Couldn't find 61.5 - Very strange ......

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ffaridi1

Original poster
Dec 17, 2005
Hi,
This is my first post ..... I just installed a Dish 500 with twin LNB (Dish Pro) and have a 311 receiver ( which can tak einput from DP LNB).
I wanted to watch only couple of international channels which are located at satellite 61.5 (its the closest from where I live - IL).
I have been trying for last 2 days in chilling cold to get this but I couldn't.

I live on top floor of my appartment so LOS is not an issue I guess ( I install dish on my balcony railing).

I can even see 119W and 110W which I used to download latest software into my receiver earlier.

Apart fro mthem I can see 2 BellExpressVu satellites ( 82 and 91) .... but the one I want i.e 61.5W I couldn;t get)... According to the angle menu the elevation for 119 and 110 are same as 61.5 only azimuth is different... so if I can catch 119and 110 then why couldn't I catch 61.5 when I rotate the dish keeping same elevation as 119/110........

Any idea is highly highly appreciated....... I'm so much frustrated right now......:(

Welcome to Satguys. 61.5 is east of 110 and 119... almost at a 90 degree angle.. Im in chicago and the elevation for both 61.5 and 119/110 is 36 degrees. You should just have to swing your dish south east and peak with a meter.. Where abouts are you? If your in the chicago land area.. Im in the kankakee area.. and maybe i can help you out.. :)

Because of the skew the elevation for a dual sat (110/119 dish500) will be different than the elevation single sat dish.

n0qcu said:
Because of the skew the elevation for a dual sat (110/119 dish500) will be different than the elevation single sat dish.
True - it'll actually be somewhere in between the two D300 elevations.

It's UNusual for a D500 and 61.5 to have the same elevation. In fact, if I've done the math right, that'll only be true somewhere near 88W longitude.

For me (at 105W), it's 61.5 and 148 that are at just about the same elevation, with 110/119 being almost 20 degrees higher.

n0qcu said:

Thats what I was going to mention the Skew.
Set your skew for 90 deg, and hook to the 119 deg side and after setting your elevation to your zip if the pole is plumb, you should get a signal after slowly swinging around to the east and then touch up your elevation.

SimpleSimon said:
True - it'll actually be somewhere in between the two D300 elevations.

It's UNusual for a D500 and 61.5 to have the same elevation. In fact, if I've done the math right, that'll only be true somewhere near 88W longitude.

For me (at 105W), it's 61.5 and 148 that are at just about the same elevation, with 110/119 being almost 20 degrees higher.

Thats the way it just works out here.. my true south bird is amc 3 at 87 degrees (one degree off is my true south at 88) so your math is right :)

Thanks a lot every one for replying... it was really unexpected as in other forums you have to wait for ever for so many replies for a thread :)

Any ways... I did make sure that my dish mast is perpendicular by using a bubble level but it might not be perfectly perpendicular so taking this into consideration along with skew foe Dish 500 as mentioned earlier I could get 119 deg at around 44 deg as compared to 34 degrees mentioned for it for my zp code.(60139).

Tomorrow morning I'll again try to catch 61.5 by starting from 110 going east (with same elevation) and touching 110 first and then 91 and then 82.....( I donot expect 61.5 to be not far east wards from Bell expressVu 82 , as its justa difference of aroung 20 degrees,
and may be because of a slight tilt in the pole I couldn't catch 61.5 at the same angle as 119/110/91/82 so after 82 I'll try to lower/increase my elevation a bit to see if I catch it , whats the suggestion (How many degrees should I change ?)

ffaridi1 said:
Thanks a lot every one for replying... it was really unexpected as in other forums you have to wait for ever for so many replies for a thread :)
Any ways... I did make sure that my dish mast is perpendicular by using a bubble level but it might not be perfectly perpendicular so taking this into consideration along with skew foe Dish 500 as mentioned earlier I could get 119 deg at around 44 deg as compared to 34 degrees mentioned for it for my zp code.(60139).
Tomorrow morning I'll again try to catch 61.5 by starting from 110 going east (with same elevation) and touching 110 first and then 91 and then 82.....( I donot expect 61.5 to be not far east wards from Bell expressVu 82 , as its justa difference of aroung 20 degrees,
and may be because of a slight tilt in the pole I couldn't catch 61.5 at the same angle as 119/110/91/82 so after 82 I'll try to lower/increase my elevation a bit to see if I catch it , whats the suggestion (How many degrees should I change ?)
There is no way you can get 110/119 and 61.5 at the same elevation. AS this talking about high and low position satellites. If all can get the satellite at the same elevation, the dish need not be any adjustment.

If your interst is only for the internatinal channel, replace your DP Twin to a DP single or dual, you don't need the twin.

sksatellite said:
There is no way you can get 110/119 and 61.5 at the same elevation. AS this talking about high and low position satellites. If all can get the satellite at the same elevation, the dish need not be any adjustment.
If your interst is only for the internatinal channel, replace your DP Twin to a DP single or dual, you don't need the twin.

is 61.5 higher or lower that 119/110 and how much higher or lower in elevation?

Finally....
After 4 complete days of trying around I was managed to catch satellite 61.5 this morning(I adjusted my AZ to 35 and turn the dish to east nd as soon as I moved ita little...BOOOM..... the signal strength goes to 112 :)

I'm now able to see the channels I subscribed to, one more question to you guys:

The guy who lives right below my apartment (on 1st floor) was asking if he can share the dish with me ( he also wants same channels) ... so what do I hav eto install to give him a lead ( he agrees to buy another receiver) I know I have to buy a switch .. but which one?(model?)

And finally..... is there any way possible to get "Food Network". TLC" and "Cartoon Network" alone?

Thanks for your advices guys :)

ffaridi1 said:
The guy who lives right below my apartment (on 1st floor) was asking if he can share the dish with me ( he also wants same channels) ... so what do I hav eto install to give him a lead ( he agrees to buy another receiver) I know I have to buy a switch .. but which one?(model?)
If you have a dual lnb you will not need a switch... Be aware that he will have to open his own account with his receiver as it is illegal to "share" its called account stacking and is a big no-no.
ffaridi1 said:
And finally..... is there any way possible to get "Food Network". TLC" and "Cartoon Network" alone?

:)
No ala carte programming, these are all in packages...

Well, you've got a Twin, so you have outputs for two receivers and don't need to buy anything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)