that D* is following FCC regs, I was just wondering if there could be an upside to it.

You are thinking of “spotbeams” where they can reuse the transponder in different areas of the country for locals. As an example, have one spotbeam in the FL area, one in the NY area, one in MN, and one in California. You have effectively used one transponder, but have it in 4 areas.

CONUS is Continental US. Spotbeams are only good for say 300 miles. I know with Dish the same spotbeam that covers Omaha, NE also has Cedar Radpids & Des Moines, IA, Sioux Falls SD, Minneapolis MN & Duluth MN

But to use the spotbeam theory wouldn’t work because it would need to go some 1500 miles :D

I thought the law said you couldn't receive the broadcast before it was sent to your timezone, so why does the east coast people loose there feed of the west since it's already been sent to us.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts