Could use some help in a choice...

MaD MiKe

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
IL
I am the proud owner of a brand spanking new Panny 50" plasma so now I want to upgrade to HDTV sat broadcast and being a 9 year subscriber to *E I am thinking of going with a vip211 for frugal reasons.. :)

Now here comes the choice I need help with.. I would also like to go with a non HD DVR to use in our bedroom, the wife likes to record OPRAH and the such, and link the DVR to my whole house feed but I don't need anything fancy and must keep frugallity in the equation in the choice, ok I'm a cheap SOB!! :D .. I would prefer something with one tuner and a UHF remote to use in any other room but if the price is right I would go with a two tuner setup with an IR and UHF remote...

What say yea, as I am open for any and all constructive decisions and having recently retired I have to look at this on the "frugal concept"... ;)

Thanks in advance folks..

We have a 510 which is a one-tuner non-HD receiver with a DVR and a UHF remote. It has worked flawlessly since we got it. It was our main receiver until it was replaced with a 622 when we went HD in the living room. I imagine there are 510's available on e-bay and such.

Ok let me pose this to you. Why not go with the 622 then? Its a two tuner HD-DVR that does SD on the second output. Run one tuner to the Panny plasma and one tuner to the SD TV.

Problem solved.

-Bill

MaD MiKe said:
I am the proud owner of a brand spanking new Panny 50" plasma so now I want to upgrade to HDTV sat broadcast and being a 9 year subscriber to *E I am thinking of going with a vip211 for frugal reasons.. :)

Now here comes the choice I need help with.. I would also like to go with a non HD DVR to use in our bedroom, the wife likes to record OPRAH and the such, and link the DVR to my whole house feed but I don't need anything fancy and must keep frugallity in the equation in the choice, ok I'm a cheap SOB!! :D .. I would prefer something with one tuner and a UHF remote to use in any other room but if the price is right I would go with a two tuner setup with an IR and UHF remote...

What say yea, as I am open for any and all constructive decisions and having recently retired I have to look at this on the "frugal concept"... ;)

Thanks in advance folks..

I think if you go as planned you will regret not getting a 622, the 622 would fit in perfectly with your plans, and once you have that DVR experience you will never look back. Just my opinion.

Folks I really think you are right and the 622 would fit into my plans as I would only have one dual receiver to work with and I could feed the whole house with the SD tuner (?)..

I will make some notes and talk with my sat guy today and see what I can come up with and make an appointment for an install.. It will be a done deal one way or the other today..

Thanks for all the responses...

Well you guys had better be right because I have a 622 coming for install on Friday.. ;) Thanks..

$318.00 will cover the 622, install, and a Dish 500 paired with my Super Dish so I'm set to go... I was given the option of the Dish 1000, or the 500 paired with the Super Dish so I told him to give me the latter... Been reading the forum and I see where some folks are having problems with rain fade with the 1000 and pesky sat 129 so I thought it would be prudent to eliminate the problem right off the bat..

I have to run a phone line to to the room the Panny is in but that won't take long to fix.. I'm going to have the installer run tv1 to the Panny and tv2 to the whole house distribution block. Any input???

If any of the above seems out of hand or you have any input please don't refrain and expound on your choices .

You done good. lol One question, is the extra $18 over the $299.99 for install of line to #2 tv? And how did you get such fast install, I have heard that they are a month behind on supply of 622s?

Dirtydan said:
You done good. lol One question, is the extra $18 over the $299.99 for install of line to #2 tv? And how did you get such fast install, I have heard that they are a month behind on supply of 622s?

The extra cash will be IL state tax..

When I talked to the my sat guy this morning he told me two months wait on the 622 due to production problems due to some chip problem, sooo it might be wise to get on the waiting list.. Two hours later he calls me back and says I'm the luckiest SOB of the day because when he called to tell the supplier to put him on the list for another 622 they told him they had one extra and he could have it.. In our phone conversation he also tells me he can have the installer come over on Friday, if the 622 shows up, and I said "Kewl!!".. :D

Sometimes your the bug, and somtimes your the windshield."" :) Twas a lucky day indeed...

Looking forward to joining the 622 Club... ;)

How many runs of coax are to be ran to the 622 to facilitate the dual mode install??

I currently have a Sat Feed, OTA and whole house feed runs of coax running to the 4900 at the present and am thinking there needs to be a second Sat coax running to the rear of the 622.. I know the installer should be running the coax but I would like to have the holes drilled for him to make the run..

Long story but it will have a Happy ending and save time....

If need be I will drill the holes for the second Sat feed at the same time I do the phone line run..

We're on a roll!!!

Depends on the switch that they use. If they put in a DPP44 to support four Sat locations then you can use a single run of Coax to the 622 with the included seperator. (You would still need your two other Coax runs for OTA and the modulated house feed)

Since you appear to need four orbital slots (3 on the superdish and one to 129) they really should be installing the DPP44. If they forget it, then you could have some issues.

Dirtydan said:
I don't know what your set-up is now, but I think , to be safe, you should prepare for second coax to 622 location.

More than logically the right choice.. ;) :)

Careful!!! The HD DVR is seriously addictive!!!

We just love our 942 and will hopefully have the 622 turned up soon.

No kidding, you're gonna love the DVR!

--Doug

Make sure the DPP44 is on the work order! There are ways around it, but agreeing with jkinser, that's the configuration you want! Unfortunately, those too are currently in short supply.

(622 wannahave, sometime after my current contract expires...)

When I had my install, I bought a DP44 off ebay, installed it myself, added a 500 DP and pointed it a 61.5 and wired to last spot on DP44, installed my bought receivers, when the installer showed up, he replaced my old 500 with a 1000, it was a quad, so had 4 cables. He used 3 of them, I had useed the 4th for 61.5, he handed me the DP34 to do as I please, the swapped out the 500, then screwed up my 622 when he powered it off during a download, so I had to wait 4 days for another 622, also made him work on the 1000 until he got proper signal, he was going to walk away with it at 58 percent, but I ranted, he finally got it at 84 percent and 110-119 in the 90's, and I get 123 on 61.5 so hopefully your install will go better. Once you catch the DVR fever, your hooked, don't forget to install an OTA antenna and run a cable for that. Being able to record 3 things at once is pretty darn nice.

jkinser said:
Depends on the switch that they use. If they put in a DPP44 to support four Sat locations then you can use a single run of Coax to the 622 with the included seperator. (You would still need your two other Coax runs for OTA and the modulated house feed)

Since you appear to need four orbital slots (3 on the superdish and one to 129) they really should be installing the DPP44. If they forget it, then you could have some issues.

I do believe that in our conversation on the install he mentioned a DP44 in which case it seems like this will be the Cat's Meow..

I told the Mrs. that we needed to get out of the VCR age and go the latest and greatest so I and she are looking forward to the DVR and all it's capabilities..

I will post on the install and the many hours of smiles with the 622..

I hope the rain holds off that's forecasted for Friday!!!
:(

Thanks for all the support!! :)

Those DP 44s are hard to come by, you might want to check with who might be installing and if they don't have one let them set you up with what ever it takes to get you up and running, but insist that they come back and change to DP 44 when one comes available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)