Status
Please reply by conversation.

JonUrban

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Eastern Connecticut
I had Dish for 10 years or so, from the 4000 reciever up to the 922, but left them when they dumped SNY and most local sports 2 years ago. Went to cable, and today dumped them (Charter) and am now a DirecTV guy! For the first time ever, I had the provider do the installation, and the guy who came was great and dealt with my unusual installation. Everything is working and so far so good. However, I have two questions.

1) I got the Genie and it came with an additional box the installer set up for DirecTV Cinema/On Demand. He said that it had to be wireless, and set it up that way. The location of this install has a very low wireless signal, but in that rack, I have a hard wire network hub and could easily wire the extra box right to my network for full speed. However, he said he did not have the proper box with him to do that, and that I had to have a wireless connection. When I saw him set it up, there was a box on the screen to select ETHERNET and there is an ethernet jack on the back of the unit (and the Genie). So, the question is, can I just plug the CAT5 (or 6) cable that came in the box with the on demand unit and reconfigure for non wireless? I can't see why not, but the installer seemed to insist that it could not be done.

My second question involves the small receiver that is in another room for the second TV. It seems that at times I get remote control "runaway", like if I push DOWN, the receiver buffers 10 or 12 downs, and the grid runs away. This is very annoying. Is this common, or do I have a problem with either the remote or the unit?

Thanks, and boy, it's good to be back with satellite. I can't believe how horrible the cable companies DVRs are, low tech, low-fi, and low service.

no its not, try resetting the main box, push the red button under behind the door on right side

1) I got the Genie and it came with an additional box the installer set up for DirecTV Cinema/On Demand. He said that it had to be wireless, and set it up that way. The location of this install has a very low wireless signal, but in that rack, I have a hard wire network hub and could easily wire the extra box right to my network for full speed. However, he said he did not have the proper box with him to do that, and that I had to have a wireless connection. When I saw him set it up, there was a box on the screen to select ETHERNET and there is an ethernet jack on the back of the unit (and the Genie). So, the question is, can I just plug the CAT5 (or 6) cable that came in the box with the on demand unit and reconfigure for non wireless? I can't see why not, but the installer seemed to insist that it could not be done.
i have my HR34 aka the Genie hookup by Ethernet! so it can be done, i don't think my direcTV guy even left that Cinema Connection Kit with me but direcTV charge $99 for it when i asked him to just hook it up by Ethernet

Correct the Genie (HR34) has a deca built into the receiver it is the first DirecTV receiver that can be connected directly via Ethernet cable that connects to your home's network that will act as a hub for all your other DirecTV receivers in your home and still allow Whole Home DVR integration.

Once you connect an ethernet cable from your home's network to your Genie all your additional DirecTV receivers will also connected to the internet. I have two additional DVR's besides my HR34 and its nice and simple to get connectivity ( ie VOD ) on every DVR.

John

Correct the Genie (HR34) has a deca built into the receiver it is the first DirecTV receiver that can be connected directly via Ethernet cable that connects to your home's network that will act as a hub for all your other DirecTV receivers in your home and still allow Whole Home DVR integration.

Once you connect an ethernet cable from your home's network to your Genie all your additional DirecTV receivers will also connected to the internet. I have two additional DVR's besides my HR34 and its nice and simple to get connectivity ( ie VOD ) on every DVR.

John

Thanks John,

So let me get this straight. If I put the HR34 on my hub, I'm good? I don't even need the extra "cinema" box? If so, then the small remote receiver in the other room will also have access to On Demand and such? That would be great.

The thing the installed saw the hub right there, and I asked about hard wiring the internet, but he insisted that I absolutely needed the wireless box and connection, and if I wanted hard wire, I needed a different box that he did not have.

Confusing at best.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)