Could this combination of old equipment work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sammy-bos

Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Boston, USA
Mainly these 2 things
  • 18 in dish with Dual Output LNB
  • Hughes SD-HBH receiver (I'll be using 2)
If not, is there a way to at least make them work?

Assuming you're actually going to be using these in your (Boston) area, they should work if you are adding them onto an existing account; however, D* will not usually activate old (non-leased) equipment as the primary receiver on a new account...

Assuming you're actually going to be using these in your (Boston) area, they should work if you are adding them onto an existing account; however, D* will not usually activate old (non-leased) equipment as the primary receiver on a new account...
That's all I needed to know, I asked because I weren't sure if they could technologically work or not, but I'm glad I know now. Thank you.

That's all I needed to know, I asked because I weren't sure if they could technologically work or not, but I'm glad I know now. Thank you.
It could work but it would be very limited, you would not have a lot of the channels in the guide with that old of a set up, hard to say what would and wouldn't work.

Actually, it's NOT all that old of a receiver; it has the APG (Advanced Prog Guide) & since he's in the Boston DMA, he definitely WOULD get all his local channels on the 101 bird. (in SD, obviously)
The only channels he wouldn't get (in the guide or otherwise) would be things like the NFL-ST & a few other sports & PPV channels - & obviously channels that are HD-only like Fusion, BBC World, etc.
And actually IMHO, the EPG on them was probably one of the best in all D* receivers; quick operation & many customizable options! (I had these myself & so did many of my clients before HD, so I am VERY familiar with them)

D* still supports them, so as long as he has clean access cards in them (or if he is reactivating them on the previous account they were on) there shouldn't be an issue w/D* activating them. BUT to your point, eventually D* WILL stop supporting them as they start to transition to a (mostly) HD-only service & will require HD/MPEG4 receivers.

Actually, it's NOT all that old of a receiver; it has the APG (Advanced Prog Guide) & since he's in the Boston DMA, he definitely WOULD get all his local channels on the 101 bird. (in SD, obviously)
The only channels he wouldn't get (in the guide or otherwise) would be things like the NFL-ST & a few other sports & PPV channels - & obviously channels that are HD-only like Fusion, BBC World, etc.
And actually IMHO, the EPG on them was probably one of the best in all D* receivers; quick operation & many customizable options! (I had these myself & so did many of my clients before HD, so I am VERY familiar with them)

D* still supports them, so as long as he has clean access cards in them (or if he is reactivating them on the previous account they were on) there shouldn't be an issue w/D* activating them. BUT to your point, eventually D* WILL stop supporting them as they start to transition to a (mostly) HD-only service & will require HD/MPEG4 receivers.

Thank you. Would I get PPV channels on the same receiver w/ a different dish? I don't care for sports, though (ironically, me being from Boston), so that's not a worry.

I'm thinking the Hughes recvr thats from say 1997-2000 era ?
THATS OLD ...
The processor is gonna be way slow causing various issues with guide being available.
Isn't it mpeg2 only ?

Its great if your using it for a room that doesn't get used much I suppose.

I'm thinking the Hughes recvr thats from say 1997-2000 era ?
THATS OLD ...
The processor is gonna be way slow causing various issues with guide being available.
Isn't it mpeg2 only ?

Its great if your using it for a room that doesn't get used much I suppose.
These were made in 2003-2004. The one I have was manufactured on March '04.

I have one of those receivers that I use in the guest room when company arrives. It gets a great SD picture and is a lot faster than any of the new receivers with the possible exception of the HR-44. I will miss it when they finally go all HD.

These were made in 2003-2004. The one I have was manufactured on March '04.
Ok, it's a bit newer than I remember.
Still the processor is gonna be less than what's considered acceptable today, but like I said, if it's just a room with little use, probably not a problem.

Still the processor is gonna be less than what's considered acceptable today, but like I said, if it's just a room with little use, probably not a problem.
First, since the OP ONLY cares about SD channels, it makes absolutely NO difference that these boxes are MPEG2 only...what that would have to do with the EPG I have NO clue... :confused:

He knows the other (minor) limitations of these receivers & obviously doesn't seem to bother him, for the needs he is looking for. (basically little to no PPV & some missing sports channels/packages)

Have you actually SEEN one of these in operation TODAY? If you did, you would find that they ARE, in fact, a LOT faster than the "current lot" of receivers now. What you are failing to understand, is that the reason for the slowness on some of today's receivers (think H20, 21, etc.) is NOT so much the (lack of a) faster processor...but the fact of all the interactive apps & other "garbage" enhancements, that D* insists on continually shoving down into these newer receivers - some of which that were NEVER originally designed for this complexity! But because D* has stopped trying to "enhance" these older (non-H/HR) receivers, they are actually able to properly function the way that the manufacturer had intended.

