Could use some guidance selecting DVR, service and instruction on moving abroad

JJD

Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
I have been a cable subscriber my whole life but I purchased a house in Baja, Mexico and would like American programming there, mainly for sports. I need HD and DVR capabilities. I am thinking of purchasing the ViP922 slingloaded. I only have 1 TV.

I would most likely set up the service while I am here in the US for the next three months. Can anyone suggest the best way to go about setting up service here and transferring it to Mexico? I am willing to pay extra for the month to month service so I can abandon ship if it is not workable in Mexico.

I can not speak for your service in Mex, or how to guide you. But I will address equipment. DO NOT, DO NOT purchase a 922. The biggest receiver bomb in Dish history. Get A Hopper, or next best, a 722K and a sling adapter.

The 922's are only $49 for FlexTV customers, so even though it's a POS it's not a bad deal.

Buy a 211, pay the fee to make it a dvr and setup a pay as you go account. I believe you will need to keep a US address as Dish can't legally sell service in Mexico. I think you will need larger 1 meter Dishes in Mexico too

I wouldn't care if it was free, don't get a 922. You do need to set up the account in the U.S. as mentioned and hopefully you can bring the equipment with you. No guarantee you will get signal or get the satellites to get the programs you want though with a larger DISH looks like you would.

I am thinking of purchasing the ViP922 slingloaded.

I am willing to pay extra for the month to month service so I can abandon ship if it is not workable in Mexico.
Since you plan on purchasing the receiver (and dish, LNBs, etc), you won't be bound by a contract. Well, better make sure that agreeing to any package discounts won't put you under contract either.

These guys, http://www.cabosat.net/Satellite_TV/Dish-Network.aspx, give information on getting Dish service ("American" Dish service) and they say you can get signal from 2 of the 3 satellites on the Western Arc. It takes a 4' dish for each satellite though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts