HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
County waits for DISH Network decision
Megan Ward
Star Staff Writer
http://www.shelbystar.com/portal/ASP/article.asp?ID=20172
SHELBY — About 1,000 people came to a job fair that Fortune 500 company DISH Network held in Shelby last October.

The company was considering Cleveland County for a new 600-job service center but was also considering two other communities including one in Texas.

Have they made a decision yet?

They won’t say, and neither will the Cleveland County Chamber.

DISH spokesman Mark Cicero said that while the company is considering a location for its call center, he would not say if Cleveland County was in the running, or even if it was still a consideration at all anymore.

Stuart Gilbert, president of the chamber, would not give any details about the process but said he and Scott Darnell, senior VP of economic development, have spoken with DISH representatives in the past few days.

“You absolutely never know until a company says so in a press release,” Stewart said.

DISH representatives surveyed Cleveland County in October. They visited schools, and toured the community. Restaurant and stores along U.S. 74 posted signs reading “Welcome DISH Network.”

DISH Network is the brand name of direct broadcast satellite television service for EchoStar, a company based in Englewood, Colo. There are 500 customer service jobs and 100 management jobs for their call center, according to past reports in The Star. The pay scale will range from $8.50 to $11.50 per hour.

Dish has a call center down in Christiansburg, VA. Thats about 10 minutes from where I went to college. I remember some of my friends got jobs there part time just to pay the booze bills. You wonder why you get crappy service sometimes? These kids would show up for work the day after partying till 3am! :D

Dish took advantage of the area because it was filled with:
1. College kids looking for extra cash
2. Poor rural farmer type people

HokieEngineer said:
Dish has a call center down in Christiansburg, VA. Thats about 10 minutes from where I went to college. I remember some of my friends got jobs there part time just to pay the booze bills. You wonder why you get crappy service sometimes? These kids would show up for work the day after partying till 3am! :D

Dish took advantage of the area because it was filled with:
1. College kids looking for extra cash
2. Poor rural farmer type people

No wonder why they chose to put a call center here in WV as well. They knew that people here needed the work but could get the work for cheaper. That is good for Dish because they get labor cheaper and good for the community because it brings in more jobs.

Van said:
honestly I hope they do this, it would be nice to not have to deal with the indian call center.

That is true. When I called a couple weeks ago I got that call center. I could hardly understand the guy. I alsmost asked him to switch me to some one that spoke better english but I just dropped what I was trying to get done because of not understanding him.

later,

BigJohn2

I could hardly understand the guy. I alsmost asked him to switch me to some one that spoke better english
You should have.

ALL OF US should handle these situations by saying "I can not understand you - give me someone that speaks english". Say ONLY that, and say it repeatedly.

SimpleSimon said:
You should have.

ALL OF US should handle these situations by saying "I can not understand you - give me someone that speaks english". Say ONLY that, and say it repeatedly.

I just say - Sorry to have bothered you - and call back....

Now I know why these CSR's don't know jack. I called a few weeks ago to ask for the codes to Ir blast my Panasonic VCR and the guy told me It would be in My VCR manual. After arguing with him for 10 or 15 mins I told him to just give me the dish remote codes for all Panasonic Vcr's he had. After i hung up the third code I tried worked.

joverstr2 said:
Man you got that right. How many "Johns" with heavy accents do they have?

This wasn't E* but I called HP the other day and got a guy with a bad Indian accent saying "Thank you for calling HP, my name is Steve." I just said, "Sure it is Steve."

I just ordered Vonage on Tuesday. Cancelled it today.

I paid for 2-day delivery. Vonage is so stupid they use DHL. :(
Their "2-day" was SCHEDULED for THREE, and didn't even make that!

Tried to deal with their Indian idiots. :mad:

Now trying SunRocket. Called their sales line and got what I thought was an American. I was half-right - he is NORTH American - as in North of the USA. :)

That's cool - if it's not gonna be an "American", I'm quite happy for it to be a Canadian - they're good folks, eh! :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts