Could VOD be BD biggest threat??

I guess I'm in the minority, I think there is a market for both. None of the available VOD services offer a huge selection of movies offered in 1080p with lossless audio..........yet. I hear that eventually XStreamHD will offer it . But watching it once isn't good enough for me. I actually utilize Netflix for most of my BD watching.

None of the available VOD services offer a huge selection of movies offered in 1080p with lossless audio..........yet.
And I don't think will anytime soon... if ever (about the lossless audio part).
And shouldn't, of course.

Diogen.

I guess I'm in the minority, I think there is a market for both. None of the available VOD services offer a huge selection of movies offered in 1080p with lossless audio..........yet. I hear that eventually XStreamHD will offer it . But watching it once isn't good enough for me. I actually utilize Netflix for most of my BD watching.

I think you're right. Since the majority is happy with a dvd player and netflix, i think BD and services like Roku, Vudu, etc... will fight over people like us. NOw if BD gets their prices to $99 soon like Diogen thinks is possible, could be a diff story.

None of the available VOD services offer a huge selection of movies offered in 1080p with lossless audio..........yet.
How many BD owners actually are enjoying 1080p and HD audio? I’m thinking less then 10% considering most HD TVs’ are 720P and we all know the newer AVR is barely off the ground.

But watching it once isn't good enough for me.
You watch ALL your movies more then once?:confused:

How many BD owners actually are enjoying 1080p and HD audio? I’m thinking less then 10% considering most HD TVs’ are 720P and we all know the newer AVR is barely off the ground.

You watch ALL your movies more then once?:confused:
There are a hell of a lot more enjoying 1080p and lossless via BD than there are enjoying it via VOD. The number enjoying it on BD will continue to increase every day. We have yet to see any VOD service provide it. And yes, I do watch most movies more than once.............whenever I please to boot. Every anti BD person makes the claim that VOD will smother BD. It's not gonna happen.

There are a hell of a lot more enjoying 1080p and lossless via BD than there are enjoying it via VOD. The number enjoying it on BD will continue to increase every day. We have yet to see any VOD service provide it. And yes, I do watch most movies more than once.............whenever I please to boot. Every anti BD person makes the claim that VOD will smother BD. It's not gonna happen.

Just as PPV never killed DVD over the past several years.

I do, however, think VOD can be a big boon to marketing premiums. I have an HD DVR with Cox Cable, but love the fact that I can keep it uncluttered with marginal titles I only have a slight interest in seeing by being able to access them any time via the various premiums' HD On Demand service, which is included in the monthly price I pay. Better than having 8-10 SD/HD channels of each premium.

There are a hell of a lot more enjoying 1080p and lossless via BD than there are enjoying it via VOD.
True, "a hell of a lot more".
Now if at least some of these "a hell of a lot" would have a clue what the difference between lossless and lossy is
instead of parroting "gurus" like Blu Shill Bill, that would actually mean something for a change...
Every anti BD person makes the claim that VOD will smother BD. It's not gonna happen.
And I guess this is because you said so, right?
One of the main reason BD won, I think, is marketing: they manage to position - and convince consumers - that BD is a product in a different league alltogether.
We all now that it has as much truth in it as WMDs that half the world believed, too.

Whatever will try to counter BD, doesn't have to be better. Actually, I think it would be a mistake to fight BD on this front.
It should be the "value proposition": you have to pay way too much for way too little in return... Unlike BD vs. HD it will have some truth in it.

Will it be VOD, Roku-type players, downloads or nextgen upconverters doesn't matter: convince the consumer he gets
halfway from DVD to BD for $100 and BD has one way to go - the way SACD, DVD-A went... Unless BD players are $100, too.

Diogen.

Their love for BD won't allow them the see anything. Just like the person being cheated on is always the last one to find out.

And I guess this is because you said so, right?
One of the main reason BD won, I think, is marketing: they manage to position - and convince consumers - that BD is a product in a different league alltogether.
We all now that it has as much truth in it as WMDs that half the world believed, too.
Wow what a genius..comparing the format war to Iraq and WMD's. No arguement on which format marketed better. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but BD is a better product than the VOD that is currently being offered. As far the format war (which is over for heaven sakes, let it go) that you and others KEEP bringing up, I have NEVER said that BD is "in a different league" than HD DVD. But we will soon see that it is the superior format when new versions of Transformers (BD optimizing encode and lossless audio) and The Mummy (remastered with a higher video bitrate and DTS HD MA) come out. Anyway, to go back to the original issue of this thread, it is my opinion that BD and VOD can easily co-exist.