I actually had (& still have) one of the Hughes HAH-SD receivers (the better version of this series of receivers) & IMHO, it IS still one of the best non-DVR boxes D* had. 14-day instant EPG, that you could easily customize MUCH more & better than any of the current boxes. (you can even use or delete the PIP on it!) 2-hours of guide vs 90 min on today's "better" receivers. Better remote control key layout & fast operation of all receiver functions. It even has component video outputs (no, I don't mean composite) & optical audio out. Unfortunately they don't get locals here since they went MPEG4 only; I "moved" to Chicago, so it wasn't an issue for me.

I was at our local Red Robin this past weekend to prog some new RF remotes & they had all H25 receivers...obviously the newest non-DVR receiver that have not been out all that long. Before I could even start doing my work, the manager was complaining up a storm how incredibly SLOW they all were. And when I started doing my work, he certainly was NOT kidding; I simply cannot fathom how D* has "broken" what once were fast receivers & basically turned them into "Pentium ONE" receivers - REALLY, REALLY?

Last edited:
This receiver is a lot faster than any of the newer receivers. When you press channel up it is instantaneous, the guide pops right up and jumps to the channel selected. I wish my HR-24 would respond like this but I like HD.

First, since the OP ONLY cares about SD channels, it makes absolutely NO difference that these boxes are MPEG2 only...what that would have to do with the EPG I have NO clue... :confused:

He knows the other (minor) limitations of these receivers & obviously doesn't seem to bother him, for the needs he is looking for. (basically little to no PPV & some missing sports channels/packages)

Have you actually SEEN one of these in operation TODAY? If you did, you would find that they ARE, in fact, a LOT faster than the "current lot" of receivers now. What you are failing to understand, is that the reason for the slowness on some of today's receivers (think H20, 21, etc.) is NOT so much the (lack of a) faster processor...but the fact of all the interactive apps & other "garbage" enhancements, that D* insists on continually shoving down into these newer receivers - some of which that were NEVER originally designed for this complexity! But because D* has stopped trying to "enhance" these older (non-H/HR) receivers, they are actually able to properly function the way that the manufacturer had intended.

I actually had (& still have) one of the Hughes HAH-SD receivers (the better version of this series of receivers) & IMHO, it IS still one of the best non-DVR boxes D* had. 14-day instant EPG, that you could easily customize MUCH more & better than any of the current boxes. Better remote control key layout & fast operation of all receiver functions. It even has component video outputs (no, I don't mean composite) & optical audio out. Unfortunately they don't get locals here since they went MPEG4 only; I "moved" to Chicago, so it wasn't an issue for me.
No, I haven't seen one of them running in ages.

I actually had (& still have) one of the Hughes HAH-SD receivers (the better version of this series of receivers) & IMHO, it IS still one of the best non-DVR boxes D* had. 14-day instant EPG, that you could easily customize MUCH more & better than any of the current boxes. (you can even use or delete the PIP on it!) 2-hours of guide vs 90 min on today's "better" receivers. Better remote control key layout & fast operation of all receiver functions. It even has component video outputs (no, I don't mean composite) & optical audio out. Unfortunately they don't get locals here since they went MPEG4 only; I "moved" to Chicago, so it wasn't an issue for me.

I was at our local Red Robin this past weekend to prog some new RF remotes & they had all H25 receivers...obviously the newest non-DVR receiver that have not been out all that long. Before I could even start doing my work, the manager was complaining up a storm how incredibly SLOW they all were. And when I started doing my work, he certainly was NOT kidding; I simply cannot fathom how D* has "broken" what once were fast receivers & basically turned them into "Pentium ONE" receivers - REALLY, REALLY?

Does the PPV not work entirely because of the receiver or the dish I thought of? Pardon my redundancy but I'm really curious. (Again: sports, though, I don't care for at all)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts