Could use a bit of help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mikebb79

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Bay Area, CA
Hi, I just stumbled onto this forum today as I was doing some research. I'm finding some very useful information for sure, but also becoming a little confused. Please forgive me if this should be posted elsewhere, but I think I'm in the right spot. We just moved into a house a month ago, and since I just wanted to have tv service quickly upon moving in, we just transferred our Comcast to the new address. I've grown tired of them and their customer service and a lot of other things. So, with the decision of switching to dish, I did the comparisons of which company I'd want to go with, and it looked like for the channels I'm looking for, and being a sports fan, Directv is the way to go. With that said, I'm pretty sure I know which channel package I'd like as well. I've read that it's better to have more equipment when you sign up, because it'll cost more if you add on later, so instead of just the 2 rooms I was going to have covered, I was thinking of adding an additional receiver to my cart. I was going to go for the whole house dvr also. I've read that some people have had issues with the whole home not working great and wanted to get an opinion on if that's a way I want to go. Basically I really don't want to feel like I'm getting screwed once I sign up and they come out to install my equipment. So if anyone can give me any other pointers on what I should consider before signing up, I'd appreciate it. Also, the previous owner of our home has an old dish network dish on the roof, and the installer ran the cable all crazy through the garage and it looks like a mess. I'm wondering if when I get this new dish installed if they would clean that up and make it look nice, or do I have to watch everything they do to insure it doesn't look like crap. I apologize for this long post and hope it's not too convoluted, but I'm currently a stay at home dad and the moments I have to do research on this aren't as many as I feel I need. I hope I can get some helpful pointers. Thank you much!

Hi, I just stumbled onto this forum today as I was doing some research. I'm finding some very useful information for sure, but also becoming a little confused. Please forgive me if this should be posted elsewhere, but I think I'm in the right spot. We just moved into a house a month ago, and since I just wanted to have tv service quickly upon moving in, we just transferred our Comcast to the new address. I've grown tired of them and their customer service and a lot of other things. So, with the decision of switching to dish, I did the comparisons of which company I'd want to go with, and it looked like for the channels I'm looking for, and being a sports fan, Directv is the way to go. With that said, I'm pretty sure I know which channel package I'd like as well. I've read that it's better to have more equipment when you sign up, because it'll cost more if you add on later, so instead of just the 2 rooms I was going to have covered, I was thinking of adding an additional receiver to my cart. I was going to go for the whole house dvr also. I've read that some people have had issues with the whole home not working great and wanted to get an opinion on if that's a way I want to go. Basically I really don't want to feel like I'm getting screwed once I sign up and they come out to install my equipment. So if anyone can give me any other pointers on what I should consider before signing up, I'd appreciate it. Also, the previous owner of our home has an old dish network dish on the roof, and the installer ran the cable all crazy through the garage and it looks like a mess. I'm wondering if when I get this new dish installed if they would clean that up and make it look nice, or do I have to watch everything they do to insure it doesn't look like crap. I apologize for this long post and hope it's not too convoluted, but I'm currently a stay at home dad and the moments I have to do research on this aren't as many as I feel I need. I hope I can get some helpful pointers. Thank you much!

Welcome to the Site !!!

As for getting all the recvrs you think you'll need now, YES, thats a huge advantage over adding on later.

As for the D* guy removing or tiding up your wires from the DISH guys, I doubt they will do that, unless they are using some of the existing wiring.

Don't forget you can save a $ 100 by getting a referral as well as using AAA if your a member.

Welcome to the Site !!!

As for getting all the recvrs you think you'll need now, YES, thats a huge advantage over adding on later.

As for the D* guy removing or tiding up your wires from the DISH guys, I doubt they will do that, unless they are using some of the existing wiring.

Don't forget you can save a $ 100 by getting a referral as well as using AAA if your a member.

Right on, thanks for the info. about the discount! We were thinking about signing up for AAA anyways, so now I'll do it for sure before we signup for service.

Always get the receivers you will want at signup, it costs more to add them later.

You may want to think about the Home Media Center, it is new and can record 5 things at once, and act as a sole DVR for your home.
DIRECTV Home Media Center HD DVR - HMC HD DVR - DIRECTV

The installer may get rid of the extra wiring if you ask and offer them a tip, 20 or so. Otherwise, just cut it, pull it, wind it up and throw i away.

Always get the receivers you will want at signup, it costs more to add them later.

You may want to think about the Home Media Center, it is new and can record 5 things at once, and act as a sole DVR for your home.

The installer may get rid of the extra wiring if you ask and offer them a tip, 20 or so. Otherwise, just cut it, pull it, wind it up and throw i away.

Ok, I may just take the whole deal down myself. It's quite a mess though. The previous owners had cable installed but also had a dish. So some of the cables out of the wall don't work for our current Comcast service. ( I assume they were for the old dish) So I don't know if I should just wait until the guy comes here and checks out the situation, or just pull the cables and stuff out myself.

Also, regarding the Home Media Center, the advantage of having that over the hd dvr is what? I couldn't figure that out by checking out their website. It looked like it was basically more recording space. With the HMC I would still need additional receivers, correct? Just as I would for the hd dvr right?

Ok, I may just take the whole deal down myself. It's quite a mess though. The previous owners had cable installed but also had a dish. So some of the cables out of the wall don't work for our current Comcast service. ( I assume they were for the old dish) So I don't know if I should just wait until the guy comes here and checks out the situation, or just pull the cables and stuff out myself.

Also, regarding the Home Media Center, the advantage of having that over the hd dvr is what? I couldn't figure that out by checking out their website. It looked like it was basically more recording space. With the HMC I would still need additional receivers, correct? Just as I would for the hd dvr right?

The biggest advantage IMO of the HMC over a regular HDDVR is the fact that it has 5 tuners. So you can record 5 shows at the same time, or record 4 and watch one live etc... The regular HDDVR has 2 tuners. Now when it comes to the whole home DVR setup either way you go you will need a separate receiver for each television you want to use this on. They have to be HD receivers for you to use them for WHDVR. With the HMC you can use the H25 receivers at each tv OR if you happen to have a Samsung tv that has RVU capabilities you don't need a receiver. But few people have that right now.

I'd highly recommend going with the HMC. I have it with two H25s (HD receivers) and its great: you'll never run out of space and the 5 tuners is amazing!

Check your PMs :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)