Wow what a genius..comparing the format war to Iraq and WMD's. No arguement on which format marketed better. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but BD is a better product than the VOD that is currently being offered. As far the format war (which is over for heaven sakes, let it go) that you and others KEEP bringing up, I have NEVER said that BD is "in a different league" than HD DVD. But we will soon see that it is the superior format when new versions of Transformers (BD optimizing encode and lossless audio) and The Mummy (remastered with a higher video bitrate and DTS HD MA) come out.
Transformers won HD audio award of the year, we’ll see.

Also its easy for BD to super duper remaster every HD DVD release. If I’m not mistaken DTS MA wasn’t available when HD DVD was introduced. Are you going to go back and compare every BD release of a former HD DVD studio under those circumstances? Does a cool invention a year from now applied to BD make it a “superior format” to HD DVD. That doesn’t mean it was a “superior format”, any company can reverse engineer another companies work and tweak it. You learn as times goes on. I’m surprised a smart man like you didn’t realize that. Don’t forget to factor in consumer friendliness when grading which format is ‘superior’. How smart is it to compare a format that is moving forward with technology advances with a format that is standing still.

Thus I can’t understand your comments:But we will soon see that it is the superior format when new versions come out."

Transformers won HD audio award of the year, we’ll see.

Also its easy for BD to super duper remaster every HD DVD release. If I’m not mistaken DTS MA wasn’t available when HD DVD was introduced. Are you going to go back and compare every BD release of a former HD DVD studio under those circumstances? Does a cool invention a year from now applied to BD make it a “superior format” to HD DVD. That doesn’t mean it was a “superior format”, any company can reverse engineer another companies work and tweak it. You learn as times goes on. I’m surprised a smart man like you didn’t realize that. Don’t forget to factor in consumer friendliness when grading which format is ‘superior’. How smart is it to compare a format that is moving forward with technology advances with a format that is standing still.

Thus I can’t understand your comments:But we will soon see that it is the superior format when new versions come out."
There is no doubt that the Transformers audio track was excellent.....I own it at have watched it about 15 times or so. I can't wait to hear the lossless audio track when it comes out. It is one of the few that I will double dip with the BD version. Lossless tracks were left off many Universal titles because there was simply not enough room on the 30 GB disc to put one on. (see King Kong). Nonrev, I actually agree with your point in principle. Let me clarify. BD from a technical standpoint is the superior format. (50 GB discs and more bandwidth thus having the potential to provide more audio and picture information) From a consumer standpoint HD DVD was much more consumer friendly (cheaper and completed from day one) But the argument about reverse engineering doesn't hold water. No one is reverse engineering anything, so you are talking apples and oranges. These are the SAME studios releasing the SAME movies on the BD format. The difference is, they have the freedom to make discs that are transparent to the audio and video masters. Paramount and Universal both admitted (in relation to King Kong and Transormers) that they didn't have the disc space to include lossless audio. Also your comment "how can you compare a format that is moving forward to a format that is standing still?" is irrrelevent in this context. BD-50's were in the BD spec from the very beginning of the format whereas BD-30's were in the HD DVD spec. If Universal would have released King King on BD back in 2006, it still could have included lossless audio and high bit rate video thus being superior to the HD DVD version. The same goes for Transformers when it was released. BD hasn't had any significant advances since the beginning of the format war. The only advances they have had is in BD-J applications which have lagged behind HD DVD because of inadequate hardware that was rushed to the market. Now will we see or hear the differences? Who knows, those were two very good looking and sounding titles..........but they have the potential to be just a bit better.

