Couple of questions

Tigerfan55

Original poster
May 14, 2008
I am thinking about getting Dish Network, but I have a few questions and if anyone can answer them that would be great. First of all how exactly do the new receivers work? I understand that 4 receivers will work 2 TV's but how are they hooked up? Is it RF or cable? If cable what if I decide to move a TV do I have to go crawling around under the house to move the wires? Next I purchased a dish and receiver a few years ago to use when we go tailgating for football games. I use this every year, will I still be able to use these? Can I use the receiver that I have now to add a 5th TV on our screened in porch where we sit and watch TV during cookouts or sporting events? I am curious as to if my receiver that I have now will still work? Will I be able to use it the same way just take it and the dish to the tailgate spot and find the signal and it will all still work or will I have to register it and they charge me for that receiver. The dish I travel with is just a plain dish that should be attached to the house but it is on a tripod. So I guess my question is how exactly will that work now?

Next about the dual receivers want having one HD DVR that is in the living room and in another room fill up with space pretty fast since the wife and I both record shows. I know they have the external HD but it cost $40 even though that is a one time fee I really don't want to pay for something that I already have just for them to enable it.

I understand that 4 receivers will work 2 TV's but how are they hooked up? Is it RF or cable? If cable what if I decide to move a TV do I have to go crawling around under the house to move the wires?

Actually, 2 receivers will work 4 TVs, but who's counting? Each receiver has 2 tuners (the VIP622 and VIP722 HD DVRs have 3 for 2 TVs). The cable runs from the dish to the switch (usually at or near the dish) to the receiver, located at TV1. In your case, the HD DVR would be located in the living room with your HDTV. For HD, it connects to your TV using HDMI or component cables. A second cable runs from the receiver to TV2 in another room. TV2 is SD. If you move TV2, you have to have a way to get the cable to the new location. There are third-party RF solutions for this, but I've never seen one in action.

Next I purchased a dish and receiver a few years ago to use when we go tailgating for football games. I use this every year, will I still be able to use these? Can I use the receiver that I have now to add a 5th TV on our screened in porch where we sit and watch TV during cookouts or sporting events? I am curious as to if my receiver that I have now will still work? Will I be able to use it the same way just take it and the dish to the tailgate spot and find the signal and it will all still work or will I have to register it and they charge me for that receiver. The dish I travel with is just a plain dish that should be attached to the house but it is on a tripod. So I guess my question is how exactly will that work now?

Your post isn't completely clear. Do you have an exisiting DISH account? If it is a DISH receiver, unless it is outdated, you should be able to use it. You will have register it. I understand that you can register an "RV" receiver. I'm not sure what the charge is, if any. Most local channels are on spotbeams so, if you travel too far from home, you may not be able to pick them up.

Next about the dual receivers want having one HD DVR that is in the living room and in another room fill up with space pretty fast since the wife and I both record shows. I know they have the external HD but it cost $40 even though that is a one time fee I really don't want to pay for something that I already have just for them to enable it.

The VIP722 has a large hard drive that holds in the neighborhood of 300 hours SD and 55 hours HD programming. If you want to save more than that, the external hard drive is your only option. DISH charges the fee because they can. In the grand scheme of things, 40 bucks is a small price to pay to enable this feature. Seriously - you're going to drop a lot more than that on an external hard drive and you've got a LOT more than that invested in your whole system.

I hope this answers your questions. If not, all of these things have been discussed many times on this forum. The "Search" function is your friend!

Yeah I meant 2 receivers for 4 TV's

What I meant was that 2.5 years ago I bought a dish and receiver and only have the service turned on from September - November. Then I cut it off and store it until the next September. I am wondering if I could use that receiver for a 5th TV at home sitting out on my screened in porch then take it to the games on the weekend. Are the wires split like standard cable wires. The current cable comes in and then splits to 5 different areas of the house so can that be done with the Dish cable if I have an extra box that I own?

Nope no spits are allowed. Each receiver must have a home run line back the the dish itself that cannot be split in anyway. The line can be diplexed with the tv2 backfeed or OTA if desired though. The Dish and switches you have installed dictates how many receivers or tuners you can have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)