Wow what a genius..comparing the format war to Iraq and WMD's.
Hey, thanks, buddy... For such a short stint at this site you ain't too bad yourself.
Just go back and have a look at this piece of "mental exercise"
Samsung is the one to blame.......glitchy players rushed to market.
Acrobatics...
You are entitled to your opinion of course...
I am? Thanks, that's a relief...
As far the format war (which is over for heaven sakes, let it go) that you and others KEEP bringing up...
Hmmm... Stop claiming that BD is the best thing after sliced bread and I might listen to you.
What, you don't make such claims? I don't bring up the format war either...
But we will soon see that it is the superior format when new versions of Transformers...
And how exactly are we gonna see this?
Blu Shill Bill will join Michael Bay proclaiming "See! Didn't I tell you it is like day and night?" And the chorus of BD faithful "Of course!"
Is this what you mean?
Anyway, to go back to the original issue of this thread, it is my opinion that BD and VOD can easily co-exist.
I think so, too. At least for a while...

Diogen.

Blu it’s proven that it is more about the transfer then whether its lossless or not. Transformers DD+ audio soundtrack beating out all the BD fancy lossless codec’s proves it. Be careful not to let your hopes and expectations cloud your comparison, most people see/hear what they hope to see/hear, its human nature. Most blind audio test show that the average person can’t tell the difference and that any given codec at a higher volume is perceived as the best quality.

Blu it’s proven that it is more about the transfer then whether its lossless or not. Transformers DD+ audio soundtrack beating out all the BD fancy lossless codec’s proves it. Be careful not to let your hopes and expectations cloud your comparison, most people see/hear what they hope to see/hear, its human nature. Most blind audio test show that the average person can’t tell the difference and that any given codec at a higher volume is perceived as the best quality.
I don't really disagree with everything you said...........I'm interested if I will be able to tell the difference........I think I will but we'll see.

Last edited:
Hmmm... Stop claiming that BD is the best thing after sliced bread and I might listen to you.
Diogen.
Wow, you really took a lot of time to construct that entire multiquote response. A little obsessive are we? I have defended BD, but have always been very aware of it's flaws...........that is why I bought into HD DVD first and waited till later to buy into BD. I defend BD now because it is all that is left of HDM. You have responded disrespectfully towards most every post I have made since I have come onto this forum. What is your problem? I have disagreed with others on this forum and although they disagree and argue their points tooth and nail, none have name called or used the belittling sarcasm as you have. It's actually a bummer this got moved to the smackdown forum.

Last edited:
A little obsessive are we?
No, we are not.
Without going into details explaining the obvious: If you ever thought you can get away
with a post starting "Wow, what a genius...", calling this assumption "disrespectful" would be an understatement.

Diogen.

Wow, you really took a lot of time to construct that entire multiquote response.
LOL

I don't really disagree with everything you said...........I'm interested if I will be able to tell the difference........I think I will but we'll see.
Your going to spend $30+ on a movie to see if you can tell an improvement on a soundtrack that won HD audio of the year award??? What are you looking to hear the actor’s heartbeat? What do you want to see the actors molecules? Considering you didn't disagree with me about the blind audio test makes me think you have money the throw away, or your just not thinking about this logically. Meaning the repurchase of transformers on BD is more than likely to be a zero sum gain.

LOL

Your going to spend $30+ on a movie to see if you can tell an improvement on a soundtrack that won HD audio of the year award??? What are you looking to hear the actor’s heartbeat? What do you want to see the actors molecules? Considering you didn't disagree with me about the blind audio test makes me think you have money the throw away, or your just not thinking about this logically. Meaning the repurchase of transformers on BD is more than likely to be a zero sum gain.
No I'll get it on amazon for probably 24 bucks or so. You can say what you want, but I CAN tell a difference between lossless and lossy audio.......not everyone can, the differences are not night and day, they are subtle. I didn't disagree with you about the blind audio tests, because some can't hear a difference. In my tests my brother and I did, we can hear a difference. The DD+ track is outstanding, but it is not identical to the master so it didn't reach it's greatest potential. I WILL own it, and like I said it won't sound night and day better, but it should sound marginally better. And also if you must know, my HD-A1 and 22 HD DVD's are going on Craig's list or ebay. So I will rebuy just a few titles namely Transformers and Batman Begins. I had an absolute blast with HD DVD, but it's dead. Also, I'm not exactly sure why you spend so much time here arguing about BD since you obviously don't like it and don't own a BD player.

Once again for the billionth time it’s not about HD DVD or BD technology. It’s mostly the same as far as HD experience. My gripe is the way $ony/BD is administering the technology and their pricing. No arguing here just banter